Last scores and waiting list movement for the 2018 cohort

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

crazycrofter

Re: Last scores and waiting list movement for the 2018 cohor

Post by crazycrofter »

SVK wrote:Hi, first time going through eleven plus journey with my dd.
I have a question about the waiting list movement. I assume some student will give up their place because they are offered their higher choice after offer day.
Also some will take up places at independent school like kehs and kes. Is there any other reason for a child to give up their grammar school place beside these two reasons?
They might move out of the area. They might have home educated for primary and considered grammar for secondary but ultimately decide to continue with home ed.

Also, I know people from the Bromsgrove area who take the test but they have three tier schools there - so they retain their middle school (years 5-8) place whilst also being offered a grammar place. Some,especially if they got a grammar other than Five Ways, decide it’s too far to travel and turn down the grammar. They can do so because they have another place in hand - and Bromsgrove middle schools are good.
stse88

Post by stse88 »

Skylark wrote:
Stse88, well done to your son. That's an excellent score. I had some worries too and contacted the FO and they confirmed three offers were made from the waiting list and the last boy to be offered a place scored 241. This offer was made in June 2018. This looks promising and I hope it all goes well for 1st of March.
Thanks for the info Skylark, i will just have to keep my fingers and toes crossed for my son :)

So that i'm fully prepared, do you know how we apply to go on the waiting list? Do we just call up the school and ask to be put on the waiting list if my son doesn't get an offer for CHB on the day of the offer letter?
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

stse88 wrote:
Skylark wrote:
Stse88, well done to your son. That's an excellent score. I had some worries too and contacted the FO and they confirmed three offers were made from the waiting list and the last boy to be offered a place scored 241. This offer was made in June 2018. This looks promising and I hope it all goes well for 1st of March.
Thanks for the info Skylark, i will just have to keep my fingers and toes crossed for my son :)

So that i'm fully prepared, do you know how we apply to go on the waiting list? Do we just call up the school and ask to be put on the waiting list if my son doesn't get an offer for CHB on the day of the offer letter?
You are automatically on the W/L for any school ranked higher than the one you are allocated. You remain on these lists until the end of December - in your case this would be 2019. Following this, if you still want to be on the W/L you need to contact the school.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

helen0209 wrote:
stse88 wrote:
Skylark wrote:

You are automatically on the W/L for any school ranked higher than the one you are allocated. You remain on these lists until the end of December - in your case this would be 2019. Following this, if you still want to be on the W/L you need to contact the school.
Helen0209, thank you for answering. This process would of been very confusing, without this forum and helpful posters.
SVK

Post by SVK »

crazycrofter wrote:
I have a question about the waiting list movement. I assume some student will give up their place because they are offered their higher choice after offer day.
Also some will take up places at independent school like kehs and kes. Is there any other reason for a child to give up their grammar school place beside these two reasons?
They might move out of the area. They might have home educated for primary and considered grammar for secondary but ultimately decide to continue with home ed.

Also, I know people from the Bromsgrove area who take the test but they have three tier schools there - so they retain their middle school (years 5-8) place whilst also being offered a grammar place. Some,especially if they got a grammar other than Five Ways, decide it’s too far to travel and turn down the grammar. They can do so because they have another place in hand - and Bromsgrove middle schools are good.
Thanks crazycrofter. Interesting info.

I am still trying to get a better understanding of the waiting list movement. Earlier in this thread there was a mention of last offer at FW was 65th on waiting list on 1st March offer day. That sounds like a huge number of movement. Does anyone know if this is normal and does it happened every year? And why is there very little movement at CHB compared to FW? Does that mean those that got into CHB on offer day is unlikely to take up offer from KES or anywhere else?
Sfaisal

Post by Sfaisal »

Received a reply from the FO today that Handsworth girls has offered places to the candidates that scored 219 from the waiting list this year.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

SVK wrote:
crazycrofter wrote:

Thanks crazycrofter. Interesting info.

I am still trying to get a better understanding of the waiting list movement. Earlier in this thread there was a mention of last offer at FW was 65th on waiting list on 1st March offer day. That sounds like a huge number of movement. Does anyone know if this is normal and does it happened every year? And why is there very little movement at CHB compared to FW? Does that mean those that got into CHB on offer day is unlikely to take up offer from KES or anywhere else?
Yes, that is correct.

FW offered 65 places off the waiting list this year.
2017 - approx 70 offered from waiting list
2016 - approx 58 offered from waiting list

CHB is top of the chain, so to speak.

A number of students hold places at GS but turn them down for the private schools.

We will leave FW out of the equation for now.

Boys CAF. Girls CAF
CHB. CHG
KEA. Handsworth
HGS. Sutton

Someone with a CHB place goes to KES, so the boy next on the list, who has been offered KEA gets offered CHB, he gives up his KEA place, so next boy on list who holds HGS place gets offered KEA, so gives up his HGS place and so on.

The same happens to girls, with CHG at the top.

However, both boys and girls can put FW on CAF and this brings in more movement at FW as you have both boys and girls giving up places, in effect, twice the movement.

With FW

Boys CAF. Girls CAF
CHB. CHG
FW. FW
KEA. Handsworth

I'm hoping this helps to explain why there is a lot of movement on FW list.
paulgreen

Post by paulgreen »

My DS is in yr7 handsworth KE this year. Last year there was not much movements in CHB because they offered 30 extra places on 1st March knowing that atleast 30 will drop out for private schools. Foundation office confirmed this to parents. It will be in the last year forum somewhere!
SVK

Post by SVK »

Thanks nervousmom for the detailed explanation. It is amazing how a movement at the top can trickle down all the way through.

And thanks paulgreen for that info that CHB over offered on 1st March. That make perfect sense now. Roughly 30 will drop out from each CHB and CHG, and some will drop out for other reasons (moving away, homeschool, etc), that would make 60 to 70 places becoming available. Hopefully it work the same again this year.
wizz

Post by wizz »

Hi,
My daughter has score of 211 (pupil premium)
we would like ke handsworth, do you think its tok much of a risk to be considered?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now