paulgreen

Re: BWWW waiting list 2018 - current status

Post by paulgreen »

For Handsworth boys the KE foundation is keeping the w/l not LA
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

conroyiwhiwhu wrote:
Caveman47 wrote:With a score of 211 surely you've got offered a place at a Grammar School?
Only if it was our first choice on the CAF, it wasn't. It should be interesting to know where 211 sits on the WL now.
Was HGS on your CAF? Were you declined your first choice/s based on score or were you offered a comp? Or did you perhaps turn down QM? Curious now as want to check you haven't wrongly missed out on a place.
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

Ricky74 wrote:
conroyiwhiwhu wrote:
Caveman47 wrote:With a score of 211 surely you've got offered a place at a Grammar School?
Only if it was our first choice on the CAF, it wasn't. It should be interesting to know where 211 sits on the WL now.
Was HGS on your CAF? Were you declined your first choice/s based on score or were you offered a comp? Or did you perhaps turn down QM? Curious now as want to check you haven't wrongly missed out on a place.
We had HGS on the CAF below the Comp that was offered. Got email from the foundation now, DS is number 3 with 211.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Oh ok.

Our son scored lower than 211 but I remember the Head saying that we should put HGS as our first choice if we wanted that school. My son loved it and so we put it first.

Being number 3 should mean your son will be there come Sept.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Yes Conroy, expect you will hear from them very soon.
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

The person I spoke to in LA said WL moved 67 Places last year for HGS Boys.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I can confirm it did - we were 67 (or thereabouts) :D
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

I wonder why HGS Boys has so much WL movement. Could it be because it's situated in a "ghetto"? Still trying to clear my doubt.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

conroyiwhiwhu wrote:I wonder why HGS Boys has so much WL movement. Could it be because it's situated in a "ghetto"? Still trying to clear my doubt.
I think all the schools have a fair bit of movement - each child only goes to one school and many of the kids going to the local private schools will have a GS place that becomes available - when they give up a space then a child who is on the waiting list gets it, giving up another space at another school.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

conroyiwhiwhu wrote:I wonder why HGS Boys has so much WL movement. Could it be because it's situated in a "ghetto"? Still trying to clear my doubt.
I think Five Ways also has a lot of movement - often around 60 places. In their case I think it’s because when places get offered at CHG or CHB places are often then released at FW - so they have two lists, boys and girls. trickling down to theirs at the same time

With HGS, as their entry scores are lower they have to wait longer for the list to move. For example, imagine the potential efeect of a boy releasing a place at CHB in April because he has a place at KES. His place at CHB gets offered to a boy with a place at FW - he accepts a week later and it might be May before the FW place is offered. If it goes to a boy with a place at KEA, it might be late May before the KEA place is re-offered. If that place is accepted by a boy who had an HGS offer, the HGS place might not get re-offered til June. It probably doesn’t take that long but you get the idea!

This means that HGS places come up in July/Aug/Sept when some people will turn them down as their sons have been to induction days elsewhere. I suspect that when you hear they’ve offered to place 65 or whatever a lot of the later offers we’re turned down due to timing.