Induction Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
beepdad

Re: Induction Day

Post by beepdad »

QMGS only have an hour and a bit as an induction (start at 2pm 4th July) :(

I think it's a bit of a shame especially as my son won't know anybody at all at the school.

Local comps have two whole days, and children going there will already know lots of people. Not sure what my son will be doing at his primary school for 2 days when the rest of his school are at their transition days.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

beepdad wrote:QMGS only have an hour and a bit as an induction (start at 2pm 4th July) :(

I think it's a bit of a shame especially as my son won't know anybody at all at the school.

Local comps have two whole days, and children going there will already know lots of people. Not sure what my son will be doing at his primary school for 2 days when the rest of his school are at their transition days.
Last year QM did two events - one for children and one with both children and parents. Is that not the case this year?

I wouldn't worry too much. My son did not have an induction at HGS as he started late. His comp induction was OK, but not essential.

Many gs children start without knowing anybody, so don't worry. Hopefully your son will gel with others in his form. This has been the case for us.

Each year primaries will.have a few children who aren't going to the main induction days in their LA so will be used to this.
beepdad

Post by beepdad »

Same this year but the one with parents was an hour talk from the headmaster/head of year (which seemed mainly aimed at parents) and then a tour of school with a 6th former. No real chance for the kids to mix.

My lad will be ok. He's not shy and will make friends I am sure. Just think it's a bit of a shame not to have more of an orientation and meet before starting in September.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

beepdad wrote:Same this year but the one with parents was an hour talk from the headmaster/head of year (which seemed mainly aimed at parents) and then a tour of school with a 6th former. No real chance for the kids to mix.

My lad will be ok. He's not shy and will make friends I am sure. Just think it's a bit of a shame not to have more of an orientation and meet before starting in September.
Beepdad, just a thought. After last year's induction at QMGS we were given details of various sporting summer get togethers/courses the school was running - i.e. a cricket event at the school.bor boys.

This might be an opportunity for your son. If you have any questions about starting the school feel free to message me.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

beepdad wrote:QMGS only have an hour and a bit as an induction (start at 2pm 4th July) :(

That's really unusual.

Induction days are one of my favourite days at school. Why do they start at 2pm?

Secondly, I thought Transition days were just one day I do know of schools that will have children out for two days that's because of the different authories having their transition day on different dates.

The school your son is at will definitely do something with him. This is a day were all year groups at Primary move up to see their new teachers...I believe. This is my own experience of course.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Yes very disappointed in the transition day for QM. So it will be meeting the staff, new classmates and then another tour around school. :roll: All between the times of 2 and 3.50.
Whereas his friends who are going to Bishop Vesey will have a full day including a free lunch.
Play games and do quizzes.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Not only that, what are they supposed to do until 2pm? Surely they won’t be able to go to their primary school as it will be full of children transitioning up a year?

A couple of the schools in Rugby did 2 day inductions last year too, not the grammars though.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Rugbymumto2 wrote:Not only that, what are they supposed to do until 2pm? Surely they won’t be able to go to their primary school as it will be full of children transitioning up a year?

A couple of the schools in Rugby did 2 day inductions last year too, not the grammars though.
Rugbymumto2 some of the kids at school have different transition days so I think provisions are in place at his school for those who don't have transition day but I'll be keeping him at home for the morning.
Just seems a shame that they don't get to spend a whole day there to get a feel of a real school day.
Hope this wasn't QM trying to get out if providing a lunch for the new Y7's :lol:
beepdad

Post by beepdad »

Yes local comps have 2 full days. My son has 2 days of helping out year 5 kids who are transitioning to his year instead..

There are no other days at QM where he can meet his class or teacher, (who was not in for today's "transition hour"...)
There is a summer BBQ but we are on hols when this happens.

He will be fine but I do think it's disappointing they are putting so little effort with the new cohort compared to every other school I know of. I wonder if QM struggling to cope with their expansion. Hope not and hope they don't go through with the plans to expand even more!
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

beepdad wrote:Yes local comps have 2 full days. My son has 2 days of helping out year 5 kids who are transitioning to his year instead..

There are no other days at QM where he can meet his class or teacher, (who was not in for today's "transition hour"...)
There is a summer BBQ but we are on hols when this happens.

He will be fine but I do think it's disappointing they are putting so little effort with the new cohort compared to every other school I know of. I wonder if QM struggling to cope with their expansion. Hope not and hope they don't go through with the plans to expand even more!
beepdad my son asked the head of year 7 why they didn't get to attend a full day and her reply was she didn't know.
Seemed such a waste of time just attending 2 hrs today.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now