Grammar or scholarship in independent school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Re: Grammar or scholarship in independent school

Post by mike1880 »

Guest55 wrote:How many students are in the sixth form at St Martins? If it's the one I found then it's far too small ...
That's probably the one then, that was exactly my conclusion eight or so years ago.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Nereida wrote: if you could choose between a place at a grammar school of your choice and a scholarship/assisted place at an independent school, what would you prefer and why?
Nereida wrote: My logic was that it would look good on her CV to have an academic scholarship at an indie. (Although, I don't know if having a grammar school would be better in this regard).
Head of private schools will advertise their school by discoursing on their nice grounds, the swimming pool *, the extra-curricular activities, the pastoral care, etc.
I know well a child who was very excited by KES, an independent school with a well- established reputation and which is not too low in the league tables of independent schools ( i.e. its reputation and its results are far better than St Martin's; there is no brainer in that).
This child was offered an academic scholarship at KES, but the family chose CHB over KES because the prospect of very high fees for many years would have been an unbearable strain on that family and it was obvious that, from an academic point of view, the child would be as well helped and challenged to fulfil his potential at CHB that he would have been at KES.

I have always found extraordinary that a year spent at an independent school is more expensive than a year at university.

-------------
* There is a swimming pool at the CH schools. In fact when I moved from Sutton Coldfield to Kings Heath, I was not aware that this pool is used by the Camp Hill Swimming Club and I used to drive my DS to St Martin’s for him to get his swimming lessons there!!!! :evil: Now that I have realised that he can go and swim at CH swimming pool, he goes locally without me wasting my time in the traffic and working on my laptop on the pool side! :D
MSD

Post by MSD »

JaneEyre wrote: In fact when I moved from Sutton Coldfield to Kings Heath
You have had best of both worlds there Jane - cut down on the commute to school when it really mattered, and now sit back and enjoy the appreciation on a property that's next door to CH schools :)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

MSD wrote:
JaneEyre wrote: In fact when I moved from Sutton Coldfield to Kings Heath
You have had best of both worlds there Jane - cut down on the commute to school when it really mattered, and now sit back and enjoy the appreciation on a property that's next door to CH schools :)
Exactly! :D

And now I sit back and look at this idea of catchment area for GS in Birmingham. I am against this proposal though I might think that another type of proposal might be useful... But a possible increase of house price in Kings Heath would be good for my wallet as I do not have any other child after my DS and could move out of this neighbourhood once his A level are over!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

House prices for typical family homes in Aylesbury have gone through the roof in the last few years, with the town's three grammar schools contributing to that I'm sure. A pretty normal three-bed detached house on the south side of town within a mile of two of them and a mile and a half of the other could have been bought for £240k in 2012. In fact, that's what one of my neighbours sold for. Today, the same house is on the market for £450k and has sold SSC within a week.
MSD

Post by MSD »

JaneEyre wrote: Exactly! :D

And now I sit back and look at this idea of catchment area for GS in Birmingham. I am against this proposal though I might think that another type of proposal might be useful... But a possible increase of house price in Kings Heath would be good for my wallet as I do not have any other child after my DS and could move out of this neighbourhood once his A level are over!
Haha - some clever tactics there! Putting my thinking hat on, maximum reward to be gained while things are still up in the air and results not fully settled. Might not be such an attractive proposition few years down the line. You've got to make hay while the sun shines.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

MSD wrote: Haha - some clever tactics there! Putting my thinking hat on, maximum reward to be gained while things are still up in the air and results not fully settled. Might not be such an attractive proposition few years down the line. You've got to make hay while the sun shines.
I think I will stay where I am for the time being... I will attend the Admission Consultation Meeting very soon, just by curiosity and to stay 'in-the-know'. I hope to meet you there, MSD!
MSD

Post by MSD »

oh! Where and when?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

MSD wrote:oh! Where and when?
At CHB, for parents, carers, staff and pupils. I will send you by pm a copy of the mail.

For parents and carers reading this forum who do not have a child at CHB, if you would like to attend such an Admissions Consultation Meeting, I suggest that you ask that such an event is organised, either by getting in touch with the GS your child attend if you have already one child in a GS, either by getting in touch with the Foundation.

If you are a parent or a carer of a child at CHB, if you have not received an email concerning this Admissions Consultation Meeting, you can pm me so that we find out what has gone wrong and I could then send you a copy of the mail by pm or the school will send you an email.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now