Adams result: what does the score mean?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ticketyboo

Adams result: what does the score mean?

Post by ticketyboo »

Hello! I am a newbie! My son got his Adam's result yesterday. We weren't expecting to get a score and don't know what it means. We live out of area. My son got 374. Pass mark is 300. Is it out of 400? 500? Or some kind of standardised score? Sorry if I seem ignorant. We hadn't read up on the scoring as we were told that the boys never find out their score. TIA.
Rooroo

Re: Adams result: what does the score mean?

Post by Rooroo »

ticketyboo wrote:Hello! I am a newbie! My son got his Adam's result yesterday. We weren't expecting to get a score and don't know what it means. We live out of area. My son got 374. Pass mark is 300. Is it out of 400? 500? Or some kind of standardised score? Sorry if I seem ignorant. We hadn't read up on the scoring as we were told that the boys never find out their score. TIA.
Congratulations to your son. That's a fab score. Our letter from QMGS informed us that the highest score this year was 400. It's not out of 400 though, it's a standardised score.
ticketyboo

Post by ticketyboo »

OK. Thanks.
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

My daughter's friend has a score of 308 and was hoping for Adams. Interestingly his letter does not 'strongly encourage' him to apply but says he is eligible to apply. I think there is a very slim chance indeed that he will get in off the waiting list but his mother is hopeful.

Have those of you with a 'safe' score received 'strongly encourage' letters or is the 'eligible to apply' the new wording?
ticketyboo

Post by ticketyboo »

Our letter doesn’t mention “strongly encourage” just that his results mean he would be eligible for a place. I would imagine they all get a standard letter?
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

Thanks. When we applied 3 years ago Adams sent out letters 'strongly encouraging' boys to apply which, as far as I know, went to anyone over the pass mark - I wondered if they had introduced a second 'category' this year for those closer to the borderline, but it sounds like, as you say, there is likely to be just one letter with a slightly less effusive invitation to apply!
shanthibr2

Post by shanthibr2 »

Hi all,
I am a new member to this group.
My son scored 327 in the test conducted by queen marys. We live in out of county(Warwickshire)
My Questions are
1) can this score guarantee the seat for Adams grammar school or Queen mary's school.
2)is the test conducted queen mary's common for Adams grammar school.
3) do any of the schools are 'catchment only'

Thanks and I am looking for all your valuable suggestions.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

1. Re the sharing of scores:
Boys sitting the test at Haberdashers' Adams will only receive a results letter from Adams. If you ticked the box to indicate you also have an interest in a place at Queen Mary’s Grammar School when completing the online form, you will not receive a separate letter from Queen Mary’s Grammar School- your son’s result will count for both schools. You must then include both schools on your preference form / common application form when you apply to the Local Authority.
Presume there will be similar for taking the exam at QMGS?

2. Adam;s have a catchment
In 2015 we introduced an attendance area (sometimes referred to as catchment area) for Year 7 entry with priority now given to boys who live within the school’s local area.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

shanthibr2 wrote:Hi all,
I am a new member to this group.
My son scored 327 in the test conducted by queen marys. We live in out of county(Warwickshire)
My Questions are
1) can this score guarantee the seat for Adams grammar school or Queen mary's school.
2)is the test conducted queen mary's common for Adams grammar school.
3) do any of the schools are 'catchment only'

Thanks and I am looking for all your valuable suggestions.
QMGS is not a catchment school.You take the one exam for each school.Last year the cut off was 337 and I understand went down to 333 from the waiting list.

Others are more aware of the previous results and the catchment area at Adams to advise upon the school.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

shanthibr2 wrote:      
Hello!
I don’t know about Adam’s scores last year, i’ve read someone posting a place offered at 325 OOA. The fact that Adam’s didn’t tell candidates their score last year makes it difficult to know.

I would be cautious listing QMGS with a 327 score. It is a good score, but 328 didn’t secure DS a place there last year. I can’t say with certainty but I don’t see the scores dropping much below 333. I would still list it on the CAF, along with Adams in your actual order of preference, but I would make sure that I had a very strong 3rd choice (local comp) as a back up.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now