Catchment Areas Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Slater25

Re: Catchment Areas Birmingham

Post by Slater25 »

But if you live in the catchment it goes on distance so someone who lives next door to the school could get 220 would deffo get in yet someone who lived on the outskirts of the boundary who gets 240 may not
MSD

Post by MSD »

Slater25 wrote:But realistically if there are 180 places in a year to fill for example and say 30 got pp that leaves 150 left if those 150 who apply have scores from 230 plus then the 220 goes out the window and the 230 sets the bar so to speak
What we have to account for is that on a score of 220, you can have as many as 60+ candidates, if we go by the numbers that took test this year. Therefore, it won't be difficult for the likes of CHB to fill 90 non-PP places with just two or three of those SD points near 220. Assuming, those living closest to school end up scoring in that range. So, it's a complete lottery in terms of what the actual make-up of applicants will be at each grammar, as far as SD scores are concerned. And that's the primary concern some of Camphill catchment residents currently have.
Last edited by MSD on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Slater25 wrote:But if you live in the catchment it goes on distance so someone who lives next door to the school could get 220 would deffo get in yet someone who lived on the outskirts of the boundary who gets 240 may not
You need to read the criteria - category 4. Siblings come first, then it’s distance from school. So yes, you could score 240 but not get in if you were at the furthest point of the catchment area.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think we can take it for granted that Sutton Coldfield and Stratford will be impacted for at most one year. I would think the Sutton Coldfield schools will be likely to coordinate catchments with the Foundation schools from 2021 (which will help to even out coverage of the city) and the Warwickshire schools will be quite likely to shrink their priority circles.
Emmal

Post by Emmal »

MSD wrote:Just putting across the general sentiment out there :D
That's simply not true. Your post does not reflect the "general sentiment" at all, as is clear from the widely different views on this forum alone. Your post just reflects a few voices belonging to a certain type of parent (and I'm fascinated by how you have access to these views expressed to tutors in the first place!!) The "general sentiment" will become evident during the consultation - I urge everyone affected to take part, whether you support the proposals or not.
MSD

Post by MSD »

mike1880 wrote:I think we can take it for granted that Sutton Coldfield and Stratford will be impacted for at most one year. I would think the Sutton Coldfield schools will be likely to coordinate catchments with the Foundation schools from 2021 (which will help to even out coverage of the city) and the Warwickshire schools will be quite likely to shrink their priority circles.
Yes, that will be consistent with this proposal but they might be reluctant to follow suit and delighted to see some of top scores knocking on their door
MSD

Post by MSD »

Emmal wrote:and I'm fascinated by how you have access to these views expressed to tutors in the first place!!
I just get on with couple of very respected Birmingham tutors my boys have used for 11+ in the past :)
Last edited by MSD on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakings1900

Post by lakings1900 »

I think CH will be affected the most by these changes. I live in the area and know plenty of Children who scored 220+ but are forced to commute across town instead of accessing their local GS school and would be very surprised if category 5 is used for either CH school. This conversely will increase the likeliness of other schools using the category 5 criteria. Will the 220 figure change each year if more in catchment area children qualify or will another criteria be introduced?

One of the comments made by another parent is what will happen to the Outstanding secondary schools in Moseley and Kings Heath (Queensbridge, Wheelers Lane and Swanshurst)? Will the result dip as more local kids who would of refused other grammar's due to travel and went to to local comp or will it increase as more people move to the area to chance the grammar system and have a fall back of an outstanding comp?
MSD

Post by MSD »

lakings1900 wrote: One of the comments made by another parent is what will happen to the Outstanding secondary schools in Moseley and Kings Heath (Queensbridge, Wheelers Lane and Swanshurst)? Will the result dip as more local kids who would of refused other grammar's due to travel and went to to local comp or will it increase as more people move to the area to chance the grammar system and have a fall back of an outstanding comp?
Quite difficult to predict the trends for local comps in Camp Hill catchment. From what I am hearing, and this is just a very small selection of likely CHB/G entrants, a proportion of the high scorers in that catchment might just go down the route of KES/KEHS or Sutton/Stratford. Scores closer to 220+ will pick CHB/G, who in normal circumstances would have gone to these outstanding comps. So, I can only think of comps getting slightly lower KE scores starting with 2020 entry. Again, these are just assumptions at this stage.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

MSD wrote:
lakings1900 wrote: One of the comments made by another parent is what will happen to the Outstanding secondary schools in Moseley and Kings Heath (Queensbridge, Wheelers Lane and Swanshurst)? Will the result dip as more local kids who would of refused other grammar's due to travel and went to to local comp or will it increase as more people move to the area to chance the grammar system and have a fall back of an outstanding comp?
Quite difficult to predict the trends for local comps in Camp Hill catchment. From what I am hearing, and this is just a very small selection of likely CHB/G entrants, a proportion of the high scorers in that catchment might just go down the route of KES/KEHS or Sutton/Stratford. Scores closer to 220+ will pick CHB/G, who in normal circumstances would have gone to these outstanding comps. So, I can only think of comps getting slightly lower KE scores starting with 2020 entry. Again, these are just assumptions at this stage.
I wonder if this will have an impact on how parents decide this coming March? Will they still head for Camp Hill or Five Ways knowing that there will be lower entries for 2020? Had this been implemented for 2019 entry, my son would of had a guaranteed entry for our first choice school. But as it currently stands, we are guaranteed for our second choice which is further away. This sort of proposal would of been in our favour.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now