11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: KE Aston or Bishop Vesey

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Hear! Hear! +1 Jane Eyre!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think quite a lot of grammar schools have these traditions without being "faith schools" - the local GS has a founders' day service in the parish church on a Saturday morning. Everyone has to be available to go - if they don't want to go to the service for religious reasons then they still have to to come to school in uniform and wait there until the others come back.
Fellowman

Post by Fellowman »

Thank you everyone for your kind words and invaluable advice!

You’ve provided me additional insight into both schools that I otherwise wouldn’t have known. I’ll discuss these points with DW and DS1 over this weekend, and hopefully come to a decision we all agree on.

I think the most common reply has been 'go with the easiest route'. For this reason, I'm slightly leaning more towards KE Aston at the moment as there is a green bus service that runs near to our home, which would make it easier for DS1 to commute (he still holds my hand now when I take him to school - bless him), whereas with Bishop Vesey a bit more manoeuvring is involved, and trains, plus normal buses may be more affected by delays.

This forum has been a great help to myself and family, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for making this daunting process much easier to understand and steer. Wishing you and your children the happiest and best of futures. I look forward to hopefully making some humble contributions in the near future.

Many thanks once again.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Congratulations to your son and good luck.

I like both schools and for us it would come down to transport if we couldn't decide, as this is far more important at secondary than we realised.

Let us know how you get on!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

transport is hugely important. I used to have to get 2 buses across town to school and hated the travel (particularly in the winter). When kids were going to senior school I bought a house so near I can see the schools out of the kitchen window - and there isn't even much of a catchment area :lol: :lol: (maybe a bit drastic but I really hated the travel)
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

um wrote:
Dadybear wrote: Ke Aston results are slightly better may i reiterate only by a small amount
Results are not everything, but this is not correct as of last year.

As a brief overview:

At GCSE:

KE Aston Progress 8 score was + 0.46 (above average)
BV Progress 8 score was + 0.56 (well above average)

KE Aston Attainment 8 score 71.6
BV Attainment 8 score 72.1

At A level:
KE Aston average A level points 35.72
BV Average A level points 40.92[/quote]

Leicester city won premier league once doesn't mean it going to happen every year
Katie custard

Post by Katie custard »

Fellowman wrote:Thank you everyone for your kind words and invaluable advice!

You’ve provided me additional insight into both schools that I otherwise wouldn’t have known. I’ll discuss these points with DW and DS1 over this weekend, and hopefully come to a decision we all agree on.

I think the most common reply has been 'go with the easiest route'. For this reason, I'm slightly leaning more towards KE Aston at the moment as there is a green bus service that runs near to our home, which would make it easier for DS1 to commute (he still holds my hand now when I take him to school - bless him), whereas with Bishop Vesey a bit more manoeuvring is involved, and trains, plus normal buses may be more affected by delays.

This forum has been a great help to myself and family, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for making this daunting process much easier to understand and steer. Wishing you and your children the happiest and best of futures. I look forward to hopefully making some humble contributions in the near future.

Many thanks once again.
Be great to have teh dilemma of 2 places!

Have you decided? Selfishly my son is number 2 on the BV waiting list so wondered if you had declined the space already.

Best of luck
Fellowman

Post by Fellowman »

Yes, we've declined the place at BV and will be sending the slip back tomorrow.

Best of luck to you also.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now