Grammar or scholarship in independent school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nereida

Re: Grammar or scholarship in independent school

Post by Nereida »

solimum wrote:
By contrast I don't know anyone who sent their daughter to St Martins - it definitely makes less impact locally
We've missed the application deadline for other independents, St Martins was the only one remaining, hence this is where we've applied. To be honest, two months ago I couldn't even dream of sending my DD to an indie school. This seemed entirely out of our universe as we'd never be abe to afford the fees. It was a random comment by one friend who commented on DD's 11+ test result, "wow, she can now even go to a private school for free", that made me to start researching the subject. Then I discoverer that indeed private schools do provide scholarships and bursaries. I'm a foreigner, I came from a totally different educational system and totally unaware of how all this works in the UK. I only ever knew about Ofsted ratings and existence of catchment areas. All my efforts in the last year were focused on moving house so that we end up in a good school's catchment area. I didn't even know about 11+ test and existence of grammar schools till May! We've started studying for 11+ at home in June (no time or money for tutoring), worked for whole summer, then had her results in October, got excited about them, and only then after this conversation with a friend I thought "maybe we should really try for a scholarship?". Of course, if I planned for this properly well in advance, I probably would have applied to different indies.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You may find that the good local schools have a better academic record than a not so good indie.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, just because a school is independent doesn't mean that it is better than a state school.
scary mum
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

scary mum wrote:Yes, just because a school is independent doesn't mean that it is better than a state school.
Indeed, our only option for a boys independent is worse (in terms of results) than our local secondary.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Why would you want to put her in a second rate indy just because its an indy and you might be able to get it free?

Surely your decision making is going to be a bit more rigorous than it is an indy and a friend told you that you might be able to get it for free?

St Martins seems to be for those who have not managed to get into the higher rank indys and the grammars.

Our local indy is stuffed full of those who didnt pass any of the grammar or other indies.

Your dd has done very well and has a wonderful life ahead of her.

She does not need to be at the indy, she needs to be with other academically focused students who have worked hard and secure the results. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

One of my friends tells me that she bitterly regrets the £75000+ she has so far spent on her children's education, given the fact that one has managed a handful of 4s and 5s and the other is likely to do worse.
If you are from a different country you need to understand that there are highly selective independent schools and then there are (often tiny) schools where teaching is very poor, results are relatively poor, progress is poor and the thing the schools do best is PR and managing to convince otherwise intelligent parents that this is the best school for their child. I'm not saying this is what St Martin's is like (I've no idea) but don't let yourself believe that, just because some people are prepared to pay large amounts for something, it has to better than the free alternative.
ETA and there are really good indies that are neither highly selective nor bad at teaching - but you'll usually hear lots of people praising them. It would worry me that not many people (in an area where schools seem to be well known and people seem to care about them) know much about this one...
Nereida

Post by Nereida »

Daogroupie wrote:Why would you want to put her in a second rate indy just because its an indy and you might be able to get it free?

Surely your decision making is going to be a bit more rigorous than it is an indy and a friend told you that you might be able to get it for free?

St Martins seems to be for those who have not managed to get into the higher rank indys and the grammars.

Our local indy is stuffed full of those who didnt pass any of the grammar or other indies.

Your dd has done very well and has a wonderful life ahead of her.

She does not need to be at the indy, she needs to be with other academically focused students who have worked hard and secure the results. DG

When we applied I didn't have much information, and decided it wouldn't hurt to have some choice. Now at least we can compare and decide what would be better. My logic was that it would look good on her CV to have an academic scholarship at an indie. (Although, I don't know if having a grammar school would be better in this regard). DD also seems to be very impressed with St Martins and look very excited about going there, and I don't want to disappoint her. (Although, she hasn't been to Camp Hill yet - will need to take her and ensure she loves it too).

After some thinking I tend to agree with you and I'm grateful for brainstorming all these arguments against. It's really helpful to have more knowledeable people around, as I don't want to make a terrible mistake which would hurt her future. It looks like to Camp Hill she goes :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How many students are in the sixth form at St Martins? If it's the one I found then it's far too small ...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

To be brutally honest, most universities and employers won’t give a flying fig if she has an academic scholarship from a relatively unheard of school, or that she goes to a Grammar School.

What they are more likely to care about is good grades, evidence of a well rounded individual and a passion for whatever she is applying for.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Nereida, is it only your DD who hasn't visited your first preference state school, or have at least you / your OH had a look round? Has she visited any other schools?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now