Save our Grammar Schools from the proposed changes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Save our Grammar Schools from the proposed changes

Post by kenyancowgirl »

....actually "Grammar Schools" themselves are probably the best example of this, full stop!! They were set up to help the bright but poor but are now majority filled with middle class children whose parents may well have used independent primaries and would have used independent secondaries if the GS place didn't come up....

Any system is open to abuse - the abuse has to be limited as much as possible - this system is also about reducing travel times and, equating the GS across the area - I can see both those happening.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

piggys wrote:I'll ask again: what are your objections, OP?
I have a number of reasons, which I have added to the consultation.

1 of the ressons is my daughter's safety!

She currently has a 35 minute journey on the Green Bus. This specific service will no doubt be cancelled at some point as it covers the now out of catchment area.

Her new journey will be 1 hour 42 minutes. Which will consist of a train journey and 2 buses!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:....actually "Grammar Schools" themselves are probably the best example of this, full stop!! They were set up to help the bright but poor but are now majority filled with middle class children whose parents may well have used independent primaries and would have used independent secondaries if the GS place didn't come up...
Absolutely right. There's a tremendous irony about this petition, which is all about "saving" the grammar schools from the sort of social mobility for which they were supposedly created. It's protectionism, pure and simple.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Who is the lady who's email address is included in the first post?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I assumed it's the person who set up the petition.
Emmal

Post by Emmal »

Think Jayne Francis is a Birmingham Councillor, no doubt portfolio holder for education?
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

So Birmingham Council object to the proposals then? That's what this implies
Emmal

Post by Emmal »

anotherdad wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:....actually "Grammar Schools" themselves are probably the best example of this, full stop!! They were set up to help the bright but poor but are now majority filled with middle class children whose parents may well have used independent primaries and would have used independent secondaries if the GS place didn't come up...
Absolutely right. There's a tremendous irony about this petition, which is all about "saving" the grammar schools from the sort of social mobility for which they were supposedly created. It's protectionism, pure and simple.
Perfectly put kenyancowgirl and anotherdad!!

I do understand the worry about current travel arrangements, although it's impossible to predict what would happen. IF anything does change on public transport routes perhaps affected parents could get together to sort something out? Just as they would have done if the bus routes were to change for some other arbitrary reason. LEAs always remind parents that they are responsible for travel no matter what just before they select schools on the CAF.
Emmal

Post by Emmal »

Wildfuture wrote:So Birmingham Council object to the proposals then? That's what this implies
I thought the petition is addressed to her, rather than started by her....
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

This must be an extremely worrying and unnerving time for those parents who have submitted their CAF for 2019 entry, without being aware of the proposed changes for 2020.

My niece has just started at FW and is now out of catchment. She did receive an offer at Alcester Grammar school. If her parents had been aware of these proposed changes, they would have kept the AGS place.