Great avert for the quality of Music at KEHS & Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Re: Great avert for the quality of Music at KEHS & Birmingha

Post by stroudydad »

So basically it's a self fulfilling prophecy..
As you said lots of already amazing musicians choose it...
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

stroudydad wrote:So basically it's a self fulfilling prophecy..
As you said lots of already amazing musicians choose it...
Yes, but unlike your kids they have a great experience whilst there - how can that be bad?

They also really encourage novices like my daughter - also not a bad thing!

I’m not really sure what the debate is about. KEHS is pretty good for music - that’s all I’m saying really! :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So are MANY other schools - KEHS is absolutely no different to hundreds of other schools I could name.

If she had started her paino lessons there and was taught music there it might be a different story.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Guest55 wrote:So are MANY other schools - KEHS is absolutely no different to hundreds of other schools I could name.

If she had started her paino lessons there and was taught music there it might be a different story.
You’re welcome to name them here (as long as they’re in Birmingham/Walsall!) - lots of people are interested to find out which schools have good music departments and support talented musicians. This board isn’t supposed to be competitive but informative for parents.

Whilst I’m here I might as well say that I’ve been pleased with the music at HGS so far too :)
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Reading the article and having no knowledge of KEHS, I would have to say that it doesn’t promote music at the school at all. It merely says that she is there and currently doing her GCSE’s. If it promotes anything, it would be the Conservatoire.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Our own daughter did most of her music outside school so I have a fairly open mind and have sampled pretty much everything the school and the city music service have to offer from an audience and parent perspective.

Music education at KEHS is good, breadth and depth of opportunities is very good. So is provision by the city music service. KES/KEHS have some breathtakingly talented individuals of whom Lauren is "just" one of the most outstanding (shame on you for your very mean spirited response, G55). The schools provide an encouraging, supportive environment and lots of opportunity to such individuals but I doubt they contribute very much to their musical education otherwise.

May I wish Lauren congratulations for her achievement and wish her the very best for her GCSEs - in which context may I also point out that she has (as usual) once again won against competitors several years her senior.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mike1880 - I congratulated the student but no praise is needed for her school! Many musicians [and I know a lot] fundamentally disagree with such competitions as music should aim to be inclusive.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

At risk of derailing the discussion, that's an entirely different discussion. Inclusiveness is not invariably laudable; in some contexts competence is helpful and sometimes even excellence is desirable. And while there are occupations in which excellence should probably be discouraged, imo music doesn't need to be included amongst them.
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

Mike1880 and crazycrofter - To be fair to Guest55, I don't think his 'mean spirited' post was aimed at the student.

I suspect it was a dig at KEHS, an independent school. Guest55 sees no positives in independent schools hence takes every single opportunity to make this point.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

i didn't even know it was a Private school nor do I care - no school could take the credit for this - she didn't start learning the piano at the school nor does she take lessons there. The school is irrelevant.