Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:21 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: A score of 217
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:38 pm
Posts: 21
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum. Firstly well done to all the kiddies whatever number came in the post today, you should all be super proud :D

My DS has a score of 217, super proud of him.. BV is up there for us as a choice, what are his chances??

Thank you


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A score of 217
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 12:06 pm
Posts: 2378
Location: Birmingham
BV is becoming more and more popular and rightly so as it's a super school - unfortunately for you this means that on 217 your son is highly unlikely to receive an offer on 1 March.

It's still definitely placing as first choice (if it is first choice) to be possibly offered off the waiting list.

We do not know exactly what the last waiting list offer for BV was this year, but the school or LA should have and be able to give you this information - if you get it please let us know. It can give some indication of the chances.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A score of 217
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:38 pm
Posts: 21
um wrote:
BV is becoming more and more popular and rightly so as it's a super school - unfortunately for you this means that on 217 your son is highly unlikely to receive an offer on 1 March.

It's still definitely placing as first choice (if it is first choice) to be possibly offered off the waiting list.

We do not know exactly what the last waiting list offer for BV was this year, but the school or LA should have and be able to give you this information - if you get it please let us know. It can give some indication of the chances.



Thank you so much. QM is his 1st choice BV will go as a second. I agree it is a super school.

I will of course let you know, thanks again


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A score of 217
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:39 pm
Posts: 22
Does that mean my DS should be relatively safe on 225? I’m a tad worried about the impact of the extra 600 which sat the exam.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A score of 217
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 634
Wolczr wrote:
Does that mean my DS should be relatively safe on 225? I’m a tad worried about the impact of the extra 600 which sat the exam.


Although we don’t really know until 1st March, I would be confident with 225. The score has been steadily rising over the years for BV, but even if it does rise again you should still be ok.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A score of 217
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 pm
Posts: 14
my DS also scored 217 we live in Shirley. the closest would be FW or BV I think. I am hoping he may stand a chance for BV on the waiting list.

would he stand no chance at FW? he really likes the school and this is would be ideal as has a green bus. BV would be very difficult for him to travel to.

not sure if even worth putting down as a choice. any advise would bewelcomed!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A score of 217
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm
Posts: 3662
Sandkb wrote:
my DS also scored 217 we live in Shirley. the closest would be FW or BV I think. I am hoping he may stand a chance for BV on the waiting list.

would he stand no chance at FW? he really likes the school and this is would be ideal as has a green bus. BV would be very difficult for him to travel to.

not sure if even worth putting down as a choice. any advise would bewelcomed!


Assuming you are non PP Five Ways in my opinion would be a wasted choice.You should consider KE Handsworth where he will get a place and KE Aston maybe from the waiting lists.

_________________
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A score of 217
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:10 am
Posts: 421
Sandkb wrote:
my DS also scored 217 we live in Shirley. the closest would be FW or BV I think. I am hoping he may stand a chance for BV on the waiting list.

would he stand no chance at FW? he really likes the school and this is would be ideal as has a green bus. BV would be very difficult for him to travel to.

not sure if even worth putting down as a choice. any advise would bewelcomed!


You could get to HGS quicker than BV - according to Centro journey planner it's just over 50 minutes from Shirley station, changing to the no 74 bus in town. I've seen a group of lads waiting for that bus in the morning and at parents evening last year one of the parents told me there was a group getting the train (then 74) from Hall Green - is that the same line?

Obviously if you have a good local comprehensive you may prefer to opt for that. It's a very personal decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A score of 217
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:08 am
Posts: 6
Hi all

Well done to all the children for working so hard!!

Can I have some advice please?

My son scored 231, I am not sure how to go about doing the school application.

I am not sure if I should put FW as first choice then Handsworth Grammar? Is 231 enough points? Is it a waiting list game? Aston and BV Is too far I think for a child to travel for the next five years.... :(

I seriously don’t know what to do....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A score of 217
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:08 pm
Posts: 1714
sallygill wrote:
Hi all

Well done to all the children for working so hard!!

Can I have some advice please?

My son scored 231, I am not sure how to go about doing the school application.

I am not sure if I should put FW as first choice then Handsworth Grammar? Is 231 enough points? Is it a waiting list game? Aston and BV Is too far I think for a child to travel for the next five years.... :(

I seriously don’t know what to do....


Congrats Sallygill - that's a great score. Last score for 2018 entry for FW was 228, offers day was 232. So, although borderline, going by previous years you have a pretty good chance.

Always put them in the order of your priority on CAF. In your case FW, followed by Handsworth. If you don't get FW, Handsworth will automatically become your first choice. The schools have no idea where you place them on your form and this is common misconception people have. If 231 wasn't enough for FW, on the 1st March you will be offered Handsworth and placed on waiting list for FW.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GRMA, streathammum and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2019