isymum

Re: QM Results 2019

Post by isymum »

Thanks for that Helen appreciate it
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

helen0209 wrote:
isymum wrote:Some advice needed please a friend son has received 310 for Queen Mary boys test and 196 for the Birmingham Consortuim.

Is there any hope do you think getting into Queen Mary or Handsworth Boys?
Unfortunately I would say not. HGS went to 205 last year and was extremely slow in moving - it did do 201 the previous year, and I think 203 the year before. The way QM jumped last year I can’t see it coming down to 310, and indeed hasn’t been that low for a while. As long as he has the desire to achieve he will do well wherever he goes.
I agree.

Only one further thought he is not seeking a pupil premium place ? As QM now have a separate pp list.I don't know what last years cut off was if someone can post that information if they have it.

If its not pp then you will have to consider alternatives.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
isymum

Post by isymum »

Thanks guys
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Yes 310 May be enough for pp at QMGS. It states 30 places available for pp for boys scoring over 305.
isymum

Post by isymum »

That’s what I thought shame they don’t have Pp
Nkc11

Post by Nkc11 »

Hi all.
Would appreciate any thoughts on 334 for Queen Mary and 219 for Birmingham. DS loves Queen Mary. Is it wishful thinking looking at the trend in cut off over the last couple of years to put as a first choice or Sensible to opt for Handsworth/Aston.
We can work round commute
Macmum

Post by Macmum »

Nkc11 wrote:Hi all.
Would appreciate any thoughts on 334 for Queen Mary and 219 for Birmingham. DS loves Queen Mary. Is it wishful thinking looking at the trend in cut off over the last couple of years to put as a first choice or Sensible to opt for Handsworth/Aston.
We can work round commute

Hi

Our DS scored 334 too last year!

On previous years, I was optimistic that he’d receive an offer on 1st March for QMGS, but it wasn’t to be. He did get in, but off the waiting list (position 20 when list was initially disclosed), offered on 20th June! It’s just so hard to know what will happen this year after such a huge increase last year.
I know it’s hard but it really made me believe that things will pan out the way it’s meant to be in the end! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your boy.
Macmum

Post by Macmum »

Incidentally, if QMGS is your number 1 choice, definitely put it as so on CAF. If it’s not enough on 1st March, he’ll automatically go onto the waiting list.
Wolczr

Post by Wolczr »

Littlemissgiggles wrote:
Wolczr wrote:Can somebody provide me with the reassurance that we are okay on 352? We got 225 on the Bham test - my son found the Walsall test much easier. We are genuinely surprised by the disparity between the results.
Unfortunately only the LA can give you that assurrance on 1st March 2019. I'm not a gambling person but i'd bet fiver he will get into QMGS on that score.

Regarding the perceived disparity. It isn't really a disparity. The Birmingham and Walsall tests are marked in different ways.

Birmingham weighting is 50% of marks from Maths/NVR and 50% of marks from VR/literacy. The standardised average per section is 100, and 200 in total.

Whereas Walsall is marked with a third of marks for Maths, a third for NVR and a third for VR/literacy. The standardised 'average' is 100 per section this makes the overall average 300.

Based on this he has performed almost equally well in both exams and is likely of an offer on 1st March. Congratulations!
I think i need to explain myself rather better. I am no statistician so if my reasoning is erroneous, i am happy to be corrected. My reasoning is as follows.

My son scored 225 on the Bham test and 352 on the QM test. The average score of the Bham test is 200; the average score of the Walsall test is 300.

If we assume that the Standard Deviation (SD) on the Bham test is 25, then my son's score falls at the end of the first SD (i.e. +1SD or 225). If we assume that the SD on the Walsall test is 25, then my son's score falls in the third SD (with the third SD starting at 351). This is a huge difference, in a test, where small differences have large impacts.

Or, on a more pessimistic assumption. Lets assume that the SDs on both tests is 30. In which case my son falls just below the first SD (230) for the Bham test, and just below the second SD (360) for the Walsall test. A significant disparity.

Or, indeed, if we assume a 25 SD for the Bham test and a 30 SD for the Walsall test, then there nevertheless remains a significant disparity between the scores, which is most perplexing.

Anybody in the know out there who can help me with this?
MSD

Post by MSD »

Wolczr,

Birmingham appears it be using standard deviation of around 13. If I use that number for both of your scores, you will get approximately 17% of cohort scoring above the 225 SD for Birmingham, and 10% scoring above 351 for Walsall.

What exactly are you trying to work out?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now