HGS vs QMGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crazycrofter

Re: HGS vs QMGS

Post by crazycrofter »

rubberwheelz wrote:Thanks for all your help/advice. Particularly regarding travel issues with green bus. I see it's not such a great option! I think as HGS is closer that might be the better option.
I'm aware previously HGS wasnt performing so well and had issues with behavioural problems. I know the current headteacher has turned around grades and ofsted performance but just a bit concerned that there still might be a 'bullying culture'. DS has a medical condition that he has been bullied for at primary school, so really want to avoid anywhere that's very 'ladish' (you know what I mean). Anyway, we're booked in to visit both schools over the next week so hopefully we'll get a feel for both schools and it'll help us to decide which will better suit our DS.
Actually, my son did have a bit of trouble from one lad last year. I was really impressed by how responsive the school were though. They always dealt with things as soon as I rang them and then rang me back the same day to let me know what they'd done. They've also spent quite a lot of form time and assemblies on name calling, bullying etc. Things have been fine this year, but they have the same form tutor for years 7 -11 so I know that his tutor is already aware of what happened last year and the fact that ds can be a bit sensitive, which is helpful.

I think you'll find bullying and bad behaviour everywhere unfortunately. The key thing is how it's dealt with.
paulgreen

Post by paulgreen »

My son is in yr 7 HGS this year. WE had concerns about the area but the school is very good. He travels in the no.11. He has been very happy in HGS. The only trouble he had was from a George Dixon boy who took my son's bag, but an yr 9 from HGS intervened and sorted it out. My son does feel looked after by other boys in his school.

We are very impressed with HGS and my son loves going to school everyday!
jym

Post by jym »

helen0209 wrote:If you give HGS a ring on Monday morning I’m sure they organise small tours for when the results are out - they certainly did a couple of years ago.
You may find one school caters more for what your DS wants to do - one reason we ranked HGS higher than BV was because they did German and football - you may find one does something your DS really wants to do and the other doesn’t.
I am happy to answer any queries you have about HGS (have one in Y9 and one in Y7), but it does need to be which is right for your son.
There are many boys who get public transport to HGS so he wouldn’t be alone - 1 1/4 hours each way adds a lot to a school day and needs to be considered.
Hi Helen

We are thinking of applying to the school we are in wlverhampton, and travel is a concern. Are you aware of any green bus routes bia wolverhampton, or n your experience are any of the children using the tram service to get to the school . Thanks
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

jym wrote:
helen0209 wrote:If you give HGS a ring on Monday morning I’m sure they organise small tours for when the results are out - they certainly did a couple of years ago.
You may find one school caters more for what your DS wants to do - one reason we ranked HGS higher than BV was because they did German and football - you may find one does something your DS really wants to do and the other doesn’t.
I am happy to answer any queries you have about HGS (have one in Y9 and one in Y7), but it does need to be which is right for your son.
There are many boys who get public transport to HGS so he wouldn’t be alone - 1 1/4 hours each way adds a lot to a school day and needs to be considered.
Hi Helen

We are thinking of applying to the school we are in wlverhampton, and travel is a concern. Are you aware of any green bus routes bia wolverhampton, or n your experience are any of the children using the tram service to get to the school . Thanks
As per Quasimodo’s reply on the other thread, there are a number of boys who use the tram. If you search Lategate, Penguin Mom and Caveman47 I think they have all posted about it. There are a number of boys who use it, and it appears to be pretty reliable.
rubberwheelz

Post by rubberwheelz »

Quick update - we visited both schools and have now submitted applications form :)
We would be happy if our DS went to either school but we put HGS as the higher preference in the end as it's closer and we were very impressed with the Head.
Just wanted to say a big thank you to those on this forum who helped guide our decision making.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

rubberwheelz wrote:Quick update - we visited both schools and have now submitted applications form :)
We would be happy if our DS went to either school but we put HGS as the higher preference in the end as it's closer and we were very impressed with the Head.
Just wanted to say a big thank you to those on this forum who helped guide our decision making.
Well done with your decision.Its whats right for you and your family. :D
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Pleased that you've reached a decision RubberWheelz.

PaulGreen - lovely to hear your son's really enjoying HGS.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

rubberwheelz wrote:Quick update - we visited both schools and have now submitted applications form :)
Glad you’ve made a decision! With the difference in travel time, I’m sure you won’t regret it. Year 7 is very tiring, they have to get used to all the homework etc and a journey time of over an hour (plus the early start) just makes that even harder.

It’s definitely do-able - we got through last year! - but I wouldn’t choose it if there’s a closer option!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now