Progress attainment vs GCSE league table

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
halsea

Re: Progress attainment vs GCSE league table

Post by halsea »

Yes but basically if they enter the school bright and leave the school bright, then a score that compares them to other pupils is not that relevant to parents is it? Sounds like SATS scores.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Of course its relevant - their progress is being compared to the progress of other bright children ...
MSD

Post by MSD »

I came across a well written and well-argued article suggesting new Progress 8 measures put in place were conceptually flawed. Here's what the author has to say and I tend to agree with him on quite a few points.

https://bennewmark.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... rogress-8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
halsea

Post by halsea »

Guest55 its only relevant to the government and possibly the teachers. A child doesn't get better grades because they are aware that little Johnny in Durham is scoring better than them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is relevant to Ofsted and can trigger an inspection. Why do you think the Government thinks this is important enough to publish openly like this? Where two schools have a similar intake then a higher progress 8 might mean [taking account of the confidence intervals] one school is 'better' than the other.

MSD - it's interesting that the article doesn't actually suggest an alternative. No measure is perfect but this is the best I've seen so far; certainly better than raw results. RAISEonline also publishes progress matrices [KS2 fine grades to GCSE grade] which I find very useful but they are confidential to a school.
halsea

Post by halsea »

How does an Ofsted inspection benefit a pupil? Sorry I'm confused by your arguments from a pupils perspective. And we are parents of pupils?

Plus certain types of schools are now exempt from Ofsted inspections I was told.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No state school is exempt from Ofsted - Ofsted can remove 'outstanding' from a school which will impact students in a number of ways.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote: MSD - it's interesting that the article doesn't actually suggest an alternative. No measure is perfect but this is the best I've seen so far; certainly better than raw results. RAISEonline also publishes progress matrices [KS2 fine grades to GCSE grade] which I find very useful but they are confidential to a school.
He does conclude that if we need a system to judge schools against each other, it must be based on credible data, acknowledge the role of context and reflect both achievement and attainment, which progress 8 measure miserably fails on.

It’s also interesting that Ofsted still consider progress 8 measure, while rating schools as they themselves feel the system has many flaws. Some observations from their inspectors below.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/spielman-ofst ... t-perfect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
halsea

Post by halsea »

"The inspection exemption for ‘outstanding’ schools was introduced by Michael Gove in 2011 as a way to devote more of inspectors’ time to failing schools and “free” top-rated schools from the burden of Ofsted" This is what I was referring to with my tired head last night. I know because our local school hasn't had an Ofsted for about 8 years.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Yeah, KECHB Ofsted inspection was way back in 2009 too - almost 10 years ago. So Progress 8 measures haven’t yet been reviewed or considered for CHB by Ofsted inspectors.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now