Wolverhampton/Walsall sitting exams 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
quasimodo

Re: Wolverhampton/Walsall sitting exams 2019

Post by quasimodo »

Poker Face wrote:You are able to email the University of Durham who set the CEM exam. On their website they explain what you have to do to obtain students results ( for any of their exams not just the 11+). There is a £10 admin fee. Which is worth the money if you are desperate to know the score. The score is then emailed to you, they state 28 days ( i think) but depending on volume of requests they normally reply much sooner than this.

I feel it's better to sit the test at the school that you are most interested in, especially if your son has been to have a look there, or you're local as the surroundings will be familiar; also they may be with school friends who are also sitting the test ( good for calming nerves on the day when you're queuing at the gate to go into school for the test!)

This is a thread from last year outlining how to apply for the score and also some experiences and views.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ms+grammar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Pkaur

Post by Pkaur »

Thankyou again for this invaluable advice. I felt I had no one to ask until I found this forum. Thank god i did!

Anyone have any advise on the usual timetable for the day of the exam? specifically how early you should arrive? as I have heard the queues are very long.
Do parents have to leave their sons at the gate entrance?
Does the school provide a break between the 2 tests for kids to have a refreshment break?
Do the schools provide stationary necessary to complete the exam

Apologies for these questions in advance if they seem silly, I just want to get as much information on logistics as possible.

Thanks in advance guys
MSD

Post by MSD »

quasimodo wrote: This is a thread from last year outlining how to apply for the score and also some experiences and views.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ms+grammar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A while back I also created a post with the intention of helping 11+ parents. You may find it useful.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =embarking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
savwalker

Post by savwalker »

Pkaur wrote: Anyone have any advise on the usual timetable for the day of the exam? specifically how early you should arrive? as I have heard the queues are very long.
Do parents have to leave their sons at the gate entrance?
Does the school provide a break between the 2 tests for kids to have a refreshment break?
Do the schools provide stationary necessary to complete the exam
DS took the test this year at QMGS. There were 2 sittings, one in the morning and one in the afternoon; he was in the afternoon sitting. The school sent out a letter prior to the exam giving detailed instructions on what to expect on the day, including where to park and what time to arrive. They gave a time range when to arrive. Possibly a 30-45 minute window from memory. We arrived approximately halfway through that window and there was a long queue outside, nobody was allowed in until the gates opened. You left your son at the gates and staff and 6th form students took them in and helped them find their classroom. There isn't any point in arriving early and standing near the front of the queue for ages. There were parents arriving well before the earliest advised time (I saw them when I was driving past) and they just had to stand on a pavement for over an hour.

Yes, there was a refreshment break halfway through. No stationery is required. The school provides everything needed.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Pkaur at this stage focus on your DC.

All of these queries you have will be answered prior to the exam. Savwalker has explained what happened this year to give you an idea as what to expect.

The letter you receive closer to the exam (a few weeks before) will explain everything fully as to what will happen next year. Don't worry, they will clearly detail all arrangements at that point.
Pkaur

Post by Pkaur »

Thanks Savwalker and bluejay, I know I sound pretty crazy...lol I am going to concentrate on my son and just stop stressing over this stuff.
It helps me though to know whats ahead.
Thank you all for taking the time to advise, its really well received.
Pkaur

Post by Pkaur »

Hi Guys I have just noticed this on the Adams Grammer website, under FAQ, I cut and pasted it:

""What information do you supply about the entrance test result?
For many years we have been of the opinion that we do not want to divulge the specific scores to our young people, as those that perhaps get scores they would not have hoped for can sometimes be the victims of unkind or unfair comments, or even bullying. Equally, it puts a huge pressure on those pupils who do get in, perhaps with extremely good scores, as the weight of expectation is sometimes overpowering.

The 2018 GDPR regulations mean parents are now legally able to request all the data we hold on their children (i.e. the test score details). With this in mind we have therefore decided that the letters we send out will contain one figure giving the overall score. We only hold that information, not the results of the constituent parts of the test, so that will be all we include in the letter.""

So.....Do I read this as we will get a actual score.....and use this to determine if we meet the cut offs from previous years?

welcome your thoughts
Tonysingh123

Post by Tonysingh123 »

So happy, DS2 scored 247.

My DS1 last year scored 225 torn what to do now. DS1 gone to HGS and loves it. Totally confused.

Good luck to everyone.
Nard

Post by Nard »

Tonysingh123 wrote:So happy, DS2 scored 247.

My DS1 last year scored 225 torn what to do now. DS1 gone to HGS and loves it. Totally confused.

Good luck to everyone.
My ds1 is also at HGS year 10. Two years ago DS2 scored 243 and we decided to send him to HGS he is in year 8.

We have no regrets they are both thriving. Best of luck with your decision.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Tonysingh123 wrote:So happy, DS2 scored 247.

Good luck to everyone.
I don't know your other options or where you live ? Easiest thing is go on the open days for all
the options or ask to visit with him before the end of the month and let your son decide where he would like to go.Clearly HGS should be the favourite since you know the school and have one happy son there.The differences in the results between each of the schools are in my view to a large extent determined by the ability range of the cohorts they select.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now