Late application query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SundayGirl

Late application query

Post by SundayGirl »

I wonder if anyone can help. My daughter sat the test and it is likely that she could be offered Sutton Coldfield/go on waiting list for Handsworth Girls.

We don't live in the area but have been planning a move to Birmingham (for reasons other than school). However there have been some issues with my work situation and I am concerned these will not be resolved by 31 October. Ie we won't know whether we are able to move or not before the CAF deadline.

I therefore wanted to ask about putting in a late application. If we want to apply to these schools after 1 March, what is the procedure?

I did speak to someone at the Foundation Office who said that it would be possible to apply after March and that a higher score would go to the top of the waiting list. However when I spoke to Sutton Coldfield School and Birmingham City Council they seemed unsure, and said that the school would need to be on the original CAF application.

I notice that BCC manages the waiting list for Sutton rather than the FO. Does this make a difference?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can clarify. We've never done this before and are a bit stressed!

Many thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Late application query

Post by hermanmunster »

The eligibility for places at Sutton / Handsworth depends solely on the score achieved - it doesn't matter where you live now. if you are definitely moving before next Sept then put the schools down on the CAF for the LEA you live in now and you will be considered for a place.
Of course if you aren't absolutely sure you will be moving that could leave you without a school locally next year
SundayGirl

Post by SundayGirl »

Yes that is the problem. Might you know anything about late applications? We loved the schools but feel anxious about putting them down in case a move isn't viable.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think you can apply to any school after the deadline but not sure how they would handle the application - they may put you on the waiting list, this is specifically what you would need to ask BCC or the FO
SundayGirl

Post by SundayGirl »

I have spoken to them already and they gave conflicting advice. I'll try again next week. Thanks for your help though.

If anyone has any experience of this, it'd be great to know.
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Asking for a friend here- i’m guessing that the answer is that this is not possible- can you register a child now and sit the Birmingham test ASAP with a view to listing a Birmingham
School on the CAF form by Oct 31st? A friend’s daughter has sat the Walsall exam and got a borderline mark, she has only just realised that Birmingham GS might be an option with the green bus and now wants to register for Birmingham. Any advice would be welcome.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Lategate wrote:Asking for a friend here- i’m guessing that the answer is that this is not possible- can you register a child now and sit the Birmingham test ASAP with a view to listing a Birmingham
School on the CAF form by Oct 31st? A friend’s daughter has sat the Walsall exam and got a borderline mark, she has only just realised that Birmingham GS might be an option with the green bus and now wants to register for Birmingham. Any advice would be welcome.
I suspect that the response from Birmingham would be that late sittings of the exam are only for people moving into the area after the initial tests are over. Just had a look at the info leaflet - they do not accept any late applications
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

hermanmunster wrote:
Lategate wrote:Asking for a friend here- i’m guessing that the answer is that this is not possible- can you register a child now and sit the Birmingham test ASAP with a view to listing a Birmingham
I suspect that the response from Birmingham would be that late sittings of the exam are only for people moving into the area after the initial tests are over. Just had a look at the info leaflet - they do not accept any late applications
Thanks, I read that they will not accept late registrations either. I just wondered if that was a definitive rule, though I can’t see there being exceptions for not realising the viability of a GS location.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect just not realising you could get to a school would not be a valid reason, moving from some distance away might be a reason.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

SundayGirl wrote:I wonder if anyone can help. My daughter sat the test and it is likely that she could be offered Sutton Coldfield/go on waiting list for Handsworth Girls.

We don't live in the area but have been planning a move to Birmingham (for reasons other than school). However there have been some issues with my work situation and I am concerned these will not be resolved by 31 October. Ie we won't know whether we are able to move or not before the CAF deadline.

I therefore wanted to ask about putting in a late application. If we want to apply to these schools after 1 March, what is the procedure?

I did speak to someone at the Foundation Office who said that it would be possible to apply after March and that a higher score would go to the top of the waiting list. However when I spoke to Sutton Coldfield School and Birmingham City Council they seemed unsure, and said that the school would need to be on the original CAF application.

I notice that BCC manages the waiting list for Sutton rather than the FO. Does this make a difference?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can clarify. We've never done this before and are a bit stressed!

Many thanks
Just fill out the form for the LEA you live in NOW. Your daughter will get a place based on her score not your location provided she has scored high enough. Then when you move just inform them of your new address. Do not wait to move and then submit a late application as you will be at the bottom of the list.