NGHS 2018 results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousdad1

Re: NGHS 2018 results

Post by nervousdad1 »

I have spoken to at least 15 families from Wolverhampton and have turned away for Girls High and are focusing on Newport girls scores range from 335 - 390 this is from two schools in the Wolverhampton area
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

Thank you Nervous Dad.

My own view is that OOA qualifying scores will not be much different this year - people say many things about their intentions and no one knows if the information on the scores their children apparently obtained is entirely accurate. Anecdotal evidence has to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Let us not unduly worry people reading this forum.
Canarygirl

Post by Canarygirl »

Hatethewaiting wrote:
Canarygirl wrote:My daughter scored 329, we are in catchment and the letter said "should" be offered a place, but many of her friends out of catchment scored much higher. Not sure what my daughter's chances are of a place. I know they say priority is given to catchment girls but I guess I will have to see what 1st March brings.
Do you know many OOA and what sort of scores they are? Seems to be a lot with high score this year.
6 of her friends ooa have scored from 330 to 359.
Inspector General

Canarygirl wrote:
Hatethewaiting wrote:
Canarygirl wrote:My daughter scored 329, we are in catchment and the letter said "should" be offered a place, but many of her friends out of catchment scored much higher. Not sure what my daughter's chances are of a place. I know they say priority is given to catchment girls but I guess I will have to see what 1st March brings.
Do you know many OOA and what sort of scores they are? Seems to be a lot with high score this year.
6 of her friends ooa have scored from 330 to 359.
In my view it is almost inconceivable that your daughter would not be offered a place if she is in area with a score of 329.

Indeed she should get a place with 329 even if she was out of area based on previous years' cut-offs. People are reporting knowledge of high scores on this forum but given that scores are standardised on a normal distribution curve then it is either a co-incidence that the high scorers are girls known to users of this forum (assuming that they or their parents have accurately relayed their scores!) or there are vastly more girls taking the test than usual (which I don't think there is any evidence of) which would drive the cut-off score upwards. It may be slightly higher than last year but I can't see any reason for it to be significantly higher. Time will tell if I have called this correctly!! Either way, being in-area you should have nothing to worry about!
purple1234

Post by purple1234 »

I am beginning to wonder if there has been a spike in scores this year. My daughter school typically had 0-1 children getting into a grammar school each year. It’s been like this for over 10+years. This year there are approximately 6 who, based on last year cut off, have scored well enough to get into all the consortium schools.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

purple1234 wrote:I am beginning to wonder if there has been a spike in scores this year. My daughter school typically had 0-1 children getting into a grammar school each year. It’s been like this for over 10+years. This year there are approximately 6 who, based on last year cut off, have scored well enough to get into all the consortium schools.
If the scores are standardised, the spread of scores will be the same as every year so it is just chance. I'm not in your area, but in my 2 DS's years there was a huge difference in pass rate. DS1's year had always been considered "bright". The pass rate overall was the same though.
scary mum
Inspector General

scary mum wrote:
purple1234 wrote:I am beginning to wonder if there has been a spike in scores this year. My daughter school typically had 0-1 children getting into a grammar school each year. It’s been like this for over 10+years. This year there are approximately 6 who, based on last year cut off, have scored well enough to get into all the consortium schools.
If the scores are standardised, the spread of scores will be the same as every year so it is just chance. I'm not in your area, but in my 2 DS's years there was a huge difference in pass rate. DS1's year had always been considered "bright". The pass rate overall was the same though.
I agree with this. Not only is it statistically logical in view of the standardisation process, but it has been confirmed by the school (I had another look at the letter we were sent from NGHS which specifically stated that the scores were similar to the previous year). I also note from an email today that there will be 6 more places than last year! So :)s all round!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now