Question about primary school.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
apillow

Re: Question about primary school.

Post by apillow »

Did you list Camp Hill or Sutton Coldfield first? I'm assuming the former, otherwise Sutton Coldfield would have been offered? Have you investigated the process for going back on the list for lower preference schools?

Unfortunately, on the subject of whether your younger DD has to take the 11+ this year (or not at all), the decision is not your OH's to make, it would seem :( .
We put all 4 grammar schools, but CHG was 1st and sutton was 4th option.
Oh, no I am not saying he is deciding. He is worried about her, if it is too much for her to take in 3 months time, if she has to sit this year. She wont get 3 years in KS2, before she moves to GS/secondary.
crazycrofter

Re: Question about primary school.

Post by crazycrofter »

apillow wrote:
Did you list Camp Hill or Sutton Coldfield first? I'm assuming the former, otherwise Sutton Coldfield would have been offered? Have you investigated the process for going back on the list for lower preference schools?

Unfortunately, on the subject of whether your younger DD has to take the 11+ this year (or not at all), the decision is not your OH's to make, it would seem :( .
We put all 4 grammar schools, but CHG was 1st and sutton was 4th option.
Oh, no I am not saying he is deciding. He is worried about her, if it is too much for her to take in 3 months time, if she has to sit this year. She wont get 3 years in KS2, before she moves to GS/secondary.
That's totally understandable. I'm pretty sure she would be fine missing a year of KS2 though, as long as she's covered all the Maths she needs. And the 11 plus doesn't have to be stressful if you just sell it to her as something worth having a go at but not the be all and end all. There are some good non-selective girls schools around and you have the benefit of being able to move into the right catchment area if need be.

I think you will be fine sticking with CHG for your older girl whatever happens. If your younger daughter got a 11 plus score in the region of say 215-225 (either this year or next), Sutton girls is easily accessible on the train from Kings Norton station, and lots of girls take that route, so you could move near the station. And Handsworth girls can be reached on the green bus from Kings Heath, so you could move there if she got into Handsworth. Your older daughter could get to CHG very easily from either location. Lots of people on this board have children at different grammar schools, or one at grammar, one at a comprehensive and it's fine!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now