Struggling with the maths help!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Struggling with the maths help!!

Post by Guest55 »

There is absolutely no need to buy anything ...
MSD

Post by MSD »

MathsMonster wrote:Do entry tests for Schofield to see which book is most appropriate- they may be on wrong book- this is not uncommon.

https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/down ... test-a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/down ... test-b.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/down ... g-keys.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/down ... l-book.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10 minutes maths every day on Schofield will do wonders- start with book 4 or 5 providing from the entry test they are capable. It will be hard to start with, so don’t rush them just let them do what they can in 10 minutes, it will soon build up if practised daily (weekdays- I’d give them a break at the weekend). You should see improvement after a few weeks, they could redo entry test after a month or so to see their improvement.

Good luck!
I would agree it's best to check what level the child is currently working on before deciding on the reinforcements that must be put in place. And Schofield and Sims entry tests might be the best place to start to find the current level.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are other free resources for that MSD ....
MSD

Post by MSD »

We used Schofield and Sims for both my boys and all tutors I know of in Birmingham area use these too - highly recommended. And the entry tests MathsMonster suggested are free anyway.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Just because tutors use them does not mean everyone HAS to use them - use free stuff first if its good. I only recommend effective resources :)
MSD

Post by MSD »

Tutors and parents repeatedly use them because they are effective and work for them as evident in their results. And they are pretty similar in difficulty to the real CEM test. They are also reasonably priced - I suspect you can pick a set of 6 for less than £30. Worth every penny spent
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MSD - £30 may not be much to you but some people have to feed their families on that.

How many of these tutors are qualified teachers? We are not just talking about preparing for the 11+ here but learning to be a mathematician and think mathematically.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote:MSD - £30 may not be much to you but some people have to feed their families on that.

How many of these tutors are qualified teachers? We are not just talking about preparing for the 11+ here but learning to be a mathematician and think mathematically.
I am still trying to decipher how you have managed to link my original statement of certain books being "reasonably" priced and "good value for money", to me not valuing £30 enough. Anyhow, I shall skip your other questions as they are not relevant to this discussion.

While we are discussing Schofield and Sims mental arithmetic books, I highly recommend them to all future 11+ parents, alongside other Maths resources targeting CEM. They were certainly our number 1 source for tackling mental arithmetic problems in quick times.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Parents - I'd advise looking at free resources first.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would second that G55
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now