Primary (independent) outside our grammar area?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MSD

Re: Primary (independent) outside our grammar area?

Post by MSD »

Inner Chimp wrote: So would I? Think I have asked for details of good tutors from MSD previously but never received a response?
Apologies Inner Chimp - I thought I mentioned that particular tutor, we discussed as part of mock exams difficulty, has retired. Anyway, I have sent you a PM to explain.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Inner Chimp wrote: I’m sure a tutor wouldn’t mind you getting them more business MSD?
It is a fallacy that all tutors look out for business at any cost. You will find the real good ones don’t advertise and are never in a mad rush to find new business. It naturally comes to them from word of mouth, and without spending a penny on Yellow Pages or any other adverstising sites for that matter. If, after years of tutoring, you are not getting recommended or repeat business from previous customers, then surely you are doing something wrong as a tutor.

The two 11+ tutors my children have worked with in the past, have always been booked in advance, sometimes as early as Year 2 or Year 3, with a long waiting list. That’s unfortunately the nature of 11+ tutoring in Birmingham. Good ones are like gold dust, and plenty others who will be conducting their first lesson within hours of meeting the parent and child.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MSD if you check CHB's 2017 data then 80 of the 93 have KS2 data ... so clearly not a lot of Private school students in that cohort.

https://www.compare-school-performance. ... year=final" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote:MSD if you check CHB's 2017 data then 80 of the 93 have KS2 data ... so clearly not a lot of Private school students in that cohort.

https://www.compare-school-performance. ... year=final" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The PAN for 2017 was 120, so not entirely sure why they are only showing 93. Although voluntary, some Independent Prep schools in Birmingham still use KS2 SATS.

The figures I quoted were approximately a year before my eldest sat his test in 2012. I do however know from trusted sources, in 2015 it was still the case that around half of KECHB were from Indie Preps and a little less than half of KECHG. However, West House barely featured in sending any children to KECHB. And of the very few boys from there, who make a KECHB score, most then choose KES. Norfolk House were getting more in than WH.

The figures published by Bluecoats indicate following numbers admitted for 2017, and, remember, that is only for one school out of the many independent preps in Birmingham

King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys - 15 (12.5%)
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls - 9

On that note, I must request this data from CHB, and publish here in due course so we can see the exact numbers and mull over them. Please do remember though that CHB now takes 30 Pupil Premium children out of 120, so this will automatically reduce the private intake in recent years. What we must really look at is the non-PP candidates(90) and how many out of those come from independent sector.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Please do remember though that CHB now takes 30 Pupil Premium children out of 120,
I understand many PP children are scoring enough to get into many of the schools and meeting the non PP cut off.

So for e.g.: You stated CHB will take 30 PP children. If the top scoring PP all scored say 230-240 would they be allocated the places first and as soon as 30 children have been allocated places will that be the cut off, if so the PP cut off will go up dramatically.

On another note, a friends daughter has scored 207 on the consortium exam and she is PP. My understanding is that this score was the PP cut off for FW last year. Can anyone confirm how many PP places they have available?
MSD

Post by MSD »

bluejay wrote:
Please do remember though that CHB now takes 30 Pupil Premium children out of 120,
I understand many PP children are scoring enough to get into many of the schools and meeting the non PP cut off.

So for e.g.: You stated CHB will take 30 PP children. If the top scoring PP all scored say 230-240 would they be allocated the places first and as soon as 30 children have been allocated places will that be the cut off, if so the PP cut off will go up dramatically.

On another note, a friends daughter has scored 207 on the consortium exam and she is PP. My understanding is that this score was the PP cut off for FW last year. Can anyone confirm how many PP places they have available?
Yes, they will take the top 30 PP scores. However, they do have a minimum qualification score for PP too. If 30 candidates applying to CHB do not meet that score, then those remaining places, out of the original 30, will be filled by non-PP. Few years back, I predicted the PP cut-off for more competitive schools like CHB will gradually rise to a point where all 30 PP candidates will be scoring the minimum non-PP CHB cut-off of around 242+. This is partly down to the booming tuition industry in Birmingham, which effectively takes away all the disadvantages of being on the PP list in the first place, and puts the very genuine PP candidates, who otherwise can't afford tuition, virtually out of the race.

My understanding is FW also takes 30.

PS - I must also add the numbers admitted to KECHB, for 2017 entry, from Bluecoats, will actually stand at around 17%, if we discount these 30 PP places, which are not applicable for independent sector. Quite a big number just from one prep school and surely points to uneven playing field.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Yes I know if a pp candidate who received tuition last year and scored 250+. This child was eligible for free school meals for a period of 9 months in ks1. Sadly I don't think the pp criteria means that those who really need to actually benefit.

Interesting and very unsurprising stats from the prep schools. Do you have any for FW?
MSD

Post by MSD »

Rooroo wrote:Yes I know if a pp candidate who received tuition last year and scored 250+. This child was eligible for free school meals for a period of 9 months in ks1. Sadly I don't think the pp criteria means that those who really need to actually benefit.

Interesting and very unsurprising stats from the prep schools. Do you have any for FW?
Numbers will vary year on year Rooroo. For 2017 entry, it was 1/3rd of CHB intake, from Blue Coat. They did however manage an astonishing 20 girls for KECHG alone in 2018. I wonder if the school is truly going places, or our wonderful tutors, who now are the ultimate masters of tackling anything thrown at them by CEM :D

I do know one of our previous tutor was pretty busy attending to children from Blue Coat.
YeomanOftheGuard

Post by YeomanOftheGuard »

Wow, thanks so much for these very informative replies. I am new to all this so the data, etc. is all very interesting but will require further study for me to make sense of it!
I think the reason the state primary publish destinations of Y6 (only to the current school parents) is for parents to know which catchments they are likely to come under. Just a guess, though - they didn't say why.
I know all those excellent state schools you mention and unfortunately we are not in one of them. We are not PP either.
We would be able to do some DIY tutoring at home. For full disclosure, I went to KEHS and was DIY tutored for it, so I do know what is required, but this was so many years ago and so much could have changed. We would prefer a school that could take most of that burden off us. I understand it is hard to say without knowing the school whether that will be the case or not.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

YeomanOftheGuard wrote:Wow, thanks so much for these very informative replies. I am new to all this so the data, etc. is all very interesting but will require further study for me to make sense of it!
I think the reason the state primary publish destinations of Y6 (only to the current school parents) is for parents to know which catchments they are likely to come under. Just a guess, though - they didn't say why.
I know all those excellent state schools you mention and unfortunately we are not in one of them. We are not PP either.
We would be able to do some DIY tutoring at home. For full disclosure, I went to KEHS and was DIY tutored for it, so I do know what is required, but this was so many years ago and so much could have changed. We would prefer a school that could take most of that burden off us. I understand it is hard to say without knowing the school whether that will be the case or not.
So are you unhappy with your current state school anyway?