HGS open morning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Caveman47

Re: HGS open morning

Post by Caveman47 »

My son absolutely loved it.

We had a very enjoyable experience and the prefects were amazing and shared their experience with us.

I'm so happy for my son.
Looking forward to the induction day on 4th July.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Caveman47 wrote:My son absolutely loved it.

We had a very enjoyable experience and the prefects were amazing and shared their experience with us.

I'm so happy for my son.
Looking forward to the induction day on 4th July.
That's great, so glad it was a positive experience! When we went for a morning tour, my son went in very grumpy - he didn't really want to go to a school anyway (he was home educated) and definitely not one in Handsworth! He would have been reasonably happy with Five Ways.. But he still came out really positive, which I thought was quite a result!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Glad you both loved it. The time will fly by now :D
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

I am pleased for you as well Caveman47.
No feeling more reassuring and satisfying than knowing the next 7 years of your child’s life will be well spent.

And thanks helen0209, lategate, Ricky74 for the useful tips and advise!
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Thanks helen, the info is so helpful. I’m glad that uniform isn’t over-specific (and bonkers expensive), I think i’d be stressing over DS wearing a £40 pair of trousers every day.

Glad your son enjoyed the morning Caveman, it’s reassuring to feel that the hard work and stress has a positive result.

Thanks to you too El-Jewel, I have gleaned so much info from your posts.
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

On the subject of purchasing uniform.......last year on Induction Day in July, Clive Mark had a stand in the sports hall selling all the necessary items. We waited to buy it all then rather than go to their shop before-hand and glad we did as we were given a £10 voucher off a minimum spend - I think it was £120, so it is worth waiting until then.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Penguin Mom on the subject of Induction Day...how does it work for the parents?

Do I need to have a day off or what?

My school has induction day on the same day.

Lategate: It is a good feeling to finally know the school.
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

The boys have to be there at the normal time, 8:30ish if I remember correctly and stay all day for sample lessons, a tour of the school etc. They had a free school lunch provided. Some wore primary uniforms, some wore their own clothes, no rules on this.

The parents were asked to attend at around 3pm where we were re-united with the children in the dining hall, it was very full with several hundred people in there and it was a very hot day but refreshments were available. We were then taken in turn (2 large groups depending on allocated House) to attend a 30 minute talk in the main hall from the Head. There was a brief opportunity to talk to your allocated Form Tutor and meet any boys (and parents of) with whom they had made friends during the day. Some of the senior teachers were on hand for questions too. Following this everyone moved into the sports hall to make purchases of uniform. We left at around 5pm.

We were given an information pack and forms to complete including permission for the Whitemoor Lakes residential (in May of the following year) registration details for the School Gateway and consent form for the biometric cashless catering system among others.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Penguin Mom: Oh that's great. Thanks. I know what to do now which is great. lol

I think we might look to purchase some of the uniform on that day.
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

Penguin Mom wrote:The boys have to be there at the normal time, 8:30ish if I remember correctly and stay all day for sample lessons, a tour of the school etc. They had a free school lunch provided. Some wore primary uniforms, some wore their own clothes, no rules on this.

The parents were asked to attend at around 3pm where we were re-united with the children in the dining hall, it was very full with several hundred people in there and it was a very hot day but refreshments were available. We were then taken in turn (2 large groups depending on allocated House) to attend a 30 minute talk in the main hall from the Head. There was a brief opportunity to talk to your allocated Form Tutor and meet any boys (and parents of) with whom they had made friends during the day. Some of the senior teachers were on hand for questions too. Following this everyone moved into the sports hall to make purchases of uniform. We left at around 5pm.

We were given an information pack and forms to complete including permission for the Whitemoor Lakes residential (in May of the following year) registration details for the School Gateway and consent form for the biometric cashless catering system among others.
Very useful. Thanks Penguin Mum.
Hearing this makes me all teary :cry: it's all so real now, my baby starts secondary in a few months! :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now