Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MSD

Re: Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 220

Post by MSD »

quasimodo wrote:The foundation are going a step further by increasing pupil premium children from 20% to 25% in their proposals.They have the figures and that’s their view on how far they can push it at present.In everything there is a balance to be maintained.
The foundation will be able to make its own assessments in 2020 and 2022 when the pupil premium cohorts take their first GCSE’s and A levels and how many of the pupil premium cohort went on from their GCSE ‘s to take A levels.
Like everything the Foundation do its a work in progress.
Thanks Quasi - makes sense. Yes, always necessary to maintain a balance, but if one wishes to fulfill the founding principles of the organisation, they have to go all out, rather than sending mixed signals. In fact, admitting far less candidates based on financial means has to be a bigger crime.
I know always easier said than done though :)
MSD

Post by MSD »

mike1880 wrote:My personal opinion FWIW is that they should just have a 205 qualification for PP, select on catchment initially and then OOC purely on distance, and similarly a straight 220 for non-PP with automatic entry in catchment and with OOC likewise purely on distance. That would meet pretty much all the objections we've heard so far. Anyone who is closer to an OOC GS than to their own catchment school could still put their nearer school as first choice and have a prospect of getting in, as would people over the border in Bearwood etc.

It would not, of course, meet the objections of the would-be Camp Hill parent who apparently object to the levelling of qualification scores.
Yeah, at least that will be consistent with what they are trying to achieve. Although, I am not in favour of the current proposals and considering they get a green light, I would increase PP participation further while they are at it; and have no fixed limit in terms of numbers entering. Set the minimum qualifying score of 205 and then distance from school. If all places are not filled, then potentially go out of catchment looking for PP children. If still not filled, look at 220+ candidates within catchment. Best of both worlds - only right the priority is given to local and bright children not having the financial means - in line with Quasi's post earlier. And maybe also look at revising the current rules on who qualifies for a PP place. Sorted!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I would submit the current proposals cut out students from neighbouring areas of poverty which the current Handsworth schools and KEFW in the KE foundation have been able to attract students from.These are some of the poorest towns in the country.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 40696.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The current proposals cuts out West Bromwich and Walsall.Walsall has its own grammar schools whereas West Bromwich does not.Both are two of the most deprived cities in England.

They should look at proposals to have pp children from West Brom as it borders on the two Handsworth schools and the children from the area are in much closer proximity to the school than many of the proposed wards from Sutton Coldfield.If necessary the foundation should amend its charitable purposes to include the area of West Bromwich.
SC has its own grammar schools and is an area of affluence with its own grammar schools and very good comprehensives.Under the current proposals children from the Sutton Coldfield area would be able to access grammar schools in SC,Handsworth and Walsall.

These proposals and or changes will have knock on effects.My wife was telling me the Walsall Grammars used to have catchments when it was much easier for local children to access them.Considering the rising scores for non pp access to QM boys will there be changes.It will be unfair if Birmingham children can access the Walsall schools but not vice versa.
Will there be changes in the catchment for the Sutton Coldfield grammars ?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
MSD

Post by MSD »

quasimodo wrote:It will be unfair if Birmingham children can access the Walsall schools but not vice versa
Will there be changes in the catchment for the Sutton Coldfield grammars ?
I think Mike mentioned earlier that Sutton Girls and BV may change to catchments in coming years. I would also add Wolverhampton Girls to that list Quasi.
quasimodo wrote: They should look at proposals to have pp children from West Brom as it borders on the two Handsworth schools and the children
Yes, if they remove all limits on PP participation(rather than 25% proposed), giving priority first to catchment and then OOC, you may find all West Brom PP children will qualify.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

This thread was meant to be a "sticky" with information about the new catchment areas - unfortunately it had rather drifted away from that and there had been complaints about some of the posts. I have removed these and hope that the discussion can now continue in a friendly and less argumentative way
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

MSD wrote:I think Mike mentioned earlier that Sutton Girls and BV may change to catchments in coming years. I would also add Wolverhampton Girls to that list Quasi.
I think Mike is right that catchments may come for the two Sutton schools.They would be wise to wait to see the impact of the changes in the KE grammars first.I must admit my elder sister in laws family have been thinking of moving to the Sutton Coldfield area and I had been arguing against the move.Now from a schooling point of view for her grandchildren who are only about 4 or 5 it would make sense.Good local grammars,good local primary schools and comprehensives and because they are part of Birmingham access to the KE grammars on the present proposals at KE Aston and KE Handsworth for girls.Further to that you have access to a number of independent schools in and around Birmingham.

In relation to Wolverhampton Girls I have to disagree with catchment coming any time soon.The school has just begun the pp process and will be admitting 20 girls in September 2019. Admission set at a floor below which the school believes a girl would not benefit from an education at the school.They have four school coaches going to areas like Stafford,Stourbridge and Walsall. They have a very wide catchment area.You have to consider that they are on the outer edge of the Birmingham conurbation and any reduction in catchment would impact on entrance score cut offs and the school in my view would not want to repeat the experience of 2013 when the lowest cut off under the old system fell to 297.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Was that for 2013 entry? If so, presimably the school had its worst ever GCSE results this summer just gone?
Last edited by ToadMum on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

ToadMum wrote:Was that for 3013 entry? If so, presimably the school had its worst ever GCSE results this summer just gone?
I don't think it was 3013 :wink:

I didn't want to say too much until I had analysed the results.My present information was anecdotal.

The headline results were a little down.I wanted to look at the figures, how many took what exams and in which subjects.They have yet to be put on the website.

Abraham Lincoln
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

quasimodo wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Was that for 3013 entry? If so, presimably the school had its worst ever GCSE results this summer just gone?
I don't think it was 3013 :wink:
:lol:

Memo to self, use greater caution when posting on Greater Anglia...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MSD

Post by MSD »

quasimodo wrote: In relation to Wolverhampton Girls I have to disagree with catchment coming any time soon.The school has just begun the pp process and will be admitting 20 girls in September 2019. Admission set at a floor below which the school believes a girl would not benefit from an education at the school.They have four school coaches going to areas like Stafford,Stourbridge and Walsall. They have a very wide catchment area.You have to consider that they are on the outer edge of the Birmingham conurbation and any reduction in catchment would impact on entrance score cut offs and the school in my view would not want to repeat the experience of 2013 when the lowest cut off under the old system fell to 297.
Good to see WHG going down the PP route Quasi. I really hope KE grammars increase PP participation further from the current 25%.