Birmingham Consortium Results - 2019 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PoppyPup

Re: Birmingham Consortium Results - 2019 Entry

Post by PoppyPup »

Thank you MSD, Now fingers crossed for CHG.

MSD wrote:
PoppyPup wrote:Dd scored 232.

We’re really proud and happy, some of you have supported me over the last few months as I was worried about how my DD would do.

Thank you to everyone who commented on my posts and offered support and advice.

Well done to all the children for embarking on this journey and giving it their best.
Congratulation PoppyPup! Great score
Tonythetiger

Post by Tonythetiger »

smarties3 wrote:Hi, first time posting here (long time lurker!) looking for some advice...
Our DD got 230 which is brilliant, we are really pleased.
We are guessing this will be short of the mark for KEFW, her first choice, and had thought we'd send her to SCGS. We are near Selly Oak station so this would fit. However, we have overlooked Handsworth girls due to the journey and wondered whether anyone has advice re distance? Looks like she'd catch 2 public buses or rather a long convoluted green bus journey.
Any pointers much appreciated
The Green Bus from Selly Oak is very convoluted! However it's a great way of meeting others and making friends and my daughter loved it despite the length of the journey (we're in Bournville) and used the Green Bus in years 7 and 8. Public transport wise, as you're close to Selly Oak station, she can get the train to New Street and then the 16 bus from just outside the Station Street exit. Loads of other girls get the 16, my daughter says it's almost like a school bus in the mornings. Public transport is a bit quicker and a lot cheaper! It's definitely worth considering.

All that considered, 230 means your daughter has a great chance of getting Five Ways off the waiting list so make sure you put Five Ways down first on your list!

Good luck with the decision making!
smarties3

Post by smarties3 »

Tonythetiger wrote:
smarties3 wrote:Hi, first time posting here (long time lurker!) looking for some advice...
We are guessing this will be short of the mark for KEFW, her first choice, and had thought we'd send her to SCGS. We are near Selly Oak station so this would fit. However, we have overlooked Handsworth girls due to the journey and wondered whether anyone has advice re distance? Looks like she'd catch 2 public buses or rather a long convoluted green bus journey.
The Green Bus from Selly Oak is very convoluted! However it's a great way of meeting others and making friends and my daughter loved it despite the length of the journey (we're in Bournville) and used the Green Bus in years 7 and 8. Public transport wise, as you're close to Selly Oak station, she can get the train to New Street and then the 16 bus from just outside the Station Street exit. Loads of other girls get the 16, my daughter says it's almost like a school bus in the mornings. Public transport is a bit quicker and a lot cheaper! It's definitely worth considering.

All that considered, 230 means your daughter has a great chance of getting Five Ways off the waiting list so make sure you put Five Ways down first on your list!

Thank you so much for that! We will make the trip to Handsworth and have a proper look - have heard really good things. Our DD very privileged to have choice.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

smarties3 wrote:
Tonythetiger wrote:

Thank you so much for that! We will make the trip to Handsworth and have a proper look - have heard really good things. Our DD very privileged to have choice.
You’ve got a great choice - go with whichever school you all prefer! Train into New St and then bus or tram is a good option for Handsworth. Sutton is also very easy on the train. And she’s probably going to get a waiting lists offer for FW, so you might have another decision to make in the summer! From Selly Oak how convenient is FW? I guess there’s a green bus?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Wildfuture wrote:
helen0209 wrote:
Guest2014 wrote:Child of a friend scored 212, on her results letter all GS have scores listed beside them, except SCGSG which has N/A next to it. What is the meaning of this ?
I would assume it refers to PP as SCGSG do not have a PP policy in the same way other schools do.
Qualifying score. SG don't have one, I asked the same thing earlier today.
It seems a little odd that this isn't actually explained on the results letter / email? The impression given here is that it's just a seemingly random number listed against the schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
smarties3

Post by smarties3 »

Good luck with the decision making![/quote]

Thank you so much for that! We will make the trip to Handsworth and have a proper look - have heard really good things. Our DD very privileged to have choice.[/quote]

You’ve got a great choice - go with whichever school you all prefer! Train into New St and then bus or tram is a good option for Handsworth. Sutton is also very easy on the train. And she’s probably going to get a waiting lists offer for FW, so you might have another decision to make in the summer! From Selly Oak how convenient is FW? I guess there’s a green bus?[/quote]

Yes for FW there is a green bus or we are not far from where the public bus (22) stops. Scores are so variable - would be nice to think she might get a place on late offer but let's see. Going to think carefully about Handsworth and Sutton as both are good schools and we are grateful to be in this position!
KH1970

Post by KH1970 »

Tonythetiger wrote:
KH1970 wrote:As previously said, my DD scored 224. I am so proud of her but when she got home and told her the score, she was devastated. She really wanted Five Ways, which is obviously out of the question.

We hadn’t considered Handsworth or Sutton Girls because of the distance and assumed she’d go to the good local comp. However, because of her reaction, and we’ve told her she has got a score for a grammar school place, we asked her if she wants to consider these. Sutton Girls is doable because we could drop her at Bournville station. I’ve looked at the green bus, as someone had suggested, but it looks like it leaves KH at 7am, getting to Handsworth at 8am for a 9am start! That makes it a really long day. Does anyone know why they get there so early?! Does anyone know a child who does that journey and do they use the green bus?

I’d appreciate any advice. I’ve had such a sleepless night worrying about DD, she woke up crying in the night, I really feel for her. I’m sure there are many more parents in this situation regardless of scores. She’s worried about crying at school, bless. I’m hoping school today isn’t as bad as she thinks!
Wow, it’s been a while since I posted on here, have been following lots of your stories but this is definitely one I can respond to from personal experience.

My daughter is at Handsworth and absolutely loves it. Like you we are much closer to Five Ways and the transport thing was something we had to consider carefully (we’re in Bournville). We ultimately plumped for the Green Bus which was fantastic. The bus journey was one of her favourite parts of the day, she made so many friends there! The school day actually starts at 8.35 and lots of girls get there by 8, they all enjoy meeting their friends before school starts and chatting! Some music ensembles also run in the mornings and start at 8.30.

The travelling is something they get used to very quickly.

My advice would be go and have a look and see what you think. We have a very good comp near us but despite the distance still felt Handsworth would be a better school for our daughter after considering everything.

We didn’t consider Sutton because of the distance and that the only reasonable travel option was the train. Handsworth is only just the other side of the city centre and now she travels by public transport (which also has its perks - the occasional Starbucks!!) there are lots of options including bus, train and tram. However that was personal for us and Sutton is also a great school.

There are no right or wrong answers here, but definitely have another look at all the schools before making your final decision. Good luck whatever you decide and feel free to ask me any questions!

Congratulations to all who took the exam and all the very best to you all!
Thank you for your reply. We are going to look at Sutton on Thursday. My DD wants to look at Handsworth too so I need to contact them as assume they are also putting on extra tours, so to speak, for those who missed the open evening. However DD does admit she really does not want to get on a bus at 7am! Interesting you thought that Handsworth is an easier travel option. I like the idea of the green bus rather than public transport, so to speak, for at least the first year, it’s just the timing. And thanks, I’d misread when school actually starts.

DD also seems to have mostly got over the fact she didn’t score enough for Five Ways and is now starting to feel proud of her score. She’s now realised how many of the other children at her primary school, who she knows are smart, didn’t get the scores they needed. Such a tough life lesson for 10 year olds!!

Thanks for your advice.
Outnumbered3

Post by Outnumbered3 »

Also live Selly Park side and amazed that daughter has Handsworth score. The school bus which goes from Pershore Road near cricket ground might be better option? Leaves from there at 7:30 and hone by 4:30 x
Khk

Post by Khk »

Hi Tonythetiger
How did you find Sutton yesterday.
Please give details about the school,activities ,transport
As we have missed the open days unfortunately.
Thanks
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Khk wrote:Hi Tonythetiger
How did you find Sutton yesterday.
Please give details about the school,activities ,transport
As we have missed the open days unfortunately.
Thanks
Khk is your daughter taking the test next Sept or has she already taken it?

If she’s taken it and she’s offered Sutton in March, you’ll probably have a chance to look round then.

If she’s not even taken the 11 plus yet, there will be an open day in the summer.