HGS versus AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lategate

Re: HGS versus AGS

Post by Lategate »

Apologies if this has been posted already- HGS have an open morning tomorrow at 9:30, by appointment only. I called earlier and this is the first chance i’ve had to post. There will be another on 20th March, offer letter from the school received today too.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Congratulations on the offer and I hope the open morning goes well. :D
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Ricky74 wrote:Congratulations on the offer and I hope the open morning goes well. :D
Thanks, DH will be taking DS, DH hasn’t seen HGS before apart from test day, which was not the best 1st impression...DS is excited and really wants his Dad to love it too.
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

Hello! We attended the open morning at HGS and it’s a beautiful school. Great atmosphere and my DS loves it! I handed in my acceptance slip!
Thanks to you all for your most valued support!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Brilliant! Happy for you all. Now you can start planning ahead for September - your son must be so excited. :D
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

El-jewel wrote:Hello! We attended the open morning at HGS and it’s a beautiful school. Great atmosphere and my DS loves it! I handed in my acceptance slip!
Thanks to you all for your most valued support!
If I dare to say so myself, HGS will have a fab September intake then! :D
I’m so glad that you both loved it, this forum has been such a source of support and advice. Very excited for us prospective HGS parents on here. :P
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Lategate I agree.
Margo

Post by Margo »

I've been lurking again over the last few days.
Congratulations on your place at HGS. My son is in Y7 and is so happy there. It is such a relief when you know where they are going and can start to plan.
I have twin boys in Y4 so have just caught up with Ricky74's story with interest! We would love them both to have the opportunity to go to HGS too....time with tell.
Margo
hopeful_parent

Post by hopeful_parent »

Hi

I am after a bit of advice from any parents whose DS’s attend/will attend Handsworth Grammar School for Boys from the Wolverhampton area. My DS has obtained a place at HGS but am concerned due to the distance.

We live in North Wolverhampton and have obtained a place at HGS and wanted to know how your DS’s find travelling to HGS and back? There is the obvious Metro/Tram option which we are considering but also wondering if anyone drives there and how that is?

Just wondered if you could share how long the commute is to HGS and also how far the walk is from Benson Rd stop to the school?

Also, any comments about the school would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks for any comments in advance
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

hopeful_parent wrote:Hi

I am after a bit of advice from any parents whose DS’s attend/will attend Handsworth Grammar School for Boys from the Wolverhampton area. My DS has obtained a place at HGS but am concerned due to the distance.

We live in North Wolverhampton and have obtained a place at HGS and wanted to know how your DS’s find travelling to HGS and back? There is the obvious Metro/Tram option which we are considering but also wondering if anyone drives there and how that is?

Just wondered if you could share how long the commute is to HGS and also how far the walk is from Benson Rd stop to the school?

Also, any comments about the school would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks for any comments in advance
Hi there, my ds goes to HGS but not from the Wolverhampton area. However I’ve been researching public transport routes for next year (currently using the green bus) and one option for us is train to New St then metro to Benson Road. We tried it one morning when he’d missed the bus and the walk was very straightforward. I’d say around 10-12 minutes along a residential road. And the metro was clean and fast.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now