Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

adhdad

Re: Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 2020

Post by adhdad »

Hi,

Can anyone let me know what the qualifying score for pp will be, will they have to also score 220.

thankyou
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

adhdad wrote:Hi,

Can anyone let me know what the qualifying score for pp will be, will they have to also score 220.

thankyou
From page 1 of this thread I think it is 205....
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

As already stated, there aren't any percentages except the 25% max for category 3. It's in priority order by category. It's theoretically possible (but very unlikely) that 100% of places would be offered to category 1, somewhat more likely (but still very unlikely) that 100% would be offered to category 1 and 2.

My guess is that very few offers will be made to Category 3.

I don't believe the 220 score has made it into the admissions policy, the actual score will be decided later (perhaps they want to see the actual exam results for 2020 before they decide on the qualifying score??? not sure that would make it past a complaint to the Schools Adjudicator). Similarly, the PP score has not been announced yet.

Edit to add: the policy states:
The qualifying score and priority score will be published on the school website and http://www.birminghamgrammarschools.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; prior to the entrance test.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

adhdad wrote:Hi,

thankyou

Looking at a random KE school's website, the admissions policy for 2020 says:

The qualifying score and priority score will be published on the school
website and http://www.birminghamgrammarschools.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; prior to the entrance test.

https://www.kefw.org/admissions
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
blaart

Post by blaart »

mike1880 wrote: The Foundation is clearly very serious about targetting poorer families in the local area.

Mike
The sentiment may be altruistic, but the implementation is flawed. CHB/CHG - often seen as the premium KE schools - are actually in the affluent Kings Heath/Moseley area. Those living in these £300k+ houses will have a distinct advantage over kids from the less affluent (e.g. Sparkhill, Acocks Green) areas. And we shall only see further house price inflation in Kings heath & Moseley.

That's why using the crow flies distance as the main criteria is flawed.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Category 4 is ranked by distance I agree, but the Foundation doesn't expect to fill the school from category 4. And seriously, if you can afford to move to an affluent area to get your children into a good school, why on earth would you pick Moseley or Kings Heath?

Edit to add - the medical and academic families from Edgbaston and Harborne will now send their children to Five Ways and Handsworth instead of CHB/CHG, I would expect that to have a substantial effect on perceptions of the relative standing of the various schools.
blaart

Post by blaart »

mike1880 wrote:Category 4 is ranked by distance I agree, but the Foundation doesn't expect to fill the school from category 4. And seriously, if you can afford to move to an affluent area to get your children into a good school, why on earth would you pick Moseley or Kings Heath?

Edit to add - the medical and academic families from Edgbaston and Harborne will now send their children to Five Ways and Handsworth instead of CHB/CHG, I would expect that to have a substantial effect on perceptions of the relative standing of the various schools.
Surely Category 4 is precisely where the non-PP (i.e. the remaining 75% of PAN) will come from?

Agree with your second point, though it will take some time for perceptions to change.
Ceinwen

Post by Ceinwen »

blaart wrote: though it will take some time for perceptions to change.
Let’s first see if these new admissions arrangements have been done lawfully or not.

May I remind you that Iago in Othello conceals his real nature behind a facade of honesty and is trusted by all, whereas, in his dealings, he is m - - - - - - - - - - - .
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I suspect anyone expecting or hoping for a root-and-branch rejection of the 2020 admission arrangements, either by the OSA or by the courts, is in for a sad disappointment.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

blaart wrote:Surely Category 4 is precisely where the non-PP (i.e. the remaining 75% of PAN) will come from?
As I said, the Foundation does not expect to fill all the remaining places (around 75%) from cat 4. They expect all cat 4 applicants to receive an offer, hence the oversubscription criteria for cat 4 *should* be irrelevant.

I'm sure a small minority of parents will seek to move to Kings Heath and Moseley. However, success at 11+ is not guaranteed; some of them will be disappointed and their local non-GS alternatives will probably be less satisfactory than the schools they chose to leave behind when they moved (we can be absolutely certain that the perceived quality of the other schools in Moseley and Kings Heath will decline when what would have been their top stream are attending Camp Hill instead).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now