Sutton Girls Culture

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MathsMonster

Sutton Girls Culture

Post by MathsMonster »

My first time posting here. DD will be taking exams this year and just wondered if anyone can give me insight into what life is like at Sutton Girls?

I know it is good academically, but have heard from a number of people that it can be difficult to settle in, highly pressured (even for academic children), and that it can be best to 'keep you head down' and 'not get involved in any nonsense' - whatever that means!?

Would be great to hear from someone with experience of the school what it is really like?
crazycrofter

Re: Sutton Girls Culture

Post by crazycrofter »

Hmm... I wouldn’t pay a huge amount of attention to that sort of information unless it’s come from people with girls there now?

I don’t have any experience of Sutton Girls although my daughter had an offer, but she went to KEHS in the end. However I’d have thought there was ‘nonsense’ at all schools! These are pre-teens and teens we’re talking about! So that advice seems fairly generic.

As for academic pressure, most selective schools seem to be accused of that and I’m pretty sure there are girls who do feel under pressure. You can control parental pressure though - I know for a fact that some of the girls in my daughter’s year who get stressed are under a lot of pressure from parents. Sometimes girls come under pressure from each other but I suspect that highly conscientious girls choose similar friends whatever school they go to and that can be the source of the problem.

Sorry not to be more helpful with regards that particular school but I’ve never read anything negative about it on here - which was why we put it as our first choice three years ago.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Hi,
DD2 is currently in year 9 at scgsg.
DD1 also went there but now in sixth form elsewhere (no reflection on the school - she wanted to take a subject they don't offer).
Neither of them have had any problems there and have loved the school. My 2 are completely different - DD1 had a small friendship group and did not go to any clubs etc, DD2 has a large friendship group and is more of a joiner - currently doing cheerleading after school!
It is an academic school but not highly pressurised and the pastoral support is great. DD2 was an awful speller when she started but chose to go to the lunchtime spelling group and has really improved.
I can't say there is no bullying at all but mine have never come across any and say although there are different groups ie/ the populars, the sporty kids, the geeks etc they all respect each other and there are no issues.
For the record DD2 scored 213 and only got her place in the July (cut off 215 that year). She has not struggled at all and is really glad she's there.
Hope that helps!
Please ask if there's anything else you want to know.
MathsMonster

Post by MathsMonster »

Thank you so much for such detailed replies :-)

crazycrofter- yes I thought the same- you can hear good and bad about any school if you look for it :-) so true! I hear mixed reviews from parents of current pupils, but you're right - that could be the case anywhere. I hope your DD has settled well at her school. Can I ask what is KEHS like? KEHS and SCGS are our favourite choices (if she passes!) KEHS would be number 1 if it were closer or if she managed to get a scholarship, but the journey puts me off, as SCGS is right on the door step. So we are really 50/50 if she passes for both (maybe it will be decided for us!). I know there is a bus that goes from the Scott Arms but I believe it is a public bus but not sure exactly how public it is. I also noticed the ISI report suggests parents are very satisfied with KEHS, but its from a few years ago, and I think the Head and Deputy has changed since- plus I know the reports aren't always that accurate anyway!

booellesmum - that is so useful- thank you for such a lot of detail. Sounds like they both have had a great experience of school- that is great! Can I ask is it heavily weighted on science/maths or is there plenty of drama/art etc?

Thank you again for the replies - so helpful to hear from someone who is there

:-)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

No, not heavily weighted to science/maths at all.
Everyone takes 3 separate sciences at gcse and English lang/lit, Maths and a language (French or Spanish). That leaves 3 free choices - could take a second language as 1 of these.
They do music, art, drama, R.E, history, geography, food tech, D&T (textiles, graphics and resistant materials) and computing in 7/8/9 and then business studies is offered at gcse.
DD1 took gcse drama and it was her favourite subject.
One of the lovely things about year 9 is Cloud 9.
Every other Wednesday afternoon through year 9 is Cloud 9. This is an enrichment programme and as part of that they can choose 3 options to take which each run for half a term. These have included first aid, self defence, voluntary work, batik, orienteering, jewellery making etc.
There is definitely a strong emphasis on the students having a well rounded experience.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

MathsMonster wrote:Thank you so much for such detailed replies :-)

crazycrofter- yes I thought the same- you can hear good and bad about any school if you look for it :-) so true! I hear mixed reviews from parents of current pupils, but you're right - that could be the case anywhere. I hope your DD has settled well at her school. Can I ask what is KEHS like? KEHS and SCGS are our favourite choices (if she passes!) KEHS would be number 1 if it were closer or if she managed to get a scholarship, but the journey puts me off, as SCGS is right on the door step. So we are really 50/50 if she passes for both (maybe it will be decided for us!). I know there is a bus that goes from the Scott Arms but I believe it is a public bus but not sure exactly how public it is. I also noticed the ISI report suggests parents are very satisfied with KEHS, but its from a few years ago, and I think the Head and Deputy has changed since- plus I know the reports aren't always that accurate anyway!

booellesmum - that is so useful- thank you for such a lot of detail. Sounds like they both have had a great experience of school- that is great! Can I ask is it heavily weighted on science/maths or is there plenty of drama/art etc?

Thank you again for the replies - so helpful to hear from someone who is there

:-)
Like Boellesmum, we’ve been really happy with KEHS. The extra curricular is very varied and heavily pushed. Dd has tried loads of different things over the last three years. She’s very happy there and doesn’t seem to feel under pressure! They’re not set for any subjects and everything is open to everyone. This is different from some of the grammars. Anyone can take Additional Maths at GCSE for example.

There’s a bit more flexibility at GCSE level than at state schools- dd will be dropping a Science to take an extra humanity as that’s really her thing. There’s also 6 languages on offer including Latin and Greek. Dd is not a linguist but she’s really enjoyed the Roman culture aspect of Latin and she’s hoping to pick up Classical Civilisation again at A Level. For years 10 and 11 they take 10 GCSEs and then choose an enrichment option for Wednesday afternoon from things like food tech, computer coding, engineering etc.

As for transport, it depends where you live. If you’re near the cross city line, loads of girls go north on the train towards Sutton. There’s a big group in my dd’s year. The bus to Scott Arms finishes at Walsall, where we used to live and dd took that for the first term of year 7. It’s theoretically a public bus but in reality it’s just KEHS girls and KES boys. Dd loved the bus journeys!

Hope that helps! We felt very lucky to have the choice and I’m sure dd would have loved SCGS too!
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

My Dd started at KEHS last september. Her 1st 6 months have been so good. She felt settled really quickly, doesnt feel any pressure and says the lessons are fun. She's enjoying the extra curricular and after the first 2 weeks doesn't seem to have that much homework. The staff seem very caring. The journey isn't too bad apart from when the bus broke down on thursday amid traffic chaos in the snow!
MathsMonster

Post by MathsMonster »

Thank you so much- thats all so helpful :D

booellesmum - thats great- Cloud 9 sounds great! Thank you so much :) It sounds like a lovely school. Can I ask do they get much homework? Sorry - last question I promise! :?

mum1115 - thats really interesting about the homework. I remember Cheltenham Ladies College talking about abolishing homework because of mental health- I wonder if they are doing a similar thing. I suppose that leaves more time for extra clubs etc. Glad she has settled and is enjoying it! :)

crazycrofter- that is really helpful- thank you so much. Love the sound of the enrichment. Sounds like it really is as good as it seems :D Thank you for all the info!

:)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

booellesmum - thats great- Cloud 9 sounds great! Thank you so much  It sounds like a lovely school. Can I ask do they get much homework? Sorry - last question I promise!

I asked DD2 and she said they are meant to get 3 pieces of homework a night. Think in year 7 they were 20 minutes each. There is a fair amount of homework and they have to revise for regular tests but neither of mine have found it unmanageable.

Edit: except the music homework set over Xmas in year 8. It took DD2 about 10 hours. When I mentioned it at parents evening it turned out it wasn't even compulsory. :roll:
MathsMonster

Post by MathsMonster »

Booellesmum- thank you that's really helpful. Sounds like a lovely school, and the homework doesn't sound too excessive for GS. Thank you for all your help :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now