Loved Five Ways

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bewilderedofbearwood

Re: Loved Five Ways

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

Couldn't make it last night but we loved it when we went to the open day in the summer and it will be our first choice for DS.

Did anyone get any information on induction / settling in for new pupils? DS has started to feel a bit nervous about the fact he won't know anyone to begin with...
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

bewilderedofbearwood wrote:Couldn't make it last night but we loved it when we went to the open day in the summer and it will be our first choice for DS.

Did anyone get any information on induction / settling in for new pupils? DS has started to feel a bit nervous about the fact he won't know anyone to begin with...
The pupil who showed us round said they missed the session as didn't get get it place until after but said he thought they all came for a day in the summer term. I think they also start back a day sooner than the rest of the school.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

MSD wrote:It's a myth that FW doesn't attract candidates with higher scores. You will find there will be many pupils in FW, who have scored higher than CHB candidates. CHB is an excellent school and has over many years built a reputation for offering academic excellence, being number 1 on national league tables, too. So, I guess that's the reason for the cut-off to be a bit higher than FW, but again that doesn't mean anything either, as you may find, if FW only took 90 non-PP candidates rather than 150 non-PP, their cut-off, in all likelihood, will be well above 240.
Very good point!
bewilderedofbearwood

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

Thanks Rooroo. I think it is nice when schools offer the new year 7s a settling in day at the start of the year.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

halsea wrote:Rooroo, we viewed both and felt that hands down Five Ways was our preferred choice. The Head seems great and I really like the fact she has her door open one afternoon for any pupil to come and see her. I think it was an afternoon. We also saw the ratio of 2/3 boys as a positive for our daughter as there was a great sense of positive competition. There will always be issues in teenage years, but I felt less girls meant less drama etc. Also where its situated is amazing for water sports and sports full stop and they are the leading provider of D of E in the area.
Yes loved the open door policy. She actually seemed to care about the children more than any results.
Rum2005

Post by Rum2005 »

Hi my daughter started this year too and she loves it! She also was the only child who went from her school and knew no other children who attend the school. She has made many friends and loves the extra-curricular activities. Please feel free if you want to ask me any questions.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Rum2005 wrote:Hi my daughter started this year too and she loves it! She also was the only child who went from her school and knew no other children who attend the school. She has made many friends and loves the extra-curricular activities. Please feel free if you want to ask me any questions.
That's great to hear. What activities does she do and are they in lunch time or after school? If at lunch when does she eat?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Historically there are a couple of reasons why there are a greater proportion of boys to girls at KEFW.
Firstly there are more places available to girls compared to boys at other KE grammars in South Birmingham (KECHG has a greater year-7 intake than KECHB)
Secondly, some parents of girls prefer single sex grammar schools to coed grammars (although most 6th forms tend to be coed).

It's been some years now since my DS left KEFW but he really enjoyed his time there. Certainly the right choice for him.
It's certainly a large school with a big intake but it somehow didn't seem to loose it friendly reputation. I particularly liked the way the school encouraged the sixth form students to help & mentor the year7 pupils.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

KenR wrote:Historically there are a couple of reasons why there are a greater proportion of boys to girls at KEFW.
Firstly there are more places available to girls compared to boys at other KE grammars in South Birmingham (KECHG has a greater year-7 intake than KECHB)
Secondly, some parents of girls prefer single sex grammar schools to coed grammars (although most 6th forms tend to be coed).

It's been some years now since my DS left KEFW but he really enjoyed his time there. Certainly the right choice for him.
It's certainly a large school with a big intake but it somehow didn't seem to loose it friendly reputation. I particularly liked the way the school encouraged the sixth form students to help & mentor the year7 pupils.
180 is much smaller than any of our local schools. They're all 220+. Glad to hear it worked for your DS, what's he up to now?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Rooroo wrote:
180 is much smaller than any of our local schools. They're all 220+. Glad to hear it worked for your DS, what's he up to now?
Masters in Microbiology & Infection at Birmingham, now working as a Grad Scientist for Public Health England
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now