SATs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Caveman47

SATs

Post by Caveman47 »

A quick question:

Does the SATs have any bearing on what groups at Grammar school?
ToadMum

Re: SATs

Post by ToadMum »

Caveman47 wrote:A quick question:

Unless there is a blanket policy for all the KE schools, you would probably be best asking the individual school. The results do have some bearing on statistics for the end of KS4, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Hi Caveman, at HGS they have all their lessons in form groups for year 7 except DT and literacy (one lesson, set from Nov.)

They do lots of baseline tests when they join which i think they use for target setting (ie GCSE targets) and i guess SATs are used here too.

My son didn't do SATs as he was home educated and it hasn't mattered. So probably nothing to worry about if SATs don't go to plan!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

FW don't set either, all subjects are taught in forms.

Two years ago, when my son went into year 10 (I think) they were placed in sets for maths.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Thank you :)

Nice to know. My DS is very chilled about his SATs. For some reason he looks forward to actually doing them. Hmmm is he actually my son. lol
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

crazycrofter wrote:

Hi Caveman, at HGS they have all their lessons in form groups for year 7 except DT and literacy (one lesson, set from Nov.)

They do lots of baseline tests when they join which i think they use for target setting (ie GCSE targets) and i guess SATs are used here too.

My son didn't do SATs as he was home educated and it hasn't mattered. So probably nothing to worry about if SATs don't go to plan!
Two years ago they sat CATs in the first couple of weeks at HGS. As CC says, these were used for Literacy sets, but just for 1 lesson a week. The other English lessons were in their form groups.

They have exams at the end of Y7 for Maths sets in Y8, and exams at the end of Y8 for Maths and Science sets in Y9. There are mid-term exams in Y8 in Maths which determine if they move groups. Other mid-term exams in other subjects are just to see how they are progressing.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

So glad your son is laid back about them! Ou4vyear 6 are all taking it in their stride.
The fantastic year 6 teacher has made revision fun and they are not made to feel under pressure.

If only the experience could be like that for all children.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

helen0209 wrote:
crazycrofter wrote:

Two years ago they sat CATs in the first couple of weeks at HGS. As CC says, these were used for Literacy sets, but just for 1 lesson a week. The other English lessons were in their form groups.

They have exams at the end of Y7 for Maths sets in Y8, and exams at the end of Y8 for Maths and Science sets in Y9. There are mid-term exams in Y8 in Maths which determine if they move groups. Other mid-term exams in other subjects are just to see how they are progressing.
I like the sound of that. Thank you very much. :D
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

yoyo123 wrote:So glad your son is laid back about them! Ou4vyear 6 are all taking it in their stride.
The fantastic year 6 teacher has made revision fun and they are not made to feel under pressure.

If only the experience could be like that for all children.
Yeah that would be amazing. Sadly...the pressure is on for many teachers to produce results. To get blood out stone. Education should be a fun experience especially at Primary school level.

Pressure is on for us too, just not passed on to the children. Education should be fun, absolutely. I abandoned my lesson plan today, the children were so amazed looking at plants under a microscope that we just went with it, not all learning is paper based.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now