birmingham grammars 2020 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: birmingham grammars 2020 entry

Post by ToadMum »

Ricky74 wrote:Are the rumours suggesting actually just those living in and paying council tax to BCC? Or are you meaning a radius put in place?

Surely they'd have to go by radius? E.g. somebody living in Streetly might live less than 2 miles from BVGS yet pay CT to Walsall. Whereas somebody who pays CT to BCC might live 12 miles away?
Whether it was based on a radius or some other boundary, it could not be precisely 'paying Council Tax to BCC' (or any other administrative area exactly).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

ToadMum wrote:
Ricky74 wrote:Are the rumours suggesting actually just those living in and paying council tax to BCC? Or are you meaning a radius put in place?

Surely they'd have to go by radius? E.g. somebody living in Streetly might live less than 2 miles from BVGS yet pay CT to Walsall. Whereas somebody who pays CT to BCC might live 12 miles away?
Whether it was based on a radius or some other boundary, it could not be precisely 'paying Council Tax to BCC' (or any other administrative area exactly).
Apologies. I didn't mean to suggest that but as in living within Birmingham. As some people I know live in Bearwood and when asked say the live in Birmingham but they actually live in Sandwell.
Cecilcaterpillar

Post by Cecilcaterpillar »

the comments I'd heard implied you would have to live in Birmingham and then if you scored over a certain threshold you would receive a place at your nearest Grammar school. Trying to reduce those travelling long distances to go a school which currently requires a lower score. This has other implications going forward such as Green bus routes.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Cecilcaterpillar wrote:the comments I'd heard implied you would have to live in Birmingham and then if you scored over a certain threshold you would receive a place at your nearest Grammar school.
I do not see this as fair as the GS in Birmingham are different from one to another. For a start, they do not offer the same subjects for GCSE and A levels and I guess that the provision for sport and music is not the same (it is just a guess, it is a long time since I have toured GS in Birmingham!). The way the students are pushed forward /challenged is also not the same…
Then that means that the parents who aim at a certain GS will move near this GS… Consequently, there will be a rise of house price in certain parts of Birmingham! :evil:
Maybe just a rumour :?: A few years ago, there was a rumour… that I cannot even remember :lol: :lol: (I kind of remember that it was about CH schools becoming fee paying schools!!! :shock: )!

Maybe rumours are recurrent things happening??? Like fake news? :wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If there's any truth in the rumour I would expect it to be due to the Foundation looking at the trend in "11-plus tourism" and the implications for their charitable purpose (to provide education for children of "Birmingham and the surrounding areas"). That purpose is not easily changed so no, any restriction wouldn't limit admissions to Birmingham only but would perhaps be intended to eliminate the increasing number of speculative applications from further afield.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

mike1880 wrote:but would perhaps be intended to eliminate the increasing number of speculative applications from further afield.
The increasing number of speculative applications from further afield is linked to the fact that in the late 60s and the 70s, many GS were amalgamated with a number of other local schools, to form neighbourhood comprehensive schools, though a few were closed. We are still living with the consequences of this short-sighted decision!

I agree with you, Mike.
KenR

Post by KenR »

There is some mention of admission strategy in the last published Foundation Governors accounts on the Foundation website

https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... ebsite.pdf

In particular:-
Future Plans
During 2016/17 Governors approved a new overarching mission for the
Foundation – “To make Birmingham the best place to be educated in the
UK”. Against this mission statement five objectives were agreed for the
next five years. These are underpinned by the objective to maintain and
grow the value of the Foundation’s assets including the capital
endowment.
The five objectives are to:
• Support the schools by delivering increasingly efficient and effective
support services which generate economies of scale;
• Develop an admissions strategy across our selective and
independent schools which enables the Foundation’s resources to
be better targeted at furthering our charitable purpose;
• Run and grow a Academy Trust which furthers the Foundation’s
charitable purpose;
• Raise the profile of the Foundation so that we are a voice that is
listened to on key educational issues;
• Play a proactive and tangible role in the education of Birmingham
children who do not attend a King Edward VI School.

These five objectives will provide the focus for Governors over the
coming years.
Having said that I can't see the Foundation introducing a catchment policy that gives admissions priority to B/Ham residents only - there are so many pupils at KE grammars who live in Solihull, Worcs & Sandwell. If you look at KEFW for example it's actually very close to the Worcs county boundary. A lot of ex KEFW parents would be very angry if they introduced such a restriction given that KEFW parents have historically raised large sums of money in the past to help develop the school infrastructure (e.g. the 6th form facilities).
apillow

Post by apillow »

My DD goes to KECH. This evening I received an email from school with the proposed admission change. Councili starting a consultation with a possibility to introduce catchment area for Birmingham grammar schools. The details will be available on schools site from Monday 19th Nov . We can comment by visiting Birmingham.co.uk site . Consultation will end on 7th Jan 2019.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

KenR wrote:There is some mention of admission strategy in the last published Foundation Governors accounts on the Foundation website

https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... ebsite.pdf

In particular:-
Future Plans
During 2016/17 Governors approved a new overarching mission for the
Foundation – “To make Birmingham the best place to be educated in the
UK”. Against this mission statement five objectives were agreed for the
next five years. These are underpinned by the objective to maintain and
grow the value of the Foundation’s assets including the capital
endowment.
The five objectives are to:
• Support the schools by delivering increasingly efficient and effective
support services which generate economies of scale;
• Develop an admissions strategy across our selective and
independent schools which enables the Foundation’s resources to
be better targeted at furthering our charitable purpose;
• Run and grow a Academy Trust which furthers the Foundation’s
charitable purpose;
• Raise the profile of the Foundation so that we are a voice that is
listened to on key educational issues;
• Play a proactive and tangible role in the education of Birmingham
children who do not attend a King Edward VI School.

These five objectives will provide the focus for Governors over the
coming years.
Having said that I can't see the Foundation introducing a catchment policy that gives admissions priority to B/Ham residents only - there are so many pupils at KE grammars who live in Solihull, Worcs & Sandwell. If you look at KEFW for example it's actually very close to the Worcs county boundary. A lot of ex KEFW parents would be very angry if they introduced such a restriction given that KEFW parents have historically raised large sums of money in the past to help develop the school infrastructure (e.g. the 6th form facilities).
Personal insult removed by a moderator. Please refer to form rules. Can you quote how much sums of money have been raised by parents?
Outnumbered3

Post by Outnumbered3 »

Consultation is out; details here; http://www.kefw.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catchment area and cut off scores of 205 pp and 220 for others. Likely to change the character of all schools in good and bad ways. Starting for current year 5s. Catchments and details on above link.