Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SheepSheep

Re: QM Results 2019

Post by SheepSheep »

Tinka1979 wrote:
bluejay wrote:
SheepSheep wrote:My son has achieved 343 so I’m hopeful of a place at QMGS. It all depends on what change there is in the lowest score this year. A huge relief as he didn’t make the qualifying score for any of the BHam consortium schools. Haven’t told him yet as he’s had a birthday sleepover, so waiting to get him on his own!!
Good luck everyone!!
Well done to your boy x

So pleased for your DS. That is such a difference from his Birmingham score, I think he may have gone out of sync on his answer sheet or something drastically went wrong in the 1st exam. Well Done.
[/quote
Thank you! He came out of the BHam test saying there weren’t enough boxes in the answer grid for his maths answers, and he missed loads of the multiple choice ones as he didn’t consider taking an educated guess. He was so upset with himself, I felt like an awful mum for putting him through it.
I then convinced him to sit down with me and run through a few examples with the CGP practise papers, as they have the answer sheet. He said the Walsall test went better as he’d worked out the formula to use the answer sheet. He said the Bond books weren’t a true representation of the test format, so I’ll give his feedback on the thread about next year’s exam!
And he is pretty strong on maths, so maybe that helped!!
It’s all feeling real now!
SheepSheep

Post by SheepSheep »

quasimodo wrote:
SheepSheep wrote:My son has achieved 343 so I’m hopeful of a place at QMGS. It all depends on what change there is in the lowest score this year. A huge relief as he didn’t make the qualifying score for any of the BHam consortium schools. Haven’t told him yet as he’s had a birthday sleepover, so waiting to get him on his own!!
Good luck everyone!!
Well done its a great school.

It seems if I am guessing he is better at maths and non verbal reasoning ?

We and my youngest dd have to make a decision as to whether to go for the sixth form.Its local and did wonders for my eldest dd.My instincts and hers as she is so happy at WGHS despite the distance is not to move her.They know her and she knows them.It also is a great school.To make the decision even easier not that I need to go round the school is not to go for the sixth form open evenings.However all these thoughts are dependent on the results of those little GCSE's in 2020.
Glad your DD is settled at QMHS. I remember taking my eldest DD to the open day in 2014, it was a lovely school. Sadly we have a fair old train journey to get to Walsall as we have no grammar schools in staffs. She was very anxious about this and was relieved when she got a borderline mark, as she got into a good comprehensive school, where she’s thriving!
My 3rd child, another DD, is hoping to go to QMGS so will work towards sitting the test in 2020 for 2021 intake.
A lovely girl showed us around QMGS who had moved there for 6th form, after doing well at GCSEs at a comp.
difficult decisions to make for you then!! Xx
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Just received ours. DS scored 358. He found the time constraints much harder on this than the Birmingham test but has still mamanged to do well despite timing out on all sections appart from the maths.
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Rooroo wrote:Just received ours. DS scored 358. He found the time constraints much harder on this than the Birmingham test but has still mamanged to do well despite timing out on all sections appart from the maths.
Well done to your DS, a brilliant score. I would be breathing a huge sigh of relief now!
pinkmum

Post by pinkmum »

Have any of the girls school letters arrived? We’re hoping for WGHS but ticked the boxes for all three girls schools in the consortium. Letters are arriving earlier than expected but so far it seems just boys have got received them?
SheepSheep

Post by SheepSheep »

Rooroo wrote:Just received ours. DS scored 358. He found the time constraints much harder on this than the Birmingham test but has still mamanged to do well despite timing out on all sections appart from the maths.
Well done to your son, fantastic score!!!
Wolczr

Post by Wolczr »

Can somebody provide me with the reassurance that we are okay on 352? We got 225 on the Bham test - my son found the Walsall test much easier. We are genuinely surprised by the disparity between the results.
Knitfaststaywarm

Post by Knitfaststaywarm »

pinkmum wrote:Have any of the girls school letters arrived? We’re hoping for WGHS but ticked the boxes for all three girls schools in the consortium. Letters are arriving earlier than expected but so far it seems just boys have got received them?
Firstly well done to all that have received their results! - I've not received my girls Pinkmum, so I'm guessing as you say, the boys have gone out first and we should get the girls Monday?

Have all of the Birmingham results gone out - my dd said at school 4 boys hadn't received theirs?
Littlemissgiggles

Post by Littlemissgiggles »

Wolczr wrote:Can somebody provide me with the reassurance that we are okay on 352? We got 225 on the Bham test - my son found the Walsall test much easier. We are genuinely surprised by the disparity between the results.
Unfortunately only the LA can give you that assurrance on 1st March 2019. I'm not a gambling person but i'd bet fiver he will get into QMGS on that score.

Regarding the perceived disparity. It isn't really a disparity. The Birmingham and Walsall tests are marked in different ways.

Birmingham weighting is 50% of marks from Maths/NVR and 50% of marks from VR/literacy. The standardised average per section is 100, and 200 in total.

Whereas Walsall is marked with a third of marks for Maths, a third for NVR and a third for VR/literacy. The standardised 'average' is 100 per section this makes the overall average 300.

Based on this he has performed almost equally well in both exams and is likely of an offer on 1st March. Congratulations!
pinkmum

Post by pinkmum »

Knitfaststaywarm wrote: Firstly well done to all that have received their results! - I've not received my girls Pinkmum, so I'm guessing as you say, the boys have gone out first and we should get the girls Monday?
NGHS say on their website that letters are being posted Monday 15th, QMHS that letters will go out week commencing 15th (Monday) and we have had a letter from WGHS to say letters will be posted on Friday 19th. I got my hopes up when I saw the boys have received letters early but looks like we might just have to wait after all ☹️
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now