Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:56 am 

I posted this on a previous thread also.
He sat it in Wolverhampton (the company based in Shirley) and took the exam in June. We only booked in for one mock with them, purely to get him familiar with the environment.

He ranked 19th out of 50 boys and overall 29th out of 96 students.

They did state at the top of the results page:
As a benchmark going on previous year's results for children that sat a K**L mock exam being of similar complexity; the majority of children who secured:

62% and above secured a place in a grammar/Independent school.
54-61% were borderline so some secured a place and some did not.
Only a few who scored less than 54% secured a place.

This information is strictly an indicator of how children performed in previous years and does not predict how your child will do this year. We cannot guarantee how your child will perform on the day.

In the mock: He scored 113/170 and achieved 66%

In the exams: He scored 234 Bhm and 332 QMGS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 am 

MSD wrote:
Poppypup,

I saw your post earlier, which seems to have been deleted since. To answer your question, the way SD scores distribution works is that you will always get the same percentage of children scoring above or below a certain SD score, irrespective of the year the test was taken. So, it would be incorrect to assume there are likely to be more higher scores this year than previous years. However, it would be correct to assume that the actual cohort size this year went up by approx. 600 children, so the percentage of children achieving above a certain SD would also have gone up proportionally.

And what exact difference the additional cohort size will make to Camphill Girl's cut-off is anyone's guess. It really depends on how many additional candidates taking test were genuinely interested in Birmingham and weren't just sitting it as a potential mock to prepare for other regions. And, we don't really know which way the wind will blow this year, and how many parents will favour CHG over other schools and whether the trend of CHG being the number 1 choice for parents be similar to previous years. So, as you can see there are a lot of variables here. All we can reasonably assume is that all other things being equal, and going by previous year's stats, and additional 600 children taking test, the cut-off might go up by a very small margin - maybe a couple of points.

Hi MSD,

Thank you for you reply. Yes, I deleted it as I thought I’m not even sure anyone can give me definitive answer and we won’t know anything till March so my post seemed. Bit pointless.

I hadn’t considered the extra 600 so yes, that’s add3 another perspective.

I felt quite positive a few days ago and then yesterday started feeling uncertain, hence the post.all we can do 8s hope that it will work out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:40 am 

My son did 4 or 5 Shirley mock's and scored well in all of them (85-95% I think).

He scored 250++ so that tallies.

I think the Mock's were helpful in not only checking his performance level but also getting him used to exam conditions, time management, and general exam techniques. He also enjoyed doing them but he is a bit strange like that :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:31 pm 

muppetdogger wrote:
My son did 4 or 5 Shirley mock's and scored well in all of them (85-95% I think).

He scored 250++ so that tallies.

I think the Mock's were helpful in not only checking his performance level but also getting him used to exam conditions, time management, and general exam techniques. He also enjoyed doing them but he is a bit strange like that :?

Congratulations to your DS. Mine also did a few after doing the first he requested to more, he enjoyed them too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:49 pm 

Hi all,

My DD took all 5 mock tests and the August one was her highest, 87%. She scored 250+ in the actual grammar test. Hope this helps.