September 2018 anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Candel

Re: September 2018 anyone?

Post by Candel »

Hi PoppyPup

We're trying to do a bit too - but lots of holiday stuff keeps getting in the way. Like you we're working on the maths speed when we get a chance. My dd sounds a bit like yours - she's capable and accurate but doesn't like to be hurried!

I'm trying not to get too worried about the exam as there is a decent non-grammar alternative locally but most of her friends are taking the 11+ and talking about it - so it has become more of a 'thing' with her than I would have liked it to be. That doesn't seem to translate into actually wanting to do any work though - so perhaps I shouldn't be too worried about her!

Good luck!
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi Candel,

Like your daughter, mine too has a lot of friends taking the 11plus and yes, they talk about it amongst themselves, can cause more worry for them but at the same time it’s good that they have freinds that they can talk to.

I’m not sure with so few weeks to go whether mine will increase her Maths speed much so just have to let it be. Trying to convince her to move on from a question is very difficult.

I am starting to feel a bit nervous, not showing it though. I’m nervous for my daughter as she wants a particular school and who knows how the exam will go.

I laughed at your “not wanting to do any work” as I think that may be the case for a lot of kids. :lol:

Good luck with your prep and the exam too.
Raych

Post by Raych »

How do I get overall score for the bond test paper packs please I’ve got scores for each section just not sure how to work out score for whole test ,, hope this makes sense ,,, so stressful last few weeks
bewilderedofbearwood

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

Hello everyone. Sorry Raych I don't know about the Bond papers.

I don't feel like our summer is going very well at all. I tried to keep DS going with prep until he was due to go away for his holidays but he was clearly tired of it all and performance was getting worse (mainly lack of concentration errors). He's having 2 weeks off and I am now just hoping he can get back to where he was about 6 weeks ago.

Oh well best laid plans and all that. Who knows what will happen! Good luck everyone.
Raych

Post by Raych »

It’s getting so stressful now, last few weeks and I feel like im trying to push Dd and she’s not interested I feel like she just don’t want it bad enough
bewilderedofbearwood

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

Raych wrote:It’s getting so stressful now, last few weeks and I feel like im trying to push Dd and she’s not interested I feel like she just don’t want it bad enough
It is very stressful isn't it. I think it is hard for children to be sustained in their motivation sometimes - where they go to school in over a year's time must seem a long way away. I don't think the heat has helped either. I know my son has found some elements of the test harder than he expected and this has knocked his confidence and I think this is leading him to back off from trying as hard as he could.

The only consolation is that there is only one month left of this!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Raych wrote:How do I get overall score for the bond test paper packs please I’ve got scores for each section just not sure how to work out score for whole test ,, hope this makes sense ,,, so stressful last few weeks
All we did was add them together and then work out an overall %. Some sections DS2 was getting around 80% and others 50%, so think we averaged about 67% once they were all put together. He went on to score 217 if there is any correlation. All the best.
Macmum

Post by Macmum »

Last year I found it was hard to find the right balance. Some days DS would gladly pick up his books, others were a real struggle for him to get in the right frame of mind. We never did long sessions, perhaps 20-30 mins, but then we’d go through together to see how he’d done. I found he could often actually over-complicate & overthink questions.

It’s hard when they really want it, and you really want it for them, but at the same time you’re worried about pressuring or frightening them. I don’t think the children always grasp the reality of how many kids are trying for a place at Grammar School. I’m equally unsure as to whether that’s good or bad.

Every single one of you are doing the best you can to prepare your dc, the best way you know how. ‘Win, lose or draw’, I admire any child at the age of 10/11, that are prepared to even give it a shot. Regardless of eventual outcome, this will give them an experience early in life that will teach them many different lessons, all of which by character building in the long run.

Good luck to all of them, I’ll be following progress.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Macmum wrote:Last year I found it was hard to find the right balance. Some days DS would gladly pick up his books, others were a real struggle for him to get in the right frame of mind. We never did long sessions, perhaps 20-30 mins, but then we’d go through together to see how he’d done. I found he could often actually over-complicate & overthink questions.

It’s hard when they really want it, and you really want it for them, but at the same time you’re worried about pressuring or frightening them. I don’t think the children always grasp the reality of how many kids are trying for a place at Grammar School. I’m equally unsure as to whether that’s good or bad.

Every single one of you are doing the best you can to prepare your dc, the best way you know how. ‘Win, lose or draw’, I admire any child at the age of 10/11, that are prepared to even give it a shot. Regardless of eventual outcome, this will give them an experience early in life that will teach them many different lessons, all of which by character building in the long run.

Good luck to all of them, I’ll be following progress.
I second everything Macmum has said.

My ds went through it this time last year and his brother will be doing it this time next year.

All the best.
Raych

Post by Raych »

Do any of the parents that have previously been through this, ever think it was beyond reach ,, I’ve been really positive all along and seen progress dd has made now I’m having doubts I’m worrying about scores amount of exam sitters waiting for scores then results I’m having a melt down :roll: