September 2018 anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Inner Chimp

Re: September 2018 anyone?

Post by Inner Chimp »

crazycrofter wrote:
Inner Chimp wrote:Thank you all your advice is much appreciated. Helen I don’t think my DD can skim read she ends up not understanding anything then. Maybe I need to practice this. My previous DS got through few years back and read the whole thing properly within time. I thought that’s what they were supposed to do and not skim read? I agree about the 10 min tests she’s scoring in the fifties for test papers but I think she will need 60-70% raw score?
Which school are you aiming for? 60% is probably required for girls schools but you’ve got plenty of time yet!

We are being realistic, Sutton would be great as would Handsworth or Five Ways.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

Cecilcaterpillar wrote:maybe you could start with setting timed test for timestables, hit the button is great for this. My youngest is completely different to the oldest and will panic at the start of anything homework related but after 2 minutes of stressball squeezing and "mindfulness breathing" she's good to go, maybe some breathing techniques might work before actually starting the test.
thankfully we have a couple of years to practise the timing.
one thing that came out from my oldest is the number of questions v time for the NVR, it is really tight (I was told 20secs per question) and the children need to learn to make educated guesses rather than working each one out, so that might be a good one to work on with tests nearer the date.
Thank you fir your advice must useful. Timings are so tight I agree. I think I need more of the breathing exercises than she does Lol
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Inner Chimp wrote:
crazycrofter wrote:
Inner Chimp wrote:Thank you all your advice is much appreciated. Helen I don’t think my DD can skim read she ends up not understanding anything then. Maybe I need to practice this. My previous DS got through few years back and read the whole thing properly within time. I thought that’s what they were supposed to do and not skim read? I agree about the 10 min tests she’s scoring in the fifties for test papers but I think she will need 60-70% raw score?
Which school are you aiming for? 60% is probably required for girls schools but you’ve got plenty of time yet!

We are being realistic, Sutton would be great as would Handsworth or Five Ways.
Are you in a location where QMHS is also possible? If so, it’s worth having a go as there’s always a chance one exam will go better than the other. Plus QM is slightly more weighted towards maths.

Ds took the test the year before last and confirmed that the worst section for time pressure is NVR. If you apply via Warks they give a breakdown between maths and NVR (Bham dont) and He did indeed do really badly in that section! So worth practising speed in that area particularly.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Yes, to the QM suggestion (if it's possible). Mine were always much stronger in maths and NVR and this showed in the difference between the Birmingham and Walsall results.

Comprehension especially was tougher due to time constraints and not knowing the meaning of some words or some of the subtext.

What I gleaned from this that while we did practice antonyms and synonyms, nothing could replace reading books - which I've always had to 'encourage' them to do. I also wish we'd done more skim reading and some of the official test centre tests.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

Thank you both Ricky and crazycrofter I will consider your advice. Not keen on QM the distance would be a nightmare but I get your point. Role on September I’m tired of it already!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Which area are you in Inner?
Candel

Post by Candel »

Hi InnerChimp - I'm with you on the stressed with timings thing!
I like the stress ball and breathing approach Cecil & we're certainly going to leave the speed practice for a bit. We're also tring to get over her fear of mistakes issue. She's far too methodical and conscientious for the 11+ and likes to get everything right. The complete opposite of her brother who just wanted to do everything quickly, competitively and didn't care how many mistakes he made. :roll:
On the plus side - her attitude to work will stand her in good stead wherever she ends up!
Good luck with the prep everyone.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

Ricky74 wrote:Which area are you in Inner?
Halesowen which makes travelling to Walsall too far
Raych

Post by Raych »

So glad there a 2018 Group , and to learn it’s not just me that’s in a panic , DD has been making great progress we started working towards this in October but the last 2 weeks her marks have dropped by 30% when doing home tests has anyone else experienced this with their DC ,, any advice would be really appreciated

I’m letting her have a night off tonight, but she wants to practice Argghhh :?
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Raych wrote:So glad there a 2018 Group , and to learn it’s not just me that’s in a panic , DD has been making great progress we started working towards this in October but the last 2 weeks her marks have dropped by 30% when doing home tests has anyone else experienced this with their DC ,, any advice would be really appreciated

I’m letting her have a night off tonight, but she wants to practice Argghhh :?
How much are you doing each week and is it marks across all areas or just a specific one?

From reading the above it sounds like you do something everyday, but I may have misinterpreted? Many breaks will help, and also shorter sessions - maybe some days just do a 10 minute test, but at a weekend when there is more time do a couple of 1/2 hour sessions? Do different subjects each time, and I wouldn’t worry about full blown tests at this stage.

Read plenty instead of doing book work - it may seem like a break, but is so beneficial and will pay dividends.

Instead of book work play word games - word association, stick words on doors and when she enters that room she has to give the definition, opposite meaning, put it into a sentence etc. It sounds like she enjoys learning if she wants to do more so you may not need to find ‘fun’ ways of doing it, but it would be a change from the norm and focus the brain in a different way.

Have you just started timing the tests so the marks have dropped because there is less time? Are the incorrect ones ‘silly errors’ or just where she really doesn’t know the answer? Are the incorrect ones all related to the same area (eg. Fractions, rotations, word banks)? Go through the paper in detail after so she understands the answers, and then revisit them in a couple of months to see if it has improved.

I would imagine that you are right in that she just needs a break, and once you pick it up again the marks will improve.

All the best.