BWWW waiting list 2018 - current status

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

helen0209

Re: BWWW waiting list 2018 - current status

Post by helen0209 »

Katie custard wrote:Just called ...still 5th for BV with a score of 219.......seems impossible :-( Losing the will to live
Remain positive, still only the beginning of May :)
Macmum

Post by Macmum »

Still 14th for QMGS!

Despite quite a lot of movement for Bishop Vesey recently, it has had no impact on their waiting list.

Admissions just said it is 'stable' at the moment.

I've tried to remain hopeful but feeling really deflated now. Any other year on 334 he'd have had no problem. Any of the Birmingham Grammar schools, being in 19th position on 1st March, he'd probably have had an offer by now, or some time soon.

Just one of those things but feels pretty bad right now.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Macmum wrote:Still 14th for QMGS!

Despite quite a lot of movement for Bishop Vesey recently, it has had no impact on their waiting list.

I've tried to remain hopeful but feeling really deflated now. Any other year on 334 he'd have had no problem. Any of the Birmingham Grammar schools, being in 19th position on 1st March, he'd probably have had an offer by now, or some time soon.

Sorry to hear that. They usually hear appeals this time at QM (not sure if that impacts on list as I thought they possibly stopped offering off w/list during appeals).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Macmum

Post by Macmum »

Thanks Ricky74, you're always so supportive!

It just feels like everything is conspiring against us! It's fab to see the other lists moving and kids getting into the school they so desperately want, but at the same time, I'm a little envious. I'd love to give my son some positive news (although I haven't mentioned anything to him lately). If he does ask, I do tell him, but his mind is on his SAT's for now so it's not been so much of an issue lately.

I don't know about the appeal thing, perhaps it has a bearing. I'm trying to keep thinking logically, in that potentially 3 LA's could be involved in the decline/acceptance/re-offering of a school place. That has to take a fair amount of time. It could just be an exceptional year with no more movement at all for QMGS. I suppose only time will tell but the waiting...........and waiting........ :cry:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Macmum wrote:Still 14th for QMGS!

I still can't work out whats been going on with QMGS this year.

Based on previous years I can only say be patient and be ready to wait until the last minute.For the score to move to 334 would only be half the expected movement. Since 337 is a much higher score,all things being equal,you would expect greater movements on these higher scores than previous years relatively lower scores not withstanding the pp effect.

It is nerve-wracking and frustrating waiting but those chewed finger nails should hopefully be worth it.Keep up the fight.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Macmum

Post by Macmum »

Thanks Quasi!

It certainly is a puzzle this year! They didn't offer over PAN, and have only moved 6 places down the list (5 of which came at the same time on 29/03).

I'm going to try and put it to the back of my mind for a couple of weeks. Fingers firmly crossed though.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Good idea! I've had a lot of support on here and the wait is still fresh.

I just hope others can catch a break as we did.

There is still time. Appeals will be in train (they seldom offer any places through appeal unless it's their error) and I think lists will be frozen for a week or so.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Macmum, there seem to be a few lists which are moving extremely slowly this year, so hopefully you’ll see something soon. It probably seems a lifetime away, but there may be no shows for induction day in July which will help it move again.
I think we are all baffled by such a rise in cut-off, and my heart goes out to you - based on previous years we would have been pretty certain of a place with a score of 334. Try and remain patient and put it to the back of your mind (easier said than done I know).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Ricky74 wrote:Good idea! I've had a lot of support on here and the wait is still fresh.

I just hope others can catch a break as we did.

There is still time. Appeals will be in train (they seldom offer any places through appeal unless it's their error) and I think lists will be frozen for a week or so.
Sorry, but a) it isn't the school offering anything through appeals - the Independent Appeals Panel decides whether or not an appellant's case outweighs that of the school and the decision the IAP comes to
is legally binding on both and b) the appeals process doesn't (or at least, shouldn't) 'freeze' the waiting list system. If a current place holder withdraws, then the next applicant on the waiting list should be offered that place, appeals notwithstanding. It isn't actually in the school's interest to do otherwise, as it hardly improves its case for the presenting officer to have to admit to the IAP that, 'Actually, the figures before you aren't correct as of this morning - since we prepared the paperwork, five DC have given up their places and we haven't re-offered them, so as of today, the incoming year 7 Is five under PAN'. :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Katie custard

Post by Katie custard »

bucketbarlow123 wrote:Son is now 1st for BV (score of 219, 1 mile from school, started at position 22)
Bucket Barlow - Do you have a place ? Just been told we are 2nd!!!!! so close!!!!