September 2018 anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PoppyPup

Re: September 2018 anyone?

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi All,

I’m feeling the pain too ! One day up and another down.

The closer it’s getting to the exam the more stressful this is becoming, though am doing my best not to let this show.

Our weaker areas were speed and Maths, we’ve been working on these two areas. Speed is a real big issue and silly mistakes creep in.

My Dd sat three Shirley mock exams, March 64 %, May 64% and the recent one in Aug 76 %.

I think they use data from previous years (Score vs which school they have secured a place at ) and compare children’s latest mock scores to them.

My dd isn’t even 10 yet, won’t be 10 till a week before the actual exam. She’s shown a lot of maturity but she is still only 9 so how much can you expect from a 9 yr old (almost 10).

From what I’ve read, age standardisation could mean very little as it all depends on that cohort in any given year but I am keeping my fingers crossed that this helps my dd and makes it fairer for her.

As one poster said, were all doing our best and all our dc have worked towards the exam so we should be really proud, whatever the result may be.

Now I just have to take my own advice :roll:
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

Poppy pup this could be us, were not 10 until August our DD has maths and speed issues and scored 73 in Shirley mock, I so want it to be over now had enough of worrying
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi Inner chimp.

Same boat for both of us then !

Once we get past this prep and nerves of the exam, it will be waiting on results.
I do feel if my DD was another year older, we would be in a much stronger position.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

PoppyPup wrote:Hi Inner chimp.

Same boat for both of us then !

Once we get past this prep and nerves of the exam, it will be waiting on results.
I do feel if my DD was another year older, we would be in a much stronger position.
I know I agree she’s only just getting the hang of it but she’s way too slow. Oh well nice to know I’m not the only one on the brink of a breakdown! At the moment I just want it over with I can’t even think about the results build up
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Whatever the outcome Inner chimp, I feel so proud of my DD, she has come along way since the beginning of her 11 + journey.

I am sure you feel the same. All our dc have been aiming and working towards something, which is a life skill they will carry with them. :D
purple1234

Post by purple1234 »

4 weeks to go now ... getting nervous now! My issue is with comprehension... DD is not a natural reader (ie has to be encouraged to read on a daily basis rather than on her own initiative). When doing comprehension practice she either gets the text and scores well or spectacularly does not ... unfortunately it is usually the latter :? Practising but no consistentdncy in the scores ....
Starchild

Post by Starchild »

Can I just ask (and excuse my ignorance here) but what is the snobbery that surrounds pupil premium children “taking up” (as I’ve seen it being referred to on here) places?
I am aware that there is a lower threshold for these children to reach, but my understanding is that it is to provide a fair chance for those who can’t afford private tutors. If a pupil premium child is tutored this does not mean they will “not cope” at school. It could mean that their parents (as the majority do) want the best for their child. My daughter is pupil premium, is currently being tutored in readiness for her exams and also because she enjoys it too.. She is working on year 7 work and only just entering year 5. Our family situation is I am a single parent of 3, one of which is disabled, one a baby, therefore I am unable to work right now, this should not mean my highly intelligent daughter should miss out, I cut back in other things to be able to afford this for her. My hope for her is that she never comes across this snobbery when she attends her next school. I was wrongly under the impression it no longer existed, however after reading this board I’m clearly wrong. It’s strong in the parents and although I bet nobody would admit it, the majority have passed this belief down to their children? I understand you want a place for your children, but you really should be ashamed of yourselves about how you stereotype these “pp” children and their parents who are “not interested in their children’s schooling”!!!
Raych

Post by Raych »

OMG where has the time gone, seriously can’t believe we have o e final weekend until the actual test,, my dd has totally gone downhill from consistently scoring 90-95% she is now scoring in the 30s I am about to have a breakdown I’ve given her a week off hoping that the rest might help but nothing she is making the silliest mistakes ,, I just don’t know what to do any advice is welcomed
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Raych wrote:OMG where has the time gone, seriously can’t believe we have o e final weekend until the actual test,, my dd has totally gone downhill from consistently scoring 90-95% she is now scoring in the 30s I am about to have a breakdown I’ve given her a week off hoping that the rest might help but nothing she is making the silliest mistakes ,, I just don’t know what to do any advice is welcomed
My son was the same last year.

The last two mock papers we gave him he made mistakes.

I would go over the mistakes/errors that's she is doing and do them again.

Please don't panic. She may well be picking it up from you.

Very important to remain calm.

For the last week try to do very little cramping. I kept a list of mistakes my son was making and we would go over them and talk about his timing.

The last two days before the 11plus we did absolutely nothing...but it is entirely up to you what you want to do.

All the best.

Trust me...When she sees the actual questions all the things that's embedded in her will come out.
Raych

Post by Raych »

Thanks Caveman

I hope so do you mind me asking how you son did in actual exam and how he was doing in home prep before