KES Exam 2019 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Skylark

Re: KES Exam 2019 Entry

Post by Skylark »

crazycrofter wrote:Don’t feel regretful - I’m not sure how much you can prepare really. They seem to know what they’re looking for and I suspect they value creative writing and individuality but who knows?

We did nothing at all with dd (and very little for the 11 plus which was five months earlier then) and she got an assisted place. We did a month’s solid prep for ds as he was home educated at that point and he didn’t get an AP! The big difference between them was their creative writing.
Thank you for taking the time out to write about your experiences. Had we done a solid month of prep, I think it would of made a difference. After the 11plus, my son did not want to do any further prep. Not long to go until results day.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

We did a month of prep on creative writing and in the exam ds just ignored everything we’d done and resorted to his usual go-to topic! :) I think he couldn’t be bothered - the run up to the 11 plus was exhausting and it just seemed like one exam too many. I guess they moved it to Oct partly for that reason - to reduce the amount of specific prep and also, to get the kids who really wanted it!

Anyway, you may still get good news! And you’ve got great grammar options so you’re in a good position. All the best!
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

crazycrofter wrote:We did a month of prep on creative writing and in the exam ds just ignored everything we’d done and resorted to his usual go-to topic! :) I think he couldn’t be bothered - the run up to the 11 plus was exhausting and it just seemed like one exam too many. I guess they moved it to Oct partly for that reason - to reduce the amount of specific prep and also, to get the kids who really wanted it!

Anyway, you may still get good news! And you’ve got great grammar options so you’re in a good position. All the best!

Thank you ones again Crazycofter, I really wish they had kept it for January. Has it happened before that an ap place was offered without an interview?
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I’m really not sure for KES but are you sure interviews are over?

KEHS have always offered APs without interview. You never know, KES may change the way they do things to be in line with the girls school. Just because they haven’t before (if that’s the case), it doesn’t mean they won’t this year.

But if you don’t get an AP at least you won’t have to make a difficult choice! :)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

crazycrofter wrote:You never know, KES may change the way they do things to be in line with the girls school.
My impression is that both schools go out of their way to make sure they don't do things the same way. However, while KES has always aspired to interview all AP candidates I'm not convinced they've ever actually achieved that???
lakings1900

Post by lakings1900 »

crazycrofter wrote:I’m really not sure for KES but are you sure interviews are over?

KEHS have always offered APs without interview. You never know, KES may change the way they do things to be in line with the girls school. Just because they haven’t before (if that’s the case), it doesn’t mean they won’t this year.

But if you don’t get an AP at least you won’t have to make a difficult choice! :)

I know one lad who is interviewing today. I know of three others who have not had an interview offer who would also be FP. One is a very strong candidate and two others who would be borderline.
2handsomeboys

Post by 2handsomeboys »

'I know one lad who is interviewing today. I know of three others who have not had an interview offer who would also be FP. One is a very strong candidate and two others who would be borderline'

Following on what you said above: just wondering, how do you know, whether someone would be borderline, a strong candidate etc.? (No letters have gone out yet, so I thought nobody knows who will get a place? Still waiting somewhat nervously for results..)
lakings1900

Post by lakings1900 »

2handsomeboys wrote:'I know one lad who is interviewing today. I know of three others who have not had an interview offer who would also be FP. One is a very strong candidate and two others who would be borderline'

Following on what you said above: just wondering, how do you know, whether someone would be borderline, a strong candidate etc.? (No letters have gone out yet, so I thought nobody knows who will get a place? Still waiting somewhat nervously for results..)
I know the boys well and also know what their GS scores are. I don't have an inside track on KES decisions just an informed opinion. The point I was making was you can't read anything into the interviews and offers.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Just received a letter that they are unable to offer my DS an assisted place. Off to grammar school for my boy in September then :D

Good luck everyone else.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Sorry to hear that Rooroo.

I have stayed off posting on the forum as it is obviously 'public' and I have heard in the past that KES do look at it. I was worried that it may influence their decisions. Also as some parents ticked the 'share' box I was concerned that they may look to see if you're on a safe grammar score and not offer you an AP and instead give an equally smart and able child who did well in this exam, an opportunity.

I know of a few other children who have had borderline grammar scores but been offered AP's at KES. I recall someone posted their daughter had missed the grammar scores but were offered an AP at KEHS.

My DS does not qualify for the AP and so we were waiting for the letter today. He received the 'big' envelope which was a give away - so I am delighted to say he has been offered a fee paying place.

We need to return the forms by Friday 15th March at the latest along with a deposit.

It will all depend on whether he is has done enough to get in KEFW.