Birmingham grammar priority areas

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nereida

Birmingham grammar priority areas

Post by Nereida »

Hello all,
please forgive me for a stupid question but I'm a novice to all this 11+ game and very anxious for my daughter's future. Do Birmingham grammar schools have any priority areas or do they take anyone based on a score regardless of where they reside?
We currently live in Warwickshire and my DD did her test there (got 251). Results weer shared with Birm. But we are currently house hunting in Solihull. Strictly spreaking, that's not Birm. Our first choice would be King Edward Camp Hill for girls. Based on her score she does qualify. Should I expect any issues regarding proof of address? What would you advise?

Also, how does the process work in terms of where to apply? Do I simply submit a normal application form to Warwickshire council indicating Camp Hill as my first preference?
helen0209

Re: Birmingham grammar priority areas

Post by helen0209 »

Nereida wrote:Hello all,
please forgive me for a stupid question but I'm a novice to all this 11+ game and very anxious for my daughter's future. Do Birmingham grammar schools have any priority areas or do they take anyone based on a score regardless of where they reside?
We currently live in Warwickshire and my DD did her test there (got 251). Results weer shared with Birm. But we are currently house hunting in Solihull. Strictly spreaking, that's not Birm. Our first choice would be King Edward Camp Hill for girls. Based on her score she does qualify. Should I expect any issues regarding proof of address? What would you advise?

Also, how does the process work in terms of where to apply? Do I simply submit a normal application form to Warwickshire council indicating Camp Hill as my first preference?
There are no priority areas for Birmingham grammar schools - providing you have the required score you could live in Manchester and secure a place.

Just complete your CAF with your local LA and put CHG as first preference.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Make sure you put the school you want first on your CAF and submit it before the deadline of 31st October. Warwickshire do have priority areas but this is not an issue for you if you want a Birmingham school and can get there (even if you have not moved from Warks by then).
Nereida

Post by Nereida »

Thanks a lot! That's very reassuring :) At least one less thing to worry about after all these sleepless nights :)
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Nereida, well done to your daughter - that is a fantastic score. All the best with the house hunting!
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Amazes me how people take the time to register on a forum and post questions, to receive advice from good intentioned people who may or may not get it right.

If you are unsure of a school's admission policy, visit their website. Would you not look into this before sharing results?
MSD

Post by MSD »

Very well done to your daughter Nereida on a fantastic score. And welcome to forum and please feel free to ask any further questions
Tonythetiger

Post by Tonythetiger »

I’ve heard a few mutterings that Birmingham are going to be considering catchments/priority areas. Has anyone else? Presumably, if this were ever to happen, there would need to be some sort of consultation process?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Yes, I believe things will be changing in Bham - 2020 entry probably.
Last edited by nervousmom on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Wildfuture wrote:Amazes me how people take the time to register on a forum and post questions, to receive advice from good intentioned people who may or may not get it right.

If you are unsure of a school's admission policy, visit their website. Would you not look into this before sharing results?
The forum is here for us 'good intentioned' people to offer our advice to novices.

Between us 'good intentioned ' people we have a large number of years of 11+ experience and are happy to offer our advice to the 'newbies' in plain to understand language.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now