Bishop Vesey welcome morning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

um

Bishop Vesey welcome morning

Post by um »

Just wondering if any members here had been to the BV welcome morning on Thursday?

It was quite packed out, and I really appreciated the chance for ds to go then, even though we'd attended open days :)
The train journey was pretty straightforward although the train was very late, but a lot of other BV parents were on there too so I didn't feel so bad :|
We've got the train there and back twice before so this time I made ds sort the journey and 'guide' me all the way (was slightly nervous we'd end up on a tour of Lichfield Cathedral but he managed it).

The Year 7s who showed us around were impressively eloquent, even though we spent some time talking about how they study French and German, to be told in the hall it was now French and Mandarin!
I could laugh as we've spent over 2 years teaching dc5 Mandarin - and dc4 (who is going!) doesn't know a word! Had best get started with him too then :D
Mids

Re: Bishop Vesey welcome morning

Post by Mids »

Hi yes we went. It was really busy wasn't it? Our year 7s were quite quiet although asked all questions including what does a detention actually involve. :|

No mandarin in this house so that'll be interesting!
TheThinEndOfTheWedge

Post by TheThinEndOfTheWedge »

Yes, we went :)

I agree, it was a great opportunity for DS to have yet another look around (even though this was the fourth time we've been...I'm pretty certain familiarity won't breed contempt ...well, I hope not anyway! :lol: ) He still felt a little bit overwhelmed by the size, compared to his small primary, but was more concerned that he didn't get the Geography room as his form room as it involves more stairs to climb! Lazy :wink:

It was very busy, wasn't it? I ended up waiting in the hall for DS and DH to come back from the tour as the corridors were so claustrophobic. It was a nice surprise to hear about the switch to Mandarin from German, I really think that in todays economic climate it will be much more of a benefit than German...very impressed that your DC is already learning (even if they aren't the one going to Veseys!) I think we'll have a little look at Mandarin on a language app, just to get him acquainted with it. Only 25 will continue into year 8 though? There will be stiff competition! :D

The year 7's were great, it does seem strange to think that DS might be doing that duty this time next year (also relieved to see that many of them were even smaller than he is...the anxiety of the summer born parent! :wink: )

We didn't do a trial run journey ourselves, but we are very close (1.5 miles) and know the bus and walking route very well - I think we'll do some practice runs in the next few months.

Now looking forward to the 10th May event - I may see you there um...I'll be the one looking permanently harassed...narrows it down, doesn't it? :wink:
um

Post by um »

Mids wrote:Hi yes we went. It was really busy wasn't it? Our year 7s were quite quiet although asked all questions including what does a detention actually involve. :|

So what does a detention actually involve? I have to know now! :lol:
um

Post by um »

TheThinEndOfTheWedge wrote:Yes, we went :)

Now looking forward to the 10th May event - I may see you there um...I'll be the one looking permanently harassed...narrows it down, doesn't it? :wink:
I can't find any info about a 10th May event :?: Please let us know!
TheThinEndOfTheWedge

um wrote:

Hi um,

It was at the bottom of the cover letter you probably received with your welcome pack - the one with all the forms to complete and return to Vesey's by the 15th. It just states briefly " There will be an induction evening on Thursday 10th May in Big School. Mr Kevin Doughty, Head of year 7, will provide information and offer advice in order to ensure a seamless move to Secondary education. Further details of that evening will be posted to you in due course"

Friends of children already there have said that the evening also usually involves putting groups of parents together depending on where you live - I think in a networking way so you can arrange car shares or meet up with your children and so they know other boys who will be coming into Sutton from their own area :)
TheThinEndOfTheWedge

um wrote:
Mids wrote:Hi yes we went. It was really busy wasn't it? Our year 7s were quite quiet although asked all questions including what does a detention actually involve. :|

So what does a detention actually involve? I have to know now! :lol:

Hope you don't mind me butting in, Mids :)

I have heard that detention just involves sitting at a desk in the hall/classroom for an hour, doing NOTHING. Absolutely nothing - no reading/homework etc allowed. I was a bit surprised, as I thought that it would probably allow an opportunity for learning whilst being punished, but having thought about it more, I can see that the sitting there in silence is punishment enough! If that info is correct, I'm glad I know now - if only to explain to DS what it would involve...I can imagine it may be a steep learning curve as far as remembering homework/PE kits is concerned - instant detention :o It'll be a lesson they learn quickly, I'm sure.
um

Post by um »

TheThinEndOfTheWedge wrote:
um wrote:

Hi um,

It was at the bottom of the cover letter you probably received with your welcome pack - the one with all the forms to complete and return to Vesey's by the 15th. It just states briefly " There will be an induction evening on Thursday 10th May in Big School. Mr Kevin Doughty, Head of year 7, will provide information and offer advice in order to ensure a seamless move to Secondary education. Further details of that evening will be posted to you in due course"

Friends of children already there have said that the evening also usually involves putting groups of parents together depending on where you live - I think in a networking way so you can arrange car shares or meet up with your children and so they know other boys who will be coming into Sutton from their own area :)
I can see this now :oops: - sadly had already booked tickets that day to see a National Theatre live cinema show!
Will need to miss it and rope ds1 in to go there with dd instead :D
Mids

Post by Mids »

I don't mind you answering at all. :D

Interestingly our y7 chap said he'd had to fill out a form regarding what he had done wrong which in his case was not doing homework. The idea of just having to sit there is a good one. We occasionally still use time out and the kids hate sitting doing nothing.

Our y7 chap also said detentions can be earnt for failing a test twice. His example was a language test.

He also said that he spends an average on 4 pounds a day on lunch. Some people do have packed lunches though.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

I read this thread with interest as it is amazing how policies vary so much from school to school. I asked DS1 if he would get a detention at HGS for the points you have mentioned, and the answer was no. If it’s a one off where you forget your sports kit they will lend you one; if you forget a book you will be given paper. DS once ‘lost’ his tie after games (was subsequently found in the washing basket with his kit :roll: ), but they just lent him one the following day - presumably as by the time he got home from school it was too late to go and buy another for the next day.

They give detention for not following instructions, consistently forgetting kit or non-completion of homework etc. For a one-off forgetting to bring homework is either bring it next lesson or stay in at break / lunch and do it again.

Out of curiosity, if only 25 continue with Mandarin into Y8, what do the other 125 study? Is it just French, or do they introduce another language?