Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:48 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:28 pm
Posts: 4
Yes it is true - the Birmingham grammar schools are going to introduce a catchment
area.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 9127
Location: Buckinghamshire
Says who?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:28 pm
Posts: 4
They are planning on introducing a catchment area for the 2020 intake. Can this be allowed to happen? It will be a travesty if this is allowed to go ahead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 9127
Location: Buckinghamshire
Lucifer71 wrote:
They are planning on introducing a catchment area for the 2020 intake.

I repeat: Says who?

Quote:
Can this be allowed to happen?

Of course it can! All schools, grammar schools included, are allowed to define catchment areas.

Quote:
It will be a travesty if this is allowed to go ahead.

Why? The only result will be that more children will attend their local school.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm
Posts: 1762
Lucifer71 wrote:
It will be a travesty if this is allowed to go ahead.

A little over-dramatic, don't you think?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:10 pm
Posts: 62
A travesty?

If it is true, I think you mean to say it doesn't personally suit you?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:28 pm
Posts: 4
Grammar schools were established to help Britons who came from modest, often poor backgrounds, to give them the opportunity to transform their lives through education. It didn't matter where you lived, if you were capable of passing the 11+, then the gates were open to you. If they go ahead and introduce this catchment area, (like they are proposing to do) then the opportunity of an outstanding education will be removed from hundreds of children. Those who can afford to move, will or families will rent property in the catchment area, to secure their place, before moving back to where they came from. This isn't what Grammar schools were established for. Class, wealth and a catchment area shouldn't come into.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 9127
Location: Buckinghamshire
Lucifer71 wrote:
Grammar schools were established to help Britons who came from modest, often poor backgrounds, to give them the opportunity to transform their lives through education. It didn't matter where you lived, if you were capable of passing the 11+, then the gates were open to you. If they go ahead and introduce this catchment area, (like they are proposing to do) then the opportunity of an outstanding education will be removed from hundreds of children. Those who can afford to move, will or families will rent property in the catchment area, to secure their place, before moving back to where they came from. This isn't what Grammar schools were established for. Class, wealth and a catchment area shouldn't come into.

We know all of this. What we want to know is this:

Quote:
If they go ahead and introduce this catchment area, (like they are proposing to do)

Where are the facts?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 9127
Location: Buckinghamshire
Lucifer71 wrote:
It didn't matter where you lived, if you were capable of passing the 11+, then the gates were open to you.

Oh, and by the way, that is nonsense. Grammar schools were introduced nationally, back in days of yore. It didn't matter where you lived because there was a GS on your doorstep (if you were capable of passing the 11+).

What changed was that so many grammar schools were abolished in the 1970s. Places then became more sought after and an arms race evolved.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:02 pm
Posts: 929
If you're lucky enough to live in an area where children don't go to grammar schools, the chances are that your local comprehensives will be genuinely mixed ability and will cater for all children including the most able.

If you think you'll be out of catchment under any new arrangement then that's great news for your local schools, and it means your children will be able to go to a good local school rather than having to travel a long way to a grammar.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018