How to chose between Sutton coldfield and handsworth girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shaks

How to chose between Sutton coldfield and handsworth girls?

Post by Shaks »

Hi
How do you chose between the two schools?
Anyone's children attend the school? Any insights?
crazycrofter

Re: How to chose between Sutton coldfield and handsworth gir

Post by crazycrofter »

Shaks wrote:Hi
How do you chose between the two schools?
Anyone's children attend the school? Any insights?
We went round them both when we were in this position and let our daughter choose. She also happened to choose the one which was easier to get to!

She ended up at KEHS so I can’t comment on either school in detail but we liked both when we visited (which was after the results and on a school day - have you rung them for tours?).

If you like both I’d decide based on ease of travel and I would also prioritise public transport. I don’t think there’s much between them in terms of results.
Guest2014

Post by Guest2014 »

Choose the closer of the two to your home.

Your child will do equally well in either school. My daughters got high scores a few years ago but I sent them to KE Handsworth as it was the nearest GS to our house and glad I did as it frees up so much time for the whole family, less commuting, less stress rushing to finish HW etc etc.

I can say nothing good/bad about the school, my daughters are ticking along, doing well some terms and less well in other terms. They don't engage much with extra-curricular stuff but 'work' as librarians most lunch times and take music lessons. They complain that some girls have poor behaviour and some teachers are not focused and go off-task too often with tall tales. On the other hand they both have 100% attendance over their combined 6 years and refuse to take a day off, even when unwell.
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

Another vote for choosing the nearest one / the one that's easiest to get to on public transport. I have 2 daughters at Handsworth and we're happy with the school but neither of them enjoys the commute which is about 50-60 mins door to door.
Maxmam

Post by Maxmam »

Is Sutton doing better than handsworth? / handsworth effort & environment going down? Is 10/15 minutes travel differences (car) worth enough to move / choose handsworth from/over Sutton?