Loved Five Ways

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rooroo

Loved Five Ways

Post by Rooroo »

So glad we went back to look. Love the head and the atmosphere there felt more laid back than out local comp! Hope anyone else who went along enjoyed it.
Faisal2110

Re: Loved Five Ways

Post by Faisal2110 »

An unbelievable school! My eldest just started in Sep and I can confirm it is northing short of brilliant. My other son took the exam this year and got 221 - agonisingly close but short. We took the opportunity of the open day to go and have a wonder around and see my eldest son's classrooms and teachers etc but it just made us more upset that the younger one missed out. A brilliant school!
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Faisal2110 wrote:An unbelievable school! My eldest just started in Sep and I can confirm it is northing short of brilliant. My other son took the exam this year and got 221 - agonisingly close but short. We took the opportunity of the open day to go and have a wonder around and see my eldest son's classrooms and teachers etc but it just made us more upset that the younger one missed out. A brilliant school!

Ahh no so close, well done to your son. It must be difficult but I guess he will find his own path to success elsewhere.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Faisal2110 wrote:An unbelievable school! My eldest just started in Sep and I can confirm it is northing short of brilliant. My other son took the exam this year and got 221 - agonisingly close but short. We took the opportunity of the open day to go and have a wonder around and see my eldest son's classrooms and teachers etc but it just made us more upset that the younger one missed out. A brilliant school!
+ 1

One things to note Rooroo is that boys do tend to out number girls in FW - by no means a negative though. I would say roughly 1/3 of the boys and in some classes a little lower. Not entirely sure why that is the case.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

MSD wrote:
+ 1

One things to note Rooroo is that boys do tend to out number girls in FW - by no means a negative though. I would say roughly 1/3 of the boys and in some classes a little lower. Not entirely sure why that is the case.
Yes the head said overall they're at about 60% boys and 40% girls. I wonder if overall boys tend to score better than the girls in the 11 plus? Would be interesting to compare boys v girls overall, not that it matters just out of curiosity.
MSD

Post by MSD »

I wouldn't think boys will necessarily be scoring higher than girls - will really depend on the ability of the cohort taking test. With this being the only co-educational grammar in Birmingham, I wonder if boys are more keener than girls to be part of the co-ed system :D
halsea

Post by halsea »

I was told by the Deputy Head it was because Five Ways used to be a boys school
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Also the highest score is for a boys school that's they other reason I thought that might be the case. Not necessarily saying boys are brighter than girls.

Yes I guess also some may just assume it's still a boys school.
MSD

Post by MSD »

It's a myth that FW doesn't attract candidates with higher scores. You will find there will be many pupils in FW, who have scored higher than CHB candidates. CHB is an excellent school and has over many years built a reputation for offering academic excellence, being number 1 on national league tables, too. So, I guess that's the reason for the cut-off to be a bit higher than FW, but again that doesn't mean anything either, as you may find, if FW only took 90 non-PP candidates rather than 150 non-PP, their cut-off, in all likelihood, will be well above 240.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Rooroo, we viewed both and felt that hands down Five Ways was our preferred choice. The Head seems great and I really like the fact she has her door open one afternoon for any pupil to come and see her. I think it was an afternoon. We also saw the ratio of 2/3 boys as a positive for our daughter as there was a great sense of positive competition. There will always be issues in teenage years, but I felt less girls meant less drama etc. Also where its situated is amazing for water sports and sports full stop and they are the leading provider of D of E in the area.