Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:33 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 155
ds205 wrote:
Lategate wrote:
In case it’s of any use- my son said there were 2 no shows in his form group today at HGS. Fingers crossed for those waiting.

My DS is 3rd on HGS. There should be last one waiting on 206.



WOW!

That's encouraging to know ds205.

My son was saying that in his form he was speaking to a few of the boys and they were asking about scores. lol

Anyway in his form class one boy got 250, another one 220, another one 208 and another one 207. So I good range of results. Fingers crossed for you but I get the feeling that you'll be shopping very soon for HGS uniform :)

All the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:10 am
Posts: 420
ds205 wrote:
Lategate wrote:
In case it’s of any use- my son said there were 2 no shows in his form group today at HGS. Fingers crossed for those waiting.

My DS is 3rd on HGS. There should be last one waiting on 206.


Wow, the list has suddenly started to move quickly! I should think your ds will get his place soon, fingers crossed!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 pm
Posts: 45
I am dreading this next year, it doesn’t seem like there is much information in regards to girls schools movement is this the case or an I just missing it, we’re off to Camp Hill Girls tonight for open evening DD is very excited.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:50 am
Posts: 25
Thank you crazycrofter and Caveman47. Touch wood.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:10 am
Posts: 420
Caveman47 wrote:
ds205 wrote:
Lategate wrote:
In case it’s of any use- my son said there were 2 no shows in his form group today at HGS. Fingers crossed for those waiting.

My DS is 3rd on HGS. There should be last one waiting on 206.



WOW!

That's encouraging to know ds205.

My son was saying that in his form he was speaking to a few of the boys and they were asking about scores. lol

Anyway in his form class one boy got 250, another one 220, another one 208 and another one 207. So I good range of results. Fingers crossed for you but I get the feeling that you'll be shopping very soon for HGS uniform :)

All the best.


I was told they try to allocate kids to classes by 11 plus score, so that each class has a good range of abilities (if 11 plus marks really indicate ability! From what I remember, my son's year 7 class sounds similar. The boy who got 250 plus always gets full marks in tests - according to ds he knows everything!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 155
crazycrofter:

I would rather set them randomly. The key stage 2 data is out next week and I thought that might be a good way of setting them. Then again I do know of many schools that have mixed ability classes. I guess the only way is to set them based on the 11 plus score.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:10 am
Posts: 420
Caveman47 wrote:
crazycrofter:

I would rather set them randomly. The key stage 2 data is out next week and I thought that might be a good way of setting them. Then again I do know of many schools that have mixed ability classes. I guess the only way is to set them based on the 11 plus score.


Sorry if my post was confusing - they're not set as such. They use the scores to ensure that there's a similar range of abilities in each class, so all the classes are equal. They do set for Maths from year 8.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 633
crazycrofter wrote:
Caveman47 wrote:
crazycrofter:

I would rather set them randomly. The key stage 2 data is out next week and I thought that might be a good way of setting them. Then again I do know of many schools that have mixed ability classes. I guess the only way is to set them based on the 11 plus score.


Sorry if my post was confusing - they're not set as such. They use the scores to ensure that there's a similar range of abilities in each class, so all the classes are equal. They do set for Maths from year 8.


Caveman - read page 6 of the A-Z of info you got yesterday under ‘Forms’. It says five forms of parallel ability - they are mixed ability - albeit all pretty similar, but in sets for different subjects as they progress through the school.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 pm
Posts: 139
helen0209 wrote:
crazycrofter wrote:
Caveman47 wrote:
crazycrofter:

I would rather set them randomly. The key stage 2 data is out next week and I thought that might be a good way of setting them. Then again I do know of many schools that have mixed ability classes. I guess the only way is to set them based on the 11 plus score.


Sorry if my post was confusing - they're not set as such. They use the scores to ensure that there's a similar range of abilities in each class, so all the classes are equal. They do set for Maths from year 8.


Caveman - read page 6 of the A-Z of info you got yesterday under ‘Forms’. It says five forms of parallel ability - they are mixed ability - albeit all pretty similar, but in sets for different subjects as they progress through the school.


I like the idea of “mixed ability” groupings for our DS. Especially given the smaller scope of ability in the school in comparison to a typical comp. I think it will motivate them all to achieve whilst creating an even playing field for them all to settle in to. Less daunting at being labelled according to score and certainly more motivating for them all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 155
helen0209 wrote:
crazycrofter wrote:
Caveman47 wrote:
crazycrofter:

I would rather set them randomly. The key stage 2 data is out next week and I thought that might be a good way of setting them. Then again I do know of many schools that have mixed ability classes. I guess the only way is to set them based on the 11 plus score.


Sorry if my post was confusing - they're not set as such. They use the scores to ensure that there's a similar range of abilities in each class, so all the classes are equal. They do set for Maths from year 8.


Caveman - read page 6 of the A-Z of info you got yesterday under ‘Forms’. It says five forms of parallel ability - they are mixed ability - albeit all pretty similar, but in sets for different subjects as they progress through the school.


Oh lol

I will have a look. Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nella and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2019