Thomas Telford ‘supersedes’ LA allocation??? Help!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tvgirl

Thomas Telford ‘supersedes’ LA allocation??? Help!!

Post by tvgirl »

Hi all,

I’m panicking a bit!!

We applied to both Adams andTTS. Adams is our first choice. I’ve just been reading the application guide from T&W council and it says that an offer from TTS will supersede the allocation made by the LA. What does this mean?

Does it mean that if TTS make an offer then Adams won’t even if they normally would make an offer???

Help!!
ToadMum

Re: Thomas Telford ‘supersedes’ LA allocation??? Help!!

Post by ToadMum »

tvgirl wrote:Hi all,

I’m panicking a bit!!

We applied to both Adams andTTS. Adams is our first choice. I’ve just been reading the application guide from T&W council and it says that an offer from TTS will supersede the allocation made by the LA. What does this mean?

Does it mean that if TTS make an offer then Adams won’t even if they normally would make an offer???

Help!!
I am not in your area and have no idea how the local authority previously worded it, but my understanding from reading allocation posts on here has always been that those who have applied to Thomas Telford as well as 'normal' state schools and who get a TT offer also get a 'normal' offer. This thread is from earlier this year:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... rd#p659127
pennwald wrote:Our DD was offered TT as well as Newport High, but it was an easy decision to decline TT.
She's not too bothered about the superior TT sports facilities and results at NGHS are far better.
So one place up for grabs for the 1000 who didn't get offered TT!

Until yesterday I would have agreed with the comments about actively seeking sporty kids, but the 2 or 3 most talented sporty ones at DD's school didn't get offered a place. In previous years it would almost have been a 'given' that they would get places, so maybe there has been a slight shift in emphasis.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looks like they have changed things

page 92 of the information booklet
If you wish your child to be considered a place at Thomas Telford you must apply directly to the school. As a City Technology
College it operates its own independent admission arrangements. You must apply directly to the school and you should not
put Thomas Telford on your preference form.
Please be aware that by applying for a place at Thomas Telford School, should your child be offered a place at Thomas
Telford School, this offer will supersede a Local Authority school offer.

The Governing Bodies of Holy Trinity Academy and The Grammar Schools also ask parents to complete a
supplementary information form to provide additional information in order to apply their admissions criteria. You get the
supplementary form from the school direct and must return it to the school.
This supplementary form on it’s own will not be regarded as a valid application.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:Looks like they have changed things

If you wish your child to be considered a place at Thomas Telford you must apply directly to the school. As a City Technology
College it operates its own independent admission arrangements. You must apply directly to the school and you should not
Please be aware that by applying for a place at Thomas Telford School, should your child be offered a place at Thomas

The Governing Bodies of Holy Trinity Academy and The Grammar Schools also ask parents to complete a
supplementary information form to provide additional information in order to apply their admissions criteria. You get the
This supplementary form on it’s own will not be regarded as a valid application.
Why can't they just process applications via the CAF like normal human beings?

Btw, is that it's actually on the website??
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

Hi all,

I’m panicking a bit!!

Help!!
I phoned T & W LEA about this 3 yrs ago as my son was potentially in a similar position (although in the end he did not get an offer from TT but fortunately did from Adams!). The LEA said that TT supercedes all schools except the grammars and if you are offered TT and Adams you get the choice. To put your mind at rest you might want to ring them to confirm this is still the case.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Until just reading up on TT I was unaware of this process. Sounds like they are one of three remaining CTCs in the country that have not converted to an academy and can therefore act like an independent school. I don't believe they should force parents to forfeit their place at a state school if they are offered though, sounds like a case of having their cake and eating it too in terms of 'cooperating' with the local authority when it suits.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:Looks like they have changed things

Why can't they just process applications via the CAF like normal human beings?

Btw, is that it's actually on the website??
It is. :lol: :lol:

Sounds like OP needs to clarify with LEA - agree very unfair for a school to stop someone having the GS place. Many people apply to TT on the off chance of getting a place, not really expecting to at all.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I would challenge the assertion that the CAF caters to 'normal human beings'. A more confusing and accident-prone system would be hard to imagine, though it is better than what it replaced I suppose.
tvgirl

Post by tvgirl »

I emailed them last night but decided to phone this morning anyway. Apparently, however, you can’t speak to them by phone and email is the only way to contact them so it’s now just a waiting game...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

tvgirl wrote:I emailed them last night but decided to phone this morning anyway. Apparently, however, you can’t speak to them by phone and email is the only way to contact them so it’s now just a waiting game...
ho ho - yes - had exactly the same dealing with council tax in T&W. e-mail only (or a very very long wait on the phone) response was efficient but slow