September 2018 anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Raych

Re: September 2018 anyone?

Post by Raych »

Does anyone have any experience with Tudor House Tuition, considering this to polish a few areas
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Raych wrote:camp hill would be first choice with five ways second but not sure if that’s realistic, although I would be happy with any grammar
Depending where you are, you could also consider Stratford and Alcester. If you’re in the priority area, the scores are lower than both CH and FW (AGS the lower of the two)
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

nervousmom wrote:
Raych wrote:camp hill would be first choice with five ways second but not sure if that’s realistic, although I would be happy with any grammar
Depending where you are, you could also consider Stratford and Alcester. If you’re in the priority area, the scores are lower than both CH and FW (AGS the lower of the two)
Or you could consider Sutton Girls if you're near the cross city train line - or Handsworth Girls if you're near a green bus route. Both also have lower entry scores.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Raych wrote:Does anyone have any experience with Tudor House Tuition, considering this to polish a few areas
No experience,but what are you looking for help with?
Raych

Post by Raych »

I’m in kings norton, I’m less than half mile out of Stratford priority area but going to put on CAF , I’m really looking for help in vocabulary, her maths is very good and so is her SPAG , she’s just not a big reader and we do the antonym and synonym list but she’s just learning the words not the meaning,
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

She needs to read, read and then read some more.

She should have a notebook by her when she reads and make a note of any words she doesn't understand. Then when she's finished reading look up the words she has written down and then write sentences with that word/words in.

Recommended reading

Roald Dahl collection - Eg Matilda
Charlotte's Web
Wind in the willows
The borrowers
The secret garden
Tom's midnight garden
Harry Potter & the philosophers stone
The lion. The witch & the wardrobe
Holes
CharlotteandWilbur

Post by CharlotteandWilbur »

I brought my daughter a kindle tab and she would read books on there. They have a feature where you can look up words and it tells you the meaning.

I second reading, she would read anyways but I tried to encourage more classic books.

The first past the post vocabulary books are good, I found that the more tests she did she would pick up the words as they often cropped up time and time again
Raych

Post by Raych »

Started The Chronicles of Narnia tonight, and also a list of 11 plus works, do you think we can expand and increase vocabulary within next 3 months
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Raych wrote:Started The Chronicles of Narnia tonight, and also a list of 11 plus works, do you think we can expand and increase vocabulary within next 3 months
Definitely! We did all our work with ds between June and September. My husband read 'The Eagle of the Ninth' with him which was very challenging - but probably more of a 'boy' book!
Raych

Post by Raych »

Thanks crazycrofter
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now