Primary (independent) outside our grammar area?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MSD

Re: Primary (independent) outside our grammar area?

Post by MSD »

YeomanOftheGuard wrote:Wow, thanks so much for these very informative replies. I am new to all this so the data, etc. is all very interesting but will require further study for me to make sense of it!
I think the reason the state primary publish destinations of Y6 (only to the current school parents) is for parents to know which catchments they are likely to come under. Just a guess, though - they didn't say why.
I know all those excellent state schools you mention and unfortunately we are not in one of them. We are not PP either.
We would be able to do some DIY tutoring at home. For full disclosure, I went to KEHS and was DIY tutored for it, so I do know what is required, but this was so many years ago and so much could have changed. We would prefer a school that could take most of that burden off us. I understand it is hard to say without knowing the school whether that will be the case or not.
All the best in your future endeavours. If you do decide to DIY, come back to this site and you will find many helpful DIY tips and resources from posters like OldTrout, Quasi, JaneEyre, Nervousmum, PP and many others. Mentioned those names as you can search for their posts. First and foremost is to get the child reading a variety of English texts - VR is weighted at 50% for Birmingham and can be the game changer :D

Editing to add that reflecting on many parents' and tutor experience, some children tend to excessively focus on their key strengths and during that course neglect and not spend enough time on the pressing weaker areas. It's all well and good to consolidate your strengths, but you will find with 11+ scoring set-up, a child will gain most SD points by improving on those weak areas; and that might be the eventual difference between making a cut-off and just missing it by a point or two.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

From what I hear from friends connected with two of the Edgbaston prep schools, all the kids are tutored too. Certainly most of my daughter’s friends at KEHS are from prep schools and were also tutored! That doesn’t mean it’s necessary though. I’ve been thinking about my friends’ children who’ve taken the 11 plus recently. These are their scores:
Child 1: home educated,no tutoring but thoroughly prepared at home: 245
Child 2: state primary, no tutoring, prepared at home for a few months: 239
Child 3: state primary, 2 years intensive tutoring: 231
Child 4: state primary, a year tutoring: 225
Child 5: state primary, very last minute home prep: 218
Child 6: prep school, some home prep: 214
Child 7: prep school, a year tutoring: 214
Child 8: home educated, 3 months focused home prep: 213

Can you see any patterns? I can’t! All got a grammar school place. The four lowest scorers all took KES/KEHS too and 3 got assisted places!

I think a bright child (top table at primary) with supportive educated parents has a good chance of grammar and/or KES/KEHS regardless of what route is taken.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Absolutely, not necessary if the parent has the knowledge and the time to DIY as I pointed out in my original reply. And, I am sure, you will always get a handful of exceptionally bright children who will get through without lifting a finger.

Ultimately, parents have to decide which approach best suits their child, and, more importantly, how do they ensure their child is not being disadvantaged, knowing vast majority will take the professional tutoring route to increase the chances of entry. We chose the tutoring route as neither of us had the time or the knowledge, and I suspect vast majority of parents are in the same boat.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The data for Camp Hill Boys 2017 referred to by Guest55 relates to the boys taking GCSE in 2017, I.e. those who started at the school in 2012. Was PAN 93 in 2012?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MSD

Post by MSD »

Ah yes, for 2012 it would be close to 93. I always thought it was 90, but quite possible they offered above PAN that year, and, knowing CHB, not many dropped off, and hence stuck with 93.

The original point being made was that it would be incorrect to assume Birmingham independent preps don’t use KS2 SATS, as many did and still do; and based on that assumption make assertions on the demographic of CHB.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

MSD wrote:Ah yes, for 2012 it would be close to 93. I always thought it was 90, but quite possible they offered above PAN that year, and, knowing CHB, not many dropped off, and hence stuck with 93.

The original point being made was that it would be incorrect to assume Birmingham independent preps don’t use KS2 SATS, as many did and still do; and based on that assumption make assertions on the demographic of CHB.
I think being fair from an article I read in the TES from last month the use of KS2 sats was not extensive in Independent schools and was falling further.When I checked on some of the Birmingham preps on their websites it was clear from the websites that they were still being used.I see the different perspectives.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

For what it is worth OP...

The biggest factor in a child's attainment is their parents. Books at home, parents' education, supportive of the school, etc. This is true for prep and state schools. I have no data to back this up but as many are suggesting on this post, I would agree that the work that is happening outside of the schools is what is making the difference.

My kids (all at grammar schools) didn't do much formal 11+ prep. They did however, read lots of books and when their primary teacher suggested they needed to work on something at home, they did. That may have been securing their timestables or learning their spellings. Whatever the teacher suggested, they did it.

I guess what I am saying is, don't get hung up on 11+ prep at this stage. At the end of the day, the 11+ will be testing the primary curriculum. Some aspects will need to be practiced (much later) but the underlying skills and knowledge required are all taught at school.

Good luck. See you in a few years? :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now