Loved Five Ways

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rum2005

Re: Loved Five Ways

Post by Rum2005 »

Rooroo wrote:
Rum2005 wrote:Hi my daughter started this year too and she loves it! She also was the only child who went from her school and knew no other children who attend the school. She has made many friends and loves the extra-curricular activities. Please feel free if you want to ask me any questions.
That's great to hear. What activities does she do and are they in lunch time or after school? If at lunch when does she eat?
Most of the activities are during lunch. Most of the after school activities are more geared for the school sports teams. She currently does football and netball but also wants to do the wall climbing which is currently full! She has her lunch at breaktime which is 30 mins but she will also have a little snack after the session.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Rooroo wrote:So glad we went back to look. Love the head and the atmosphere there felt more laid back than out local comp! Hope anyone else who went along enjoyed it.
Glad you like the school Rooroo, my husband would like us to put KEFW as second choice, but my son and I preferred BV. But I worry about the commute to BV too. We have yet to submit the CAF, as second choice seem to be in debate in our house.

Not sure about 2019 cut-off scores for CHB and how our first choice will pan out. Trying to stay positive for March. Wish they could temporary tell us in January.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Skylark wrote:
Rooroo wrote:So glad we went back to look. Love the head and the atmosphere there felt more laid back than out local comp! Hope anyone else who went along enjoyed it.
Glad you like the school Rooroo, my husband would like us to put KEFW as second choice, but my son and I preferred BV. But I worry about the commute to BV too. We have yet to submit the CAF, as second choice seem to be in debate in our house.

Not sure about 2019 cut-off scores for CHB and how our first choice will pan out. Trying to stay positive for March. Wish they could temporary tell us in January.
We are also yet to submit. Just waiting to see CHB on Monday but have a feeling it will go down as our second choice even though cut off is higher.

Yes we have a long wait on our hands now but in a fortunate position that our children will get a grammar school place somewhere.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Rooroo one thing that put me off CHG was how they handled the open day. They had masses of parents in an area that they did not know, simply being told at the gate go and find somewhere random to park, no pointers or help and yet they had some space that could have been used. Five Ways big smiles, come and park on our field. FW it was a lot more organised being taken on a tour, the noise was deafening at CHG. CHG when questions were asked about music lessons, they don't offer things like piano for I can't remember the exact reason but it wasn't positive.

KES hands down has squllions more money that they have spent on facilities; but transport is an issue for us and computing isn't a strong area. They also prioritise the welfare of the pupils because they want individual common rooms for each year, the library has a chill out section with dvds if you need to wait for a parent to pick up. There is a nurse on site, a Dr visits weekly etc. They are so pro maths, a trip to NASA was mentioned and students help to plan language trips.
These are just my thoughts from visiting all three.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

halsea wrote:Rooroo one thing that put me off CHG was how they handled the open day. They had masses of parents in an area that they did not know, simply being told at the gate go and find somewhere random to park, no pointers or help and yet they had some space that could have been used. Five Ways big smiles, come and park on our field. FW it was a lot more organised being taken on a tour, the noise was deafening at CHG. CHG when questions were asked about music lessons, they don't offer things like piano for I can't remember the exact reason but it wasn't positive.

KES hands down has squllions more money that they have spent on facilities; but transport is an issue for us and computing isn't a strong area. They also prioritise the welfare of the pupils because they want individual common rooms for each year, the library has a chill out section with dvds if you need to wait for a parent to pick up. There is a nurse on site, a Dr visits weekly etc. They are so pro maths, a trip to NASA was mentioned and students help to plan language trips.
These are just my thoughts from visiting all three.
Yes the facilities and opportunities were second to none. However the financial aspect concerns me, fantastic if we get the assisted place but then there's the travel costs and all the extras like the trips that we would struggle with.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Rooroo assisted places help with trips and other things as well.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

halsea wrote:Rooroo assisted places help with trips and other things as well.
I thought that was only for the free places for income under 17k ish?
halsea

Post by halsea »

I don't know the exact details of how a partial assisted place works, but the full one is under £19ishk a year. I know that when I asked them about the cost of the trips, they didn't seem that different in price than our primary school. You will still have those costs at a state school and a grammar school.
Its whether you prefer a co-ed etc. FW I was told had 150+ clubs, KES 60, but then Yes is less than 600 pupils and FW is I think around 1500.
MSD

Post by MSD »

The following link will provide all info on KES assisted places including scale of fee payable.

https://kes.org.uk/admissions/assisted-places/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Just popped in to say, I didn't know 'Five Ways' was the name of a school.

I was somewhat worried what was being discussed here :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now