KES Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
babyshark

KES Birmingham

Post by babyshark »

We are preparing for the entrance exam for KES. Some posts suggest that the creative writing is important. I have seen the sample question on school's website. I was wondering if anyone whose DS have sit the exam could remember other past creative writing topic, or any advice on preparation for creative writing?

Thank you all!
halsea

Re: KES Birmingham

Post by halsea »

My daughter is also sitting the KES at Edgbaston exam.
The open day on the 22nd will give you exam pointers but sadly we can't make that day. I have been told briefly that the key points are to make sure your child is reading a broad range of materials, that your child shows their working out, because they will give partial marks for working out, even if they make a daft mistake with the answer. They try to make the day as fun as possible and spread the 3 papers out throughout the day. There is definitely spare paper either in the booklet or given, which my child found it hard there was none in the grammar test. There is no non verbal. They are looking for brilliant creative writing and understand spelling might not be perfect, but its the content and ideas they are looking at.
babyshark

Post by babyshark »

halsea wrote:My daughter is also sitting the KES at Edgbaston exam.
The open day on the 22nd will give you exam pointers but sadly we can't make that day. I have been told briefly that the key points are to make sure your child is reading a broad range of materials, that your child shows their working out, because they will give partial marks for working out, even if they make a daft mistake with the answer. They try to make the day as fun as possible and spread the 3 papers out throughout the day. There is definitely spare paper either in the booklet or given, which my child found it hard there was none in the grammar test. There is no non verbal. They are looking for brilliant creative writing and understand spelling might not be perfect, but its the content and ideas they are looking at.
Thanks, halsea.
my son is okay with the maths, but the creative writing is surely a problem. We want to help him improve, but not sure what is the best way.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Babyshark, has your son read alternatives like poetry or audio books? I think some children censor themselves and think I must not write about X as its too silly, whereas I encourage mine just to let her imagination run wild. What does he like to read and maybe give him some ideas of the start of a story verbally and ask him how he would finish it? Take the pressure of writing, whilst he builds his 'ideas' confidence. These are my thoughts, whether its the 'right; approach I don't know but it works for my child.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I think creative writing is fairly key in both the boys' and girls' schools exams. I'm not sure whether it can be taught though. Ideally it just comes naturally.

Our daughter always loved writing and reading, we did no preparation whatsoever for the exam and she got an assisted place. She really enjoyed the writing section of the exam.

With our son, we knew his writing was a weakness and we spent the month before doing extensive practice (he was home educated so we could do this within the normal school day) using a book called 'Descriptosaurus'. It's a very helpful book, giving lots of vocab and tools for good creative writing. However, on the day, based on what he told us, he just reverted to type and forgot everything we'd done with him! He didn't get a place..

That's probably not a very hopeful tale, sorry. My view was that KES wasn't the right school for him if they didn't offer him a place and he's happily settled at HGS now.