Child's average score before 11+ test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sof.s

Child's average score before 11+ test?

Post by Sof.s »

My dd gets around 60-70% weekly in her 11+ tuition, I was wondering is there a chance for her to sit the test in Sep 18?

My question is if tutored how was your children doing in the months before the exam and did they get a good score once they sat the test?

Thanks in advance.
CharlotteandWilbur

Re: Child's average score before 11+ test?

Post by CharlotteandWilbur »

I think you still have a lot of time to increase those scores before the test.

My daughter did not do very well on the cgp 10 min tests she use to get about 40/50 per cent on the comprehension ones.She was stronger in maths and nvr, but she still managed to get a good score on the actual test.

On the full length tests she would get about 70 per cent, and we managed to improve on that over the months, speed is key
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

[quote="Sof.s"]My dd gets around 60-70% weekly in her 11+ tuition, I was wondering is there a chance for her to sit the test in Sep 18?

My question is if tutored how was your children doing in the months before the exam and did they get a good score once they sat the test?

Thanks in advance.[/quote

That sounds positive to me although it depends on the type of tests she’s doing. If it’s mixed papers by CGP and Letts, they seem to be quite a good indicator.

A couple of years back several people requested actual scores in the 11 plus test. From what I remember 55-60% resulted in a score of around 210-215. Children who got in the 60%s were getting in the 220s,70% plus was a Five Ways score and CHB required about 80%.

This seemed to tally with the test papers we did as ds got 213 in the 11 plus and used to get around 60% in test papers. This was in August though so you have plenty of time! It does depend what school you’re aiming for too - if it’s SCGS you should be on course, if it’s CHG she might need to increase her scores a bit.
um

Post by um »

It's absolutely impossible to say, without seeing the papers.
Perhaps if you could explain exactly which ones, posters can help more?

FPTP books on this website do have an online facility where you can compare your child's score with other children nationally - that could help give a clearer indication?
kentish_man

Post by kentish_man »

I can actually tell you a genuine percentage vs 11+ scores from this year.
65% on paper 1, and 70% on paper 2 equated to a score of 232 for a Feb. born child this year.
(We had some very specific reasons for enquiring as to the breakdown between papers, which I won't bore you with here)

The thing I remember from those 10 minute tests, and the 3 or 4 mock exams he did (Mostly CGP) is that the scores would vary quite a lot. (Both between tests, and between categories)
Overall results could vary from 55% to 75% - depending upon types of questions that cropped up, child's mood that day, direction of the wind, phase of the moon etc.
Likewise there were significant strengths and weaknesses that varied between sections.
50% was common on the longer, harder comprehensions - which was worrying at the time. But then he could get 85% in the maths sections on a good day.
Likewise the NVR score could vary quite a bit depending on what specific type cropped up.

Oh, and as we found out....
The Bond CEM books/mock exams are significantly harder than the CGP ones. It makes about 10% difference in scores from my experience.
Bond might be useful to shake out any complacency, but they're not great for confidence building!
The average score on CGP tests was pretty close to the actual 11+ percentage, so I'd use them as a guide.
Sof.s

Post by Sof.s »

Thanks everyone.

She gets her score from her tutor who would do a paper that contains VR, NVR, NR & maths in her 2 hour session.

She has recently done a mock test in that session and got 52% in VR & Maths and 90% in her NVR. I also gave her a timed CGP mock test and she got 62% overall but did notice her weakness in VR. Resulting in us focusing on her vocabulary and VR using the CGP 10 minute tests to increase her score.

She wants to go to SCGS so bad and I see her determination so hopefully that will be enough.
um

Post by um »

The best thing to do is speak to the tutor - he/she will know what previously successful pupils had been scoring and what is expected.

It seems as though you are doing the right things and that your daughter is determined to be successful :D
Her NVR sounds super!

Don't forget that her VR skills are also built by reading good books, regularly.
Moonsun

Post by Moonsun »

My advice is just encourage your child to do their best--60 percent at this stage is goid
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

I have been threw this process 3 times diy 100% success rate

Main fundamentals DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE on your children with this constant testing my children never did mocks or anything they have enough testing in school already so are used to the conditions

Also anything more than 45 mins 2 an hour a child loses there attention span so these 2hour sessions are a waste 2 me lining tutors pockets why do you think school lessons are an hour long each

I Never tested my kids once made them do the same books over & over & over & over again for an hour a day Never tested on speed until the final 3 months if they can't do the question how they going to do it quickly then.

I will swear by BONDS nothing else for me & my family best £150 I have ever spent

If I see Mr bonds on the street i would shake him by the hand take him for a slap up meal & a cruise around the world

Remember they are children first & foremost we as parents just want what's best for them but don't over do it you have to find the right balance.

My kids love football cricket tennis snooker swimming cinema playing violin & not forgetting the ps4 variety is the key not just studying. I was a child once too!!!! :D

My children came out the test smiling & found it easy. I knew in myself I had done something right!
beepdad

Post by beepdad »

My son didn't go to a private tutor but I did go through CGP books and example tests with him at home in the summer leading up to the test.

We hadn't started by this time last year but his practice test scores varied between 65 and 80 percent. Main thing that made a difference was how motivated he was feeling and what the exercise types were - some seemed to be easy for him whereas other question types he found very tough.

In the end he got a good score and has been accepted to QMGS so we are happy, but we always approached it with him that he probably won't get in (even though we know he is bright) but it would be fun to see how he got on with the test. We didn't want him to feel pressured, or build up to big disappointment if he pinned his hopes on getting there and then didn't make it.

My advice would be to think about how your daughter will react if she doesn't get in, which is statistically the most likely outcome. Approach the whole learning/testing/application process in the best way you can to mitigate against any huge disappointment or feeling of failure. Perhaps work on the assumption that she will be going to the local comp and the test is a just in case you can get a place at the grammar.

Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now