Loved Five Ways

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Knitfaststaywarm

Re: Loved Five Ways

Post by Knitfaststaywarm »

[quote="halsea"]Rooroo one thing that put me off CHG was how they handled the open day. They had masses of parents in an area that they did not know, simply being told at the gate go and find somewhere random to park, no pointers or help and yet they had some space that could have been used. Five Ways big smiles, come and park on our field. FW it was a lot more organised being taken on a tour, the noise was deafening at CHG. CHG when questions were asked about music lessons, they don't offer things like piano for I can't remember the exact reason but it wasn't positive.

Would this put you off putting CHG on your CAF halsea? We are going to the opening evening on Wednesday (didn't visit any of the consortium Grammars prior to results :oops: wasn't expecting a good result!). CHG is our nearest, but I don't have any experience of the school. Feeling quite anxious now.

My dd also sat KEHS but only for a day out at 'St Trinians' factor, we didn't do any prep towards it and she's hugely excited about CHG, it's so difficult when you don't know anyone who has experience of the school community.

Five Ways sounds fab - but dd is adamant she wants a single sex school.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Knitfaststaywarm I know of a local mum whose children love Camphill and is now moving to be closer to it, because of the commute from our village. I expected to love Camphill as I had seen and heard glowing things about it. I live in a nice village and I must admit the area Camphill is in was a factor because of my child getting there and that there is no transport. We love KEHS, but the single sex factor is a negative for me, because the sort of jobs that I can see my child going into will probably be predominantly male. Boys can be amazing friends and I don't agree with the argument of avoiding, so that you can concentrate on your studies argument. Learning how to negotiate with both sexes I think is vital for the working world. So Camphill had to really wow me and it didn't. Another thing that really impressed me about FW was the general attitude of we are young adults, the Head has fostered this and encouraged them all to e.g. public speak internationally and come up with business ideas. FW has had a reputation for putting a lot of pressure on their pupils, that I can't answer, as I'm not a pupil, but I expect most places expect the best from their pupils but maybe ask about the pastoral care. FW are also constantly raising money for charity, so thinking of others is seen as a positive. When I spoke to a yr7 boy about school trips he said the school do so many that its then seen as understandable not going on them all, so pupils just pick a couple. The Head seems to really encourage learning away from the classroom as much as possible.
Good luck, I would really encourage your DD to see FW and Camphill before she makes a decision.
Knitfaststaywarm

Halsea - thank you so much. I will see if 5 ways will let us come up before the 31st and have a look around.

Best of luck with your choices for dd! :)
Bemyguest

Post by Bemyguest »

Hi Knitfast

I’m afraid KEFW is now closed for half term. School reopens on Monday 5th November.
Knitfaststaywarm

Bemyguest wrote:Hi Knitfast

I’m afraid KEFW is now closed for half term. School reopens on Monday 5th November.
:lol: Sums me up: A dollar short and a day late!

Oh well - I'm trying to get in touch with friends of friends who have had two boys there for a chat!
Faisal2110

Post by Faisal2110 »

My son was so shy that he bordered on anti-social. He had one person going there from his current school but didn't really know anybody. He went to the induction day (we actually got an offer just a couple of days before) and he absolutely loved the place. Within a few weeks he was visibly confident and he is extremely happy to go to school every morning. He now takes the green bus independently and won't even let me walk him to the bus stop! At the open evening last week he was one of the boys showing parents around - we crossed paths and I was amazed that this was the same boy! Very grateful for such a nurturing place. For me, this place beats Camp Hill and all the others and is the best school currently in Birmingham. Results don't alway show the true picture because CH boys and girls always pick the highest scorers so their scores SHOULD be the best. I know a lot of parents who have turned down CH for KEFW - this is not to say any of them are bad schools (all grammar schools are excellent) but it comes down to teaching styles and the ethos of the place.
The open evening, as someone said before, was awful at CH. SO unorganised and it really was headless chicken stuff.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

So we went to see CHB. I'm sure it's a fantastic school and well their results speak for themselves but it's not for us. Five ways will definitely be our first choice. Submitting our LEA form later this evening and then playing the waiting game.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Rooroo I'm glad you have been able to make the decision now, I'm sure your child will love FW when they go to the next open evening.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I have 2 at FW.

My son wanted a mixed sex school, and FW ticked all the boxes.

He is now in Lower Sixth (was in chemistry lab open evening). My DD is in year 9 and my niece has just started in year 7. (DD was on netball court on open evening as she is going on the netball sports tour to Barbados next year :? )

They are all very happy there, and even though each of them were the only ones from their primary schools to go, they all have a good circle of friends.

We have always been happy with the school and my son did exceptionally well in his GCSE's. He is now studying A level Maths, Physics & Chemistry.

The school has a lovely 'feel' to it and my DD is always saying how glad she is to be there!
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

nervousmom wrote:I have 2 at FW.

My son wanted a mixed sex school, and FW ticked all the boxes.

He is now in Lower Sixth (was in chemistry lab open evening). My DD is in year 9 and my niece has just started in year 7. (DD was on netball court on open evening as she is going on the netball sports tour to Barbados next year :? )

They are all very happy there, and even though each of them were the only ones from their primary schools to go, they all have a good circle of friends.

We have always been happy with the school and my son did exceptionally well in his GCSE's. He is now studying A level Maths, Physics & Chemistry.

The school has a lovely 'feel' to it and my DD is always saying how glad she is to be there!
Always great to hear positive reviews. In fact I don't think I've heard anyone say a bad word about it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now