Alternatives to KES

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Brumy

Alternatives to KES

Post by Brumy »

Hi,
Our son is currently preparing for 11 plus and KES entrance exams.
Our preference is KES indepedent ( we were very impressed and our son fell in love with the school on the open day!).
However, his comprehension and creative writing is weak. He is very strong in Maths/ NVR.
We are based in Edgbaston.
We are looking for advice as to what alternative independent options we should consider please (if he fails to pass KES etrance exam)?
Priory and St Georges are both close by. I havent heard many good things about Priory (possibly just hearsay), any feedback on Priory would be appreciated, is St Georges better?
Solihull is another option,, however, I have looked at travelling and the bus leaves edgbaston at 730am am and returns after 5, I really feel for 7 years that is a lot of travelling time on a daily basis. Again any thoughts from parents whose children might be doing would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
crazycrofter

Re: Alternatives to KES

Post by crazycrofter »

Brumy wrote:Hi,
Our son is currently preparing for 11 plus and KES entrance exams.
Our preference is KES indepedent ( we were very impressed and our son fell in love with the school on the open day!).
However, his comprehension and creative writing is weak. He is very strong in Maths/ NVR.
We are based in Edgbaston.
We are looking for advice as to what alternative independent options we should consider please (if he fails to pass KES etrance exam)?
Priory and St Georges are both close by. I havent heard many good things about Priory (possibly just hearsay), any feedback on Priory would be appreciated, is St Georges better?
Solihull is another option,, however, I have looked at travelling and the bus leaves edgbaston at 730am am and returns after 5, I really feel for 7 years that is a lot of travelling time on a daily basis. Again any thoughts from parents whose children might be doing would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
Hi Brumy

I don't have any advice to give regarding schools, but I wanted to say that the travel time to Solihull doesn't sound too bad. There's lots of children travelling across the Midlands and many doing longer journeys than that. Obviously, it's not ideal and KES would be perfect for you, but if you think Solihull would be a good fit, the journey would be worth it.

My ds has been leaving the house at 7 and getting in around 5 for the last year (year 7). The school wasn't our first choice as it was further away, but overall we think we made the right choice. He's coped with the travelling. I tend to drive him in on a Monday morning just to ease him into the week!

Is he taking the grammar school exams too? Have you had a look round them? In Edgbaston you have green bus access to pretty much all the grammar schools except the ones in Sutton Coldfield, so you have a good choice.
mike1880

Re: Alternatives to KES

Post by mike1880 »

I only know of one person who went to St Georges, parents were deeply unimpressed. Train may be better option for Solihull if you're near the Cross City line or near one of the major bus routes into Birmingham?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now